PDA

View Full Version : Faulty ntl:255?

auroraonline
19-07-2009, 20:03
hi, i'm new, but after having numerous connection problems, i thought it'd be a good idea to join the forum.

About two weeks after upgrading to 10mb (woo hoo), i found i was still getting 2mb download speeds. so i changed my ntl:250 modem for the ntl:255 modem that i was sent when i re-subscribed to VM.

Although i had to re-enter all my details via their "click here to activate" page, all worked fine and i was finally recieving 10mb!

Until tonight when every thing stopped and what i get now is the "click here to activate page", then "congartulations, you are already a customer, please click FINISH to complete the process".

This does not work!

windows network and sharing centre says i am connected, but i cannot access any pages.

swapping back to the ntl:250 has rectified the problem, but reinstated 2mb speed.

1 point i should make is, i am a little late with this months bill (2 weeks), outgoing calls and some channels are barred.

Has my connection been cancelled for this reason? or do i have a faulty ntl:250 or maybe PC settings?

cheers

Ryan

Peter_
19-07-2009, 23:13
hi, i'm new, but after having numerous connection problems, i thought it'd be a good idea to join the forum.

About two weeks after upgrading to 10mb (woo hoo), i found i was still getting 2mb download speeds. so i changed my ntl:250 modem for the ntl:255 modem that i was sent when i re-subscribed to VM.

Although i had to re-enter all my details via their "click here to activate" page, all worked fine and i was finally recieving 10mb!

Until tonight when every thing stopped and what i get now is the "click here to activate page", then "congartulations, you are already a customer, please click FINISH to complete the process".

This does not work!

windows network and sharing centre says i am connected, but i cannot access any pages.

swapping back to the ntl:250 has rectified the problem, but reinstated 2mb speed.

1 point i should make is, i am a little late with this months bill (2 weeks), outgoing calls and some channels are barred.

Has my connection been cancelled for this reason? or do i have a faulty ntl:250 or maybe PC settings?

cheers

Ryan
The new modem has to be added to your account by Tech Support before it will work otherwise you will continue to have a flashing ready light.

You need to call them on 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and tell the HFC MAC address from the base of your modem, should take around 5 minutes to activate it.

auroraonline
20-07-2009, 00:27
the new modem had been working fine for over a week, and the ready light was constant. do i still need to ring 151 and give em the mac address?

moaningmags
20-07-2009, 00:29
No, if it has previously been constant then that means you've already registered it.

auroraonline
20-07-2009, 01:09
so any ideas why it stopped working?

moaningmags
20-07-2009, 01:12
If you call 150 and answer some security questions the agent will be able to tell you if non payment is what's causing the problem.
Is your ready light still flashing? Open your web browser when connected to the modem and type in 192.168.100.1 press enter click login username is root password is root
press enter.
Once in the page click on Upstream
What does it say for upstream lock and upstream transmit power level?

auroraonline
20-07-2009, 22:34
this is what it says for the working NTL:250

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

moaningmags
20-07-2009, 22:43
On the one that isn't working what info does that have?
There's a tab in there I can't remember which one that tells you network access allowed or denied.
On the one that doesnt work which does it have?

auroraonline
20-07-2009, 22:57
will check...

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

from 'faulty' ntl:255

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 43.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

and in
Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10000000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 64000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

moaningmags
20-07-2009, 22:59
That's weird.
I expected to see it as denied.
Give them a call, it's possible someone has thought they were removing the old modem from your account and has accidentally removed the new one.

auroraonline
20-07-2009, 23:03
ok thanks

but is the ntl:250 limited to 2mb (either hardware or software?)

if software, can it be altered manually?

moaningmags
20-07-2009, 23:06
Nope, it's not limited by software. It's only limited by your account so if you put the new modem on and get 2Mb but with the old get you get 10Mb it's something on the account causing it.