PDA

View Full Version : Looking at XXL...have some questions

Alexstein
19-07-2009, 16:00
Hi all. Firstly let me thank anyone who answers my questions.

I am currently signed up with Bethere on the 24mb package. Unfortunatly due to the distance from the exchange that i live i only get a 5mb connection at best. I beleive i am about 3.8km (routed path, not straight line) from my exchange.

My local exchange is West Hendon - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LWHEN

I have a few questions regarding the service and speed that may be atainable.

1. Where are the local end points that the modem communicates with to obtain its connection speed? Is it the exchange or the green bt box on the street (which is only 50m from the house)

2. Will i still need a MAC code if i am adding a cable service to my address. Would be good to test the speed of the line whilst continuing with my current isp and having the option to cancel the xxl package without disruption to the current DSL line.

3. What modem is provided and can i use this in bridged mode. I run a VPN connection from a linksys RV082 router which is currently running in bridged mode to my Bethere modem.

4. Any idea how often the dynamic IP address that is assigned changes? for VPN purposes would be usefull if it is a long lease that is assigned.

5. Is it in my interest to take a 20mb package and upgrade from there or are the 50mbit speeds obtainable from the distance i am from the exchange(about 3.8km)?

6. Are the installation engineers willing to locate the master cable socket anywhere in the house or do they always terminate it at the nearest place to the front door?

7. Are there any issues with contention normally of an evening? I understand this is a per area specific question but generally speaking is the virgin network saturated or is their capacity fine?

Thanks again in advance for the replies.

Alex

Ignitionnet
19-07-2009, 16:13
1) Doesn't matter the network uses amplification so that distance is irrelevant.
2) No MAC, won't affect DSL service.
3) The modem can only be used in bridge mode, it is exactly that, a modem. They also supply a router, it's at your discretion whether you use it and how. It also supports bridging mode.
4) The IP addresses are sticky, they will only change when you change the device you attach to the cable modem, or when there is a network reconfiguration on Virgin's side.
5) Again, distance isn't an issue on cable.
6) They will place the modem anywhere you wish it to go.
7) No, the 50Mbit network has no congestion at the moment. The Virgin network as a whole is fine for capacity.

Ta.

yorkshireborn
19-07-2009, 16:15
1 green box at end of certain streets

2 no no mac code needed

3 ?

4 ?

5 depends on wot u want from it a lot of downloading then 50meg

6 they will put it where you want it

7 ive had no real issues but depends how many have virgin in your area

Alexstein
19-07-2009, 16:25
Thanks for the replies gents

As a product would you recommend the XXL broadband?

Rik
19-07-2009, 16:36

Yes absolutely.
Extremely happy with my 50Mb :)

dhiren92
19-07-2009, 16:55
Yes absolutely.
Extremely happy with my 50Mb :)

Soo am i =D was quite worried with all these problems that people had been saying but i havent had a problem yet and touch wood nothing does happy =)

Ignitionnet
19-07-2009, 17:08

Yes - if it works for you it will work extremely well. If it doesn't God help you ;)

moroboshi
19-07-2009, 17:46
7) No, the 50Mbit network has no congestion at the moment. The Virgin network as a whole is fine for capacity.

Ta.

Excuse me while I split my sides with laughter. There are many areas with chronic over subscription.

The 50mbit side of things though I can imagine is much better. I just had it installed myself and I went from a 10mbit connection which for months struggled to get 1mbit, to a connection which averages around 45mbits and is often 49-50mbits.

I hope it lasts.

Ignitionnet
19-07-2009, 19:41
Excuse me while I split my sides with laughter. There are many areas with chronic over subscription.

The 50mbit side of things though I can imagine is much better. I just had it installed myself and I went from a 10mbit connection which for months struggled to get 1mbit, to a connection which averages around 45mbits and is often 49-50mbits.

I hope it lasts.

True but I said the network as a whole, I wasn't discussing local areas. I am very aware of local issues - my main motivation for upgrading from 20Mbit was so that I could get better than 6 - 12Mbit at peak times!

The core network is fine, the network as a whole is fine, some cards and local areas aren't fine.

martyh
21-07-2009, 20:09
i am thinking of upgrading to xxl from xl and have been quoted £73 +connection fee £50
i have been told that i will need a new modem ,i currently have a new ambit which runs my 20mb fine ..do i need a new modem ?
i already have a netgear wndr3300 which is tons better than the one vm supply so i don't need that
i have read on another post that the cost for 50mb is going to be reduced to £28 from 1st sept ..is this true? and if so will it be available to existing customers ?

Ben B
21-07-2009, 20:11
The price decrease is true. You will need a new modem for 50mb and the router comes free on 50mb and it is a Wireless N Router, better than the Wireless G Routers which they supply for lower tiers.

martyh
21-07-2009, 20:17
The price decrease is true. You will need a new modem for 50mb and the router comes free on 50mb and it is a Wireless N Router, better than the Wireless G Routers which they supply for lower tiers.

thanks ben the wireless router i have is 'n' so i'm ok there and won't need the one they supply but thought the modem i had was ok for 50mb as i already get 20mb

Ben B
21-07-2009, 20:19
thanks ben the wireless router i have is 'n' so i'm ok there and won't need the one they supply but thought the modem i had was ok for 50mb as i already get 20mb

No I think the one you have is OK for up to 40mbps so you get a new one for 50mb. The router is handy as a spare anyway.

martyh
21-07-2009, 20:27
No I think the one you have is OK for up to 40mbps so you get a new one for 50mb. The router is handy as a spare anyway.

yeah my son just mentioned that about the router
so think i will be upgrading to 50mb as it will work out cheaper to have 50mb than my current 20mb @ £37

moiraf100
21-07-2009, 20:41
Am I understanding this correctly?
50mb will be £28?
I'm paying £25 for 10mb (with discounts this is less of course)
So, for an extra £3 I can get 50mb?

martyh
21-07-2009, 20:48
Am I understanding this correctly?
50mb will be £28?
I'm paying £25 for 10mb (with discounts this is less of course)
So, for an extra £3 I can get 50mb?

that appears to be the case
currently i pay £37 BB so on 1st sept i will upgrade to 50mb for £28 saving £9 for 30mb more bandwidth and no throttling

WillPS
21-07-2009, 21:04
£28 + £11 landline
£38 without a landline.