PDA

View Full Version : VM broadband over a BT line

sZCZ3p
19-07-2009, 01:46
In two months time me & my GF will be moving into a new rented apartment. Although there are some phone sockets there the Letting company have no information if anyone who previously lived there was ever using a landline. Because we would like to get the ADSL type service from VM I'd like someone to explain to me what I need to do and what fees I should expect to pay. We're both foreign so we have really no idea what to expect.

Here's what I managed to find out:
To get a VM broadband I need a working BT line. How much is it to set up and how long before I can switch to VM? Would I still need to pay the line monthly fee after I switch?

Can someone kind enough shed some light on this matter for me please :)

saabmania2
19-07-2009, 06:43
have you tried getting a cable service, you might get a better deal with vm if your house can be serviced, then you would be able to have VM phone, VM broadband and free tv for less than the cost of BT line rental and VM broadband

sZCZ3p
19-07-2009, 07:02
If by cable you mean fiber optic broadband from VM then according to VM postcode checker we can't get that service :(

saabmania2
19-07-2009, 07:58
Yes thats what i did mean, oh well it was a thought :(

BenMcr
19-07-2009, 10:39
You would first need to contact BT to arranged the phoneline - but if there hasn't been on there before this could cost over £125 to do.

Once you have a phone number you can then arrange for broadband activation - which I think takes around a week (not sure though)

m419
19-07-2009, 15:55
TalkTalk can install new lines for £59 www.talktalk.com/newlines

Kymmy
19-07-2009, 15:59
As already stated you need to contact BT first, get the phone line either installed or if there's already one there get it turned on. Once you;ve done that you then have the optio of choosing ADSL from any of the companies that supply it. Personally I'd look at getting ADSL from another company as Virgin do have a poor reputation for thier ADSL service including quite severe traffic managment. Will you be getting for example Sky TV? If so then thier service would work out a lot cheaper..

Stuart
19-07-2009, 16:03
TalkTalk can install new lines for £59 www.talktalk.com/newlines

Although with a TalkTalk line, you may find you are limited to using Talk Talk for broadband. Only BT are obliged to offer access to other ISPs on their lines.

sZCZ3p
19-07-2009, 16:45
We're just looking to have a decent internet connection. No tv. Maybe phone because bundles seem to be cheaper then broadband alone.

EDIT: If I get a new BT line then switch to VM what happens with the line rental charge from BT? Do I still have to pay it or do I pay similar fee with VM?

BenMcr
19-07-2009, 19:55
At the moment you would have to pay BT - however Virgin are very close to launching their own line rental so you would pay everything to them

sZCZ3p
19-07-2009, 21:26
I'll think I'll go with: BT line rental 11.25/month and o2 8Mbit/unlimited download broadband for 7.34/month (discount for o2 customers). All i need is broadband and as for tv - Freeview will have to be good enough for me. What do you think?

graeme2b
23-07-2009, 19:47
Also How long have you been in the country? Not meaning to be rude but unfortunately due to the virgin national credit check then unless it is 3 years UK residence then you wont pass and will be unable to get the broadband...

Its really a bad thing they need to change this ASAP....

Good luck

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Sorry didn't see the latest post... seems a good choice...

I say go for it...

sZCZ3p
23-07-2009, 20:01
My GF is in the UK over 2 years now doing a Phd. I'll be joining her in around a month. I hope we can find some affordable broadband somewhere.

Sir John Luke
23-07-2009, 20:10
Free install of BT line if required:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34839406-post4.html

graeme2b
23-07-2009, 20:21
Should be ok With O2.. Its just Virgin with Dodgy 3 year rule... Lots of People who just come to the country want broadband... pain in the Butt....

sZCZ3p
23-07-2009, 20:38
Free install of BT line if required:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34839406-post4.html

OMG - this is simply great news :) Thank you so much for this link.