PDA

View Full Version : Failed installation despite previous cable connection.

Bman
18-07-2009, 21:22
Moved into new house 2 weeks ago and have been waiting for virgin to install 50mb bb, tv and phone. Didn't think this would be any problem since the people who lived here previously had everything installed, telewest white box in the hallway etc. Guy turns up this morning and says he can't install anything because our line is connected to next doors grey box, they will have to come out in another 2 weeks time and install a whole new cable. The reason I think it was installed this way is because our house was originally built as a huge extention to the next house and these were split into 2 seperate 3bed houses, essentially creating a new house. Are they going to have to run a whole new cable to the cabinet since this house was never here when the original cables were laid? Or do they just make a new connection to the pavement? And why was this not needed for the previous owners but now neccessary for us?

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Another thing worth mentioning, I can't see where the green cabinet is located in my street but there is a CATV cover in the pavement a few meters from my front door, is it just going to be a case of running a new cable from this when they send 2 guys over or are they going to run into more problems due to this being a recently added house to the street?

I hope not as a month without tv, Internet and phone is already bad enough :p: don't even have access to freeview!

nodrogd
18-07-2009, 21:25
Strictly speaking, shared connections are a bad idea. The installer has done this as the signal levels to your neigbour may be adversely affected by your new installation. If the tee in the pavement is between the two houses, it is just a matter of pulling another cable through the same tee and then across the garden. Otherwise a new tee will have to be dug into the street service duct.

JayJay
20-07-2009, 22:08
They are supplying you your own connection, not a split connection. He made a good choice.

This means you will get the best connection.

It will be worth the wait. It will more than likely ran to the same box on the wall of the house and then cabled off from there to your connections inside the house.

Bman
30-07-2009, 15:33
So, about 30 minutes before 1pm (i have an afternoon installation) 2 guys from virgin pulled up and quickly messed around with a few of the cable covers in the street before shaking their heads, making a few calls and driving off again, sounds like they didn't want to run a new cable in from what i briefly heard. So i'm guessing when the guy turns up to install it this afternoon he's going to run it from next doors box and use all the existing cables that are already here?

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Another update:

2 Installation guys turned up this time, said they cant do it, the guys that came earlier should have dug a new T to the house as there's only 1ft between their path-cable and my garden, both of the installers are pi**ed off since i told them the cable pulling guys were here lunchtime and did nothing. Turning into a farce now.

Anyone who i can contact to get this sorted out properly? No one seems to want to sort this out and just keep passing the buck to someone else. As the guy who's still outstide now on his phone said, the whole company doesn't seem communicate with eachother.

WillPS
31-07-2009, 01:55
E-mail nick.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk - it's the CEO and that's his office. They were ever so helpful when Virgin started moving my install dates around without asking me.