PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband & Sky HD TV?

steve_starsky
17-07-2009, 17:33
Hi

I currently have a BT land line and I am getting Sky + HD due to the HD programs available.

However I would still prefer to have the VM broadband due to its speeeeeeed !

As I currently pay BT for the line as a seperate bill - could I switch the line rental to VM and have VM broadband then connect Sky to the landline??

Ultimaltely having a VM rented landline with VM broadband and Sky+HD tv ?

If so my prayers have been answered !!

Thanks all

steve

azcomposer
17-07-2009, 17:39
Hi

I currently have a BT land line and I am getting Sky + HD due to the HD programs available.

However I would still prefer to have the VM broadband due to its speeeeeeed !

As I currently pay BT for the line as a seperate bill - could I switch the line rental to VM and have VM broadband then connect Sky to the landline??

Ultimaltely having a VM rented landline with VM broadband and Sky+HD tv ?

If so my prayers have been answered !!

Thanks all

steve

As far as I know, yes you can.

You have probably visited this link:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208

Ben B
17-07-2009, 17:39
:welcome:
Yes you can do this. Alternatively you could subscribe to a broadband only package with Virgin.

lowei
17-07-2009, 17:52
The sky box doesn't need to have a phone line plugged in...mine hasn't been plugged in for years...

GazCBG
17-07-2009, 17:56
The sky box doesn't need to have a phone line plugged in...mine hasn't been plugged in for years...
I thought it did for the first year at least

azcomposer
17-07-2009, 18:03

Yep. Although I don't know what went on during that year. In the end, it stayed plugged into my socket, and it is still plugged in until my contract runs out in August as I am now on VM.

Btw, the HD channels on Sky were OK, and although I had them, I didn't watch them that many times. BBC HD was the main one and then Sky 1 HD.

I hear VM is adding some new HD channels...

lowei
17-07-2009, 19:33

The whole idea of having the phone line connected is to prove the boxes location and that your "mate" down the road, or in Spain, or wherever, isn't watching Sky.But they never check really...unplugged mine after a few days off install in 2007,And never had a problem...

m8internet
17-07-2009, 19:52
SKY refused to install at my property as there is no BT phone line

lowei
17-07-2009, 20:17
SKY refused to install at my property as there is no BT phone line

you can pay £25 and you dont need a phone line.

Noggo
17-07-2009, 21:14
As far as I'm aware new customers have to have the Sky box plugged into a fixed landline for 12 months. It doesn't matter who supplies the landline as long as you've got one. Then after the 12 months is up it's upto you whether or not you keep it connected for single box only. Multiroom still needs to be connected so they can check to see if both boxes are at the same address.

lowei
18-07-2009, 09:53
As far as I'm aware new customers have to have the Sky box plugged into a fixed landline for 12 months. It doesn't matter who supplies the landline as long as you've got one. Then after the 12 months is up it's upto you whether or not you keep it connected for single box only. Multiroom still needs to be connected so they can check to see if both boxes are at the same address.

Best ever Noggo.......

You can have sky set up without a BT line at a additional cost of £25.00

bigsinky
18-07-2009, 12:28
I wanted Sky HD and had to change over from VM to BT. i currently only have VM broadband.

Tezcatlipoca
18-07-2009, 16:20
I wanted Sky HD and had to change over from VM to BT. i currently only have VM broadband.

"Had to"? Who told you that? :confused:

You can connect a Sky STB to a Virgin Media landline - it does not have to be a BT landline.

uniplan
18-07-2009, 20:22
I have just that combination. 50Mb VM BB and Sky HD.

I also decided to get Sky Talk landline at the time as they gave me 12 months free line rental. This saved me £132 for the year.

The year comes up in September and I am thinking of moving everything to VM if I can wrangle a good deal.

HD is great but its not a big deal I think unless you have a super duper new HD TV. I have an older model an find it hard to notice the difference.

VM may get more HD channels at some point and I just want to know I can get all the Sky channels.

As long as I can get TV, phone and BB cheaper with VM than any other service provider combo, I will go for it! (for the next 12 months at least...........);)

Gadgie
19-07-2009, 22:32
Yea! we used to have the lot with VM but changed over to Sky for our TV, then took their phone as well, as they offered a good discount.
Only wish their Sky Connect Internet was the same, but that turned out to be a right disaster!
So was well pleased to come back to VM for that, the only reason we changed over was because of the lack if H/D channels. We are well chuffed with our TV service now though. ;)