PDA

View Full Version : New car

Maggy
17-07-2009, 11:26
Hubby wants to use the scrappage scheme to get a NEW car(never had one of those).

However the pair of us are not interested in cars.It's just a means of getting from A-B with a minimum of fuss.All we want is something practical that isn't conspicuous or flashy.

He has said he wants to go and sort it out next week.In the mean time he wants me to look up info on differing cars and set up some sort of comparison type effort for him..:confused: :mad: :fit:

Having looked at a few sites I've come to the conclusion that each and every one of them is set up to blind,confuse and get one to accept the first offer a company will give you.The only thing they are clear about are the terms of the scrappage offer.That is until they apply their OWN offers as well.

Frankly the KIA franchised dealer 2 minutes around the corner is looking more and more attractive..their prices are low and I know where their front door is.

and before you all blind me with science,specs and techy jargon all I want is 5 door,a petrol 1.4 engine,that I can park easily.

So can anyone come up with suggestions that doesn't cost the earth and won't leave me in hock for too long and is RELIABLE?

Thanks.:)

Aragorn
17-07-2009, 11:37
Maggy, check out the HonestJohn (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/) website and Parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk/) - Parkers have a 'help me choose' wizard and lots of advice and reviews on the HJ site.
Maybe a Skoda Fabia would be worth looking at or a Nissan Note, but everyone will have their own views.

Graham M
17-07-2009, 11:38
Kia make very reasonable cheap cars these days, if you're looking for something to get you from A-B I don't think you can go too far wrong to be honest, yes Jeremy Clarkson et al will probably disagree but for practicality they're decent, and if it does happen to go wrong, you've not got far to go to complain :)

Halcyon
17-07-2009, 11:39
What car do you currently have ?

For a small-ish easy to drive car I would go for a Ford Fiesta or maybe a Peugeout 206.

altis
17-07-2009, 11:41
Start by looking at the fuel consumption and emission figures used to calculate its tax band. You can find these from here:

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/downloads/

Look at the data for the year(s) you might be interested in. Download the spreadsheet and then sort by running costs. This gives a good idea of where to start.

You may be confused by the different tables for EuroII, EuroIII, EuroIV etc. These are the different emissions rules and they get tougher every few years. We're now up to EuroV. Apart from being greener, there may well be an advantage in your pocket for getting as high a classification as you can afford.

Too much info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

Details of current Road Fund Licence here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

danielf
17-07-2009, 11:42
It may be worth looking for a pre registered car. Essentially, this is a brand new car, but registered to the garage as its first owner (so you're the second owner). This could save you up to 30% off the list price.

Raistlin
17-07-2009, 11:44
You'll probably find that the dealer can offer you a better deal all in than you'll get with the scrappage scheme.

The scrappage scheme is for a fixed discount, and they won't apply other offers on top of that (generally speaking), whereas you can normally negotiate a better discount directly.

Maggy
17-07-2009, 11:54

For a small-ish easy to drive car I would go for a Ford Fiesta or maybe a Peugeout 206.

Nissan Micra N reg...It's been a good little car but it's getting too old.Plus the the nearest dealers are now so far away(used to be one in the village) it's a pain to get anything replaced.:(

LondonRoad
17-07-2009, 13:00
Get a tandem Maggy. Good for your health, good for the environment and there could be other benefits too::D

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/20/33652803-tattooed-swedish-devil-girls-sexually-molest.html

tweetypie/8
17-07-2009, 13:20
Hubby wants to use the scrappage scheme to get a NEW car(never had one of those).

However the pair of us are not interested in cars.It's just a means of getting from A-B with a minimum of fuss.All we want is something practical that isn't conspicuous or flashy.

He has said he wants to go and sort it out next week.In the mean time he wants me to look up info on differing cars and set up some sort of comparison type effort for him..:confused: :mad: :fit:

Having looked at a few sites I've come to the conclusion that each and every one of them is set up to blind,confuse and get one to accept the first offer a company will give you.The only thing they are clear about are the terms of the scrappage offer.That is until they apply their OWN offers as well.

Frankly the KIA franchised dealer 2 minutes around the corner is looking more and more attractive..their prices are low and I know where their front door is.

and before you all blind me with science,specs and techy jargon all I want is 5 door,a petrol 1.4 engine,that I can park easily.

So can anyone come up with suggestions that doesn't cost the earth and won't leave me in hock for too long and is RELIABLE?

try what car on line,they give the stats for all cars,kia are a good wee car until you have to change you will be offered buttons for it.

cnewton2k
17-07-2009, 13:25
i just bought a SEAT Ibiza 3 door wicked little runner

SMG
17-07-2009, 13:28
We have a Clio 5 door 1.4 petrol manual g/box. The car is excellent, but the engine is a juice gobbler. App 29mpg around town.

For short journeys, you cannot beat a Diesel. The 1.5 Diesel engine in the Clio returns 52 mpg around town. Not dealer figures, practical figures.

We are looking at the Toyota Yaris, 1.4 diesel as well. With the price of fuel only getting more expensive, Diesels are cheaper to tax, & run.

Never look at manufacturer figures for MPG, take a look at the review websites.

NoKnowledge
17-07-2009, 14:24
Alot of people talk about http://www.hyundai.co.uk/ when it comes to cheap cars maybe you could compare them to Kia and let me know as well.

ZrByte
17-07-2009, 14:38
The Kia Ceed is meant to be a phenomenal cheap car. Though for me personally if I could afford it I would be willing to pay the extra and take an Astra, Golf or a Focus, even if it has less toys onboard.

Uncle Peter
17-07-2009, 15:16
The Polo Bluemotion 1.4 diesels are great little cars giving 70-80MPG. A bit pricey compared to some of the competition though at 11-13K

gazzae
17-07-2009, 15:23
The Kia Ceed is meant to be a phenomenal cheap car. Though for me personally if I could afford it I would be willing to pay the extra and take an Astra, Golf or a Focus, even if it has less toys onboard.

I would agree with that on the Kia. I'm just back from 2 weeks driving a Kia Ceed around Portugal. Ours was the SW (Estate version) and I was surprised to see how cheap they are.

Nidge
17-07-2009, 19:13

The Kia Ceed's now come with a 7 year warranty, they look a craking motor and I here the diesel version is well worth the money.

Welshchris
17-07-2009, 19:21
I would go for a Kia Rio or a Voltswagon Polo they r both very good cheap cars and ive driven them both and very nice to drive.

Charlie_Bubble
17-07-2009, 19:48
Maggy, check out the HonestJohn (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/) website and Parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk/) - Parkers have a 'help me choose' wizard and lots of advice and reviews on the HJ site.
Maybe a Skoda Fabia would be worth looking at or a Nissan Note, but everyone will have their own views.

We have Nissan Note's on our rental fleet and I have never seen so many customer complaints about a single model of car. :)

Hom3r
17-07-2009, 19:48
The most important thing, what is you budget?

I bought a 55 plate (18 months old at the time) Mondeo 2.0 TDCi GHIA X for £12,000 for a Ford dealer great runner uber mileage.

Charlie_Bubble
17-07-2009, 19:56

Peugeot haven't made the 2006 for about 3 years now, so doubt she'd get one on the scrappage scheme. The 207 took over and is a much better car, much roomier inside and feels a hell of a lot more solid.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

We have a Clio 5 door 1.4 petrol manual g/box. The car is excellent, but the engine is a juice gobbler. App 29mpg around town.

For short journeys, you cannot beat a Diesel. The 1.5 Diesel engine in the Clio returns 52 mpg around town. Not dealer figures, practical figures.

We are looking at the Toyota Yaris, 1.4 diesel as well. With the price of fuel only getting more expensive, Diesels are cheaper to tax, & run.

Never look at manufacturer figures for MPG, take a look at the review websites.

I'd agree that a diesel has to be first choice these days if you are not after performance and want to cheap road tax and a good mpg. I'd have to say that I don't agree with the 'short journey' comment. Diesels as good for long motorway journey's as they are for short trips. At the moment I have a diesel and it's getting about 54mpg. The emissions on new diesels blow petrol engines away, most being around 110 and so get cheap road tax.

Peter_
17-07-2009, 20:10
Top Fuel Efficient Cars in Europe

http://www.bovinebazaar.bizland.com/deisel.htm

altis
17-07-2009, 20:48
Top Fuel Efficient Cars in Europe

http://www.bovinebazaar.bizland.com/deisel.htm

Outdated US site that can't even spell diesel!

See post #5

As of May 2009, the best Euro5 car for combined MPG is the Fiat 500 1.3 16V MultiJet diesel at 67.3 MPG whilst in Euro4 the Smart ForTwo Diesel gets 85.6 MPG.

altis
17-07-2009, 21:36
To make life easier, I've sorted the vehicles by economy and then selected the top 100 in each category to keep the file size below the attachment limit. I've also added some boxes for the price of fuel to make changes easier. See attached:

SMG
17-07-2009, 23:21
I'd agree that a diesel has to be first choice these days if you are not after performance and want to cheap road tax and a good mpg. I'd have to say that I don't agree with the 'short journey' comment. Diesels as good for long motorway journey's as they are for short trips. At the moment I have a diesel and it's getting about 54mpg. The emissions on new diesels blow petrol engines away, most being around 110 and so get cheap road tax.

Diesels are much better than petrol for short journeys, they are also excellent for long journeys too, I didn't imply petrol was better than diesel for any journey m8.

Aragorn
17-07-2009, 23:33
I was under the impression that diesels were only economical if you do ~12k miles/year - which isn't short journeys. My Passat TDI only does around the same mpg on the school run as the wife's petrol MPV, but wipes the floor once you go over about 10 miles or on the mway.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

An interesting WhatCar article (http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/is-diesel-dead-/what-a-difference-a-year-makes/233064) from last year highlighting the long breakeven point for Diesel.

superbiatch
17-07-2009, 23:37
I've got a 1.25 zetec climate 07 Fiesta and its really economical and cheap on tax/insurance ;)

I don't tend to do too well on motorway mileage but I definitely get more miles on short journeys than my friends 2ltr diesel (golf)

Peter_
17-07-2009, 23:40
I've got a 1.25 zetec climate 07 Fiesta and its really economical and cheap on tax/insurance ;)

I don't tend to do too well on motorway mileage but I definitely get more miles on short journeys than my friends 2ltr diesel (golf)
Did you palm the megane off on a poor salesman then.:p:

superbiatch
17-07-2009, 23:44
Did you palm the megane off on a poor salesman then.:p:

She went about a year ago after yet another hefty bill (driveshaft!). This one costs me nothing, and the peace of mind is priceless.

How did you know about it anyway?

Sorry for going off topic - bad SB!

Peter_
17-07-2009, 23:46
She went about a year ago after yet another hefty bill (driveshaft!). This one costs me nothing, and the peace of mind is priceless.

How did you know about it anyway?

Sorry for going off topic - bad SB!
You posted about in another thread a few weeks back and said you had problems with it and to avoid them after your hefty bills.

Thought you still had it but got rid.

SMG
18-07-2009, 00:47
The diesel guys will elaborate on this, but, unlike the petrol engine, the diesel does not need to warm up to be fuel efficient, the petrol engine uses a choke, which makes a rich mixture, thus using more fuel, when cold. The diesel delivers power right from the off, without richening the mixture. On short journey stop start cold days, some petrol engines use a rich mixture best part of the day.

My wife does stop start short journeys, we get 29mpg, driving gently, about town, with a 1.4. We got about 32 with our last Clio, 1.2. The Modus diesel, 1.5 manual, gave us 47mpg, doing the same journeys. (It was a loan car whilst ours was in for repair). We also had a Bravo, 1.4 diesel which returned about the same as the Modus, except the power was crap until the turbo kicked in.

We tested a Yaris, 1.4 diesel with auto box last year. Great car but again lack of power till the turbo kicked in. My ideal small car would be the Clio, 1.5 turbo diesel, with an auto g/box. Nice power curve throughout the rev range, & a tried & proved engine. Unfortunately, Renault don't yet sell the Clio with an auto box, & the Modus was a bit like driving a van.

I would suggest, Maggy, you draw up a shortlist of requirements & road test your choices. If fuel economy is not an issue, the new Clio 1.2 petrol turbo is quite good, much better than ours.

superbiatch
18-07-2009, 01:07
I would suggest, Maggy, you draw up a shortlist of requirements & road test your choices. If fuel economy is not an issue, the new Clio 1.2 petrol turbo is quite good, much better than ours.

May I also suggest that if you consider the new Clio that you look on www.renaultforums.co.uk to see if there are any issues as there usually are with new models :)

EBD3000
19-07-2009, 08:18
Have you considered a pre registered car, you could get a better deal on it rather than the scrappage deal.

Or a decent second hand car thats 1 year old.