PDA

View Full Version : Is this real?

CelluarMan
17-07-2009, 03:47
I just find out the virgin is going to come out with a welfare phone. It is going to have 120 minutes for 10 bucks. It sounds good, but supposedly there only going to offer it to low-income people, so must of their users wouldnt able to get. And im just surprised by it cause virgin was always this cool music phone and it doesnt seem like that anymore. Now when you pull this phone out it wouldnt say cool but that your on welfare.

Peter_
17-07-2009, 08:53
I just find out the virgin is going to come out with a welfare phone. It is going to have 120 minutes for 10 bucks. It sounds good, but supposedly there only going to offer it to low-income people, so must of their users wouldnt able to get. And im just surprised by it cause virgin was always this cool music phone and it doesnt seem like that anymore. Now when you pull this phone out it wouldnt say cool but that your on welfare.
Is this an USA idea of Virgins because this is primarily a UK forum and may not have a high US readership.

joglynne
17-07-2009, 09:27
Just did a google and it does appear that Virgin Mobile USA have Monthly Plans which reduce charges for low income users and this issue has been in the press for several months. I have had no luck tracking down a link to the 'Welfare Phone' mentioned by the OP though.

Jobless and on welfare? Then Virgin (Virgin Mobile USA) will pay your mobile bill.

http://www.gomonews.com/jobless-and-on-welfare-then-virgin-will-pay-your-mobile-bill/

v0id
17-07-2009, 12:09
we do have something similar over here on all networks, they're called Pay As You Go phones

danielf
17-07-2009, 12:13
we do have something similar over here on all networks, they're called Pay As You Go phones

Really? I thought they were aimed at people who don't use the phone enough to warrant taking out a contract... :dozey:

joglynne
17-07-2009, 13:03

Well I never considered the cost of calls on UK PAYG as being subsidised by UK operators which is what is being offered by Virgin Mobile USA.

Barton71
18-07-2009, 18:09
So its kinda like taking out insurance against unemployment and illness, when you take out a mortgage, or loan from the bank, or buy things on your credit card, or when you buy a new car. Seems like a good idea to me.

Does normal mobile phone insurance, in the UK, cover this also?

rogerdraig
18-07-2009, 19:59
so this is about not being cool to offer something to those less fortunate in case it makes you look less cool

hmm

and we wonder why some parts of the word think we are decadent