PDA

View Full Version : Broadband, TV and Phone line installation

crouchy
16-07-2009, 22:31
Hi,

I have just moved into a house which has cable installed however it is in a really awkward place. It has a telephone socket and a splitter on the other cable which has tv and fm written on it. I think its quite old, maybe before ntl.

I want to have Virgin services however their installation won't install it out of sight.

I want to route the cable to a different part of the room and hide the wires in the walls.

My question is what cables will I need and will the tv and broadband run from the splitter and the telephone from the telephone point? Can I just extend the cables where I need to and relocate the boxes?

Any help is appreciated.

I can supply pictures if it helps.

m8internet
17-07-2009, 18:57
It depends on how cooperative the installation engineer is
If the house is prewired then they can test if the existign wiring is suitable
If not, then they can arrange to replace it at a second visit, but it's chargeable

The safer option is to find an independent and get them to do a survey and test of the existing wiring, and to reposition and reinstall
I had this done and paid £150

The TeleWest engineer then revisited and completed the installation a week later, no extra charge

nodrogd
18-07-2009, 17:53
The existing TV/FM splitter will probably be removed by the engineer (FM is not used anymore) and replaced with a new isolator. The cable can be split for broadband/TV at any point in its run, the splitter being about the size of a matchbox.

deej71
02-12-2009, 17:16
does the cable and internet come through the same cable?as i have a dodgy box for cable tv if i cancelled my cable tv would i still get get the cable tv through my internet connection?

Scrubbs
02-12-2009, 17:35
does the cable and internet come through the same cable?as i have a dodgy box for cable tv if i cancelled my cable tv would i still get get the cable tv through my internet connection?

yes it does just let virgin know you are using an alternative box when you cancel .....I am sure they will be more than pleased to reconnect to your dodgy box:rolleyes:

deej71
02-12-2009, 17:42
so i only need the 1 connection 4 both?so if i cancal my virgin tv i will still get it?