PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stump : How to get rid of it ?

Mike
16-07-2009, 16:14
Hi all

I am just about to cut down a dead tree and will be left with a stump approx 12” across. It is really near to a drain and do not want to have to try and dig it out (bad back) !

Has anyone used these stump killer liquids’ which you paint on a leave? I have heard they are bio-friendly apart for the tree! And just wonder what they are like and how long it will take.

Any info or advice gratefully received.

Thanks for your time

Regards

Mike

danielf
16-07-2009, 16:20
Drill holes in the stump and fill them with brush wood killer (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brushwood+killer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

Gary L
16-07-2009, 16:29
Dynamite.
not too much though. you'll make more mess :)

idi banashapan
16-07-2009, 16:40
I've heard that copper nails to the trick. not tried it though.

Mike
16-07-2009, 16:46
Drill holes in the stump and fill them with brush wood killer (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brushwood+killer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

Sounds good to me..........any ideas on how long it takes for it all the disappear ?

Mike

Wayfair
16-07-2009, 16:50
Some good advice here.. These dudes seems to know a little bit about all things green n flowery.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1102/tree_stumps.asp

danielf
16-07-2009, 17:05
Sounds good to me..........any ideas on how long it takes for it all the disappear ?

Mike

Probably a number of years. The main thing is to kill off the stump, so you don't get new growth, above or underground. The stump will then (presumably) rot away over the years.

Edit: From Wayfair's link:

Where stumps cannot be removed, apply weedkillers with the active ingredient glyphosate (Roundup Tree Stump & Rootkiller or Deep Root Ultra Tree Stump & Weedkiller) or triclopyr (SBK Brushwood Killer), as directed by the manufacturer's instructions on the label. Ideally, apply immediately after felling. Expect roots to be killed within six weeks, although the stump may take several years to completely rot away.

lucy7
16-07-2009, 17:11
I grew Honeysuckle and ivy around my stumps.

danielf
16-07-2009, 17:15
I grew Honeysuckle and ivy around my stumps.

Wicket!

Media Boy UK
16-07-2009, 17:23
Hi all

I am just about to cut down a dead tree and will be left with a stump approx 12” across. It is really near to a drain and do not want to have to try and dig it out (bad back) !

Has anyone used these stump killer liquids’ which you paint on a leave? I have heard they are bio-friendly apart for the tree! And just wonder what they are like and how long it will take.

Thanks for your time

Regards

Mike

Pull it out with an Car (Using that thing you pull an carvan with).

NOTE: This will only work if your tree is in the front Garden.

Cobbydaler
16-07-2009, 17:28

Or you've got very wide front & back doors...

Or your front door is in line of sight of your back door & the tree stump... :erm:

danielf
16-07-2009, 17:31

Not advisable if the tree is close to a drain I think.

Nidge
16-07-2009, 18:01
Hi all

Thanks for your time

Regards

Mike

Copper nails then creosote will do the trick.

Taf
16-07-2009, 18:01
Ammonium Sulphamate (no longer allowed as a weedkiller 'cos some Irish people didn't want to feed some to a dog, then kill it, then submit a report to the EU).

Available on eBay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_sulfamate

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/garden.asp?id=1997

rogerdraig
16-07-2009, 18:03
not much will make it disappear fast bar acid

there are various things out there and they will help it rot a little faster but in real terms it will take years

what you can do though is find some one with one of these

http://www.erento.co.uk/hire/tools-equipment/Gardening-landscape-equipment/stump-grinder/

you should be able to find a gardening person with one if you really want it gone

else the best thing to do is paint it with one of the various stump rotting things and then use it as a plant stand for a few years while it rots ;)

Nidge
16-07-2009, 18:08
I've heard that copper nails to the trick. not tried it though.

They do work, I had 3 trees growing at the bottom of my garden which weren't mine, I asked the woman who trees they were if I could fell them? She said yes. The neighbour next door wouldn't let me fell them, they were killing the light plus they were getting out of hand, when the neighbour went on holiday I popped over and hammered 100 copper nails into all the trees, within a few months they were rotted and needed felling, enter me with a chainsaw a ladder with a big grin on my face. :D:D:D:D:D

Woolly One
16-07-2009, 18:46
They do work, I had 3 trees growing at the bottom of my garden which weren't mine, I asked the woman who trees they were if I could fell them? She said yes. The neighbour next door wouldn't let me fell them, they were killing the light plus they were getting out of hand, when the neighbour went on holiday I popped over and hammered 100 copper nails into all the trees, within a few months they were rotted and needed felling, enter me with a chainsaw a ladder with a big grin on my face. :D:D:D:D:D

Did you chainsaw the stumps up aswell?:)

Nidge
17-07-2009, 03:58
Did you chainsaw the stumps up aswell?:)

I did I got as far down as I could then drilled them, then I poured creosote down them and covered them in soil.

DES_1001
17-07-2009, 07:12
so the copper nails do work then!

Woolly One
17-07-2009, 13:05
hammered 100 copper nails into all the trees, within a few months they were rotted and needed felling, enter me with a chainsaw a ladder with a big grin on my face. :D:D:D:D:D

Had another thought on this one. Seeing that the trees now had copper in them, I surpised they wern't nicked before you had a chance to get to them.:)

snodvan
17-07-2009, 14:57
Acid is the correct approach but really you need nitric acid - which you cannot buy over the counter.

Be VERY, VERY careful - but this will work

Drill the stump with wide holes ie flat blade drill, as deep as you can get them

Fill the holes with sodium nitrate - you CAN buy that as fertilizer in a proper horticultural supply shop. I bought some locally last year. You will not get it at the likes of B&Q.

Pour battery acid into the holes. These days it is difficult to buy battery acid but I obtained some by acquiring a couple of old car batteries, charging them as best I could (increases the acid concentration) then drilling a hole in the battery casing and draining the acid. At full strength that is 36% sulphuric acid so you MUST take care. Plug the drilled casing and dispose of it properly.

Important - Plug the treated holes in the stump with putty and cover the whole stump with strong plastic tied/ taped so it will not come off. Some bricks on the top will help a lot. This will keep inquisitive people/ kids/ animals away from the nasty bits.

The sulphuric acid will react with the sodium nitrate and form nitric acid - THAT will really degrade even a big tree stump in about a year ie enough to hack the remains apart with a pick axe.

GREAT CARE in all of this ie proper gloves and especially eye protection and keep other people/ pets away while you are doing it.

Snod

altis
17-07-2009, 16:02
Invite a few mates round with the promise of some beers - but don't let on that it'll probably take them all day. We did this with a sycamore in our garden. The worst bit was the tap root that goes straight down. Great sense of achievement when it finally came out though.

Nidge
17-07-2009, 18:16
so the copper nails do work then!

They sure do, it doesn't happen over night it takes a few weeks for the copper to posion the tree but when it kicks in it makes the job a whole lot better.

snodvan
17-07-2009, 19:50
I did I got as far down as I could then drilled them, then I poured creosote down them and covered them in soil.

That should preserve them nicely - so that they will not rot away!

Snod

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

I wonder if .......

Instead of using only a lot of copper nails you also used an equal number of zinc (galvanised) nails?

In theory the cooper and zinc separated over short distances by "sappy wood" should create some sort of electrical cell . . . . and maybe that will accelerate breakdown of the wood in the stump. I suspect that copper nails "work" by some electrolytic mechanism rather than by simply poisoning the stump wood.

Just a thought in case someone has TWO tree stumps and as an experiment would like to use copper nails in one and copper + zinc in the other

'Twould be interesting

Snod

progers
18-07-2009, 12:45

Mike

Make sure that the holes you drill are as near to the bark as possible - that's the bit that is still growing!

Mine started to rot after a year when I could chip bits off it and after two years enough to remove completely by chipping away at it. Obviously depends how big your tree is!

I actually bought a propriatory stump rotter but can't remember its name - your local garden centre should be able to help.

The only downside we had, as our tree was very shallow rooted, was loads of fungi growing along the root lines!