PDA

View Full Version : Free Netbook from Virgin?

nick_f
15-07-2009, 10:43
Just seen this anyone in the know have any details?

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/virgin-media-offering-up-branded-netbook-616403

Kymmy
15-07-2009, 11:00
Yep, it's mentioned in thier latest press release

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33652738-50mb-price-drops-sub-30-sept.html

nick_f
15-07-2009, 11:01
thanks Kymmy but i was after what selected packages were open to this offer?

zing_deleted
15-07-2009, 11:13
That thread is not on about the press release its on about 50 megs price drop

There is not much on the netbook in the release but it does give this thread cred

Kymmy
15-07-2009, 11:19
Well it links to the press release which as you yourself has stated doesn't say much about the netbook ;) We all know though that it'll probably be a way of getting people onto the VIP XXL package..... :rolleyes:

altis
15-07-2009, 11:27
Both new and existing customers will be able to get the laptop at no additional charge when they take selected great value bundled packages.

<snip>

-- The Virgin Media Freedom Netbook will be available through all retail channels, and features:
.- 10.2" TFT LCD Backlight, Microsoft Windows XP (inc. SP3), Microsoft Works suite
.- PGguard security for antivirus, Virgin Media wallpaper and screensaver
.- Intel(r) Atom(tm) Processor N270, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache
.- 1GB RAM (DDR2 533 MHz), 120GB SATA Hard Drive
.- Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n, 2-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC), 0.3 megapixel webcam
.- Li-Ion, 3Cell (2S2P), 3300 mAh (2 hours 30 mins standard use)
.- Weight 1.1 kg, Dimensions - 265x182x26mm
.- Colour -- Virgin Red or Black
-- The Virgin Media Freedom Netbook with additional features, is worth around GBP 300, and is available at no extra cost with certain 24 month bundles featuring both fixed line and mobile broadband products. See www.virginmedia.com for more details.

Blimey, they'll be offering motherhood and apple pie next.

zing_deleted
15-07-2009, 11:33
Well it links to the press release which as you yourself has stated doesn't say much about the netbook ;) We all know though that it'll probably be a way of getting people onto the VIP XXL package..... :rolleyes:

Yeah you aint gonna get away with the £5 mobile broadband offer lol

Anywhere that ive seen making these offers have a min spend of £30 such as mobile phones and mobile broadband over a ridiculously extended contract.

If I wanted a netbook id just buy one anyway lol

Stephen
15-07-2009, 11:37

Anywhere that ive seen making these offers have a min spend of £30 such as mobile phones and mobile broadband over a ridiculously extended contract.

Good for you Zing, however for some people they will see this as an easier and cheaper way to get a netbook or new computer.

zing_deleted
15-07-2009, 11:41
Good for you Zing, however for some people they will see this as an easier and cheaper way to get a netbook or new computer.

yes by saving up the money that VM would be having on a product I do not want.

If a customer wants mobile broadband and whatever else is required of them then all the power to them. I simple mean I am not going to pay for a service that I will not use just to get a netbook

Peter_
15-07-2009, 11:45
yes by saving up the money that VM would be having on a product I do not want.

If a customer wants mobile broadband and whatever else is required of them then all the power to them. I simple mean I am not going to pay for a service that I will not use just to get a netbook
It is wireless N capable and can be used with a normal account but on a premium package.

zing_deleted
15-07-2009, 11:50
It is wireless N capable and can be used with a normal account but on a premium package.

can you put that a little clearer please

The netbook I assume is wireless N and can be "used" what do you mean by used?

I am taking it forgratten that you do not think I do not knwo what a netbook is lol

What mobile broadband package do you have to have how much is it and what other services do you need to get the deal

Mick
15-07-2009, 12:09
Lose the attitude zing - If you don't want a netbook, fine, I am sure I and the rest of us can get over it.

But this may help others out there and is a good deal.

Russ
15-07-2009, 12:10
We've just this minute been told that VM will have information on the netbook packages up on their website tomorrow.

zing_deleted
15-07-2009, 12:12
Lose the attitude zing - If you don't want a netbook, fine, I am sure I and the rest of us can get over it.

But this may help others out there and is a good deal.

I was trying to clarify the pricing I seriously did not understand what he meant. <removed>

Peter_
15-07-2009, 13:08
can you put that a little clearer please

The netbook I assume is wireless N and can be "used" what do you mean by used?

I am taking it forgratten that you do not think I do not knwo what a netbook is lol

What mobile broadband package do you have to have how much is it and what other services do you need to get the deal
You do not have to take mobile broadband if not required just a standard XL broadband package for 24 months.

joglynne
15-07-2009, 13:15
You do not have to take mobile broadband if not required just a standard XL broadband package for 24 months.

Thanks for clarifying that point Mol. I'm on L BB but I may do a few sums and see if going up to BB XL for a couple of years is cheaper than buying a Netbook outright. I take it I would need to stay on BB XL for the full 24 months?

Peter_
15-07-2009, 13:18
Thanks for clarifying that point Mol. I'm on L BB but I may do a few sums and see if going up to BB XL for a couple of years is cheaper than buying a Netbook outright. I take it I would need to stay on BB XL for the full 24 months?
Its a 24 month contract for the laptop deal and you must complete the contract term.

Milambar
15-07-2009, 13:26
Only the XL package, shame. Can't afford the XL, hell I can barely afford what Im on, and I do need a new portable computer, my thinkpad is on its last legs.

Oh well. For those who can afford the XL package, it does seem a reasonable deal (not a great deal tho).

cnewton2k
15-07-2009, 13:28
I will be signing up tomorrow :)

BenMcr
15-07-2009, 13:31
Though there is a one of fee of £50<?> if you don't take the dongle

cnewton2k
15-07-2009, 13:42
Though there is a one of fee of £50<?> if you don't take the dongle

So it aint a free netbook then!!

And dont be telling me that is to cover postage!!!

BenMcr
15-07-2009, 14:04
The offer is a free netbook when you take Triple XL or above + mobile broadband!

Don't take mobile broadband then you don't get netbook free

zing_deleted
15-07-2009, 14:31
The offer is a free netbook when you take Triple XL or above + mobile broadband!

is the £5 mobile broadband adequate?

BenMcr
15-07-2009, 14:39
If not, then I assume you can always opt for the £15 3Gbyte one

TheDon
15-07-2009, 16:40

What about if you're already on VIP, would adding mobile broadband get you the free netbook?

Kymmy
15-07-2009, 16:44
What about if you're already on VIP, would adding mobile broadband get you the free netbook?

The press release does say

Both new and existing customers will be able to get the laptop at no additional charge when they take selected great value bundled packages

So it'll probably be a case of existing customers will have to take a new 24 month contract with them

BenMcr
15-07-2009, 17:04
As far as I know thats correct - and you would NOT be able downgrade during the 24 months, you have to stay on the bundle you are on

So you have to be REALLY sure you would afford the VIP + dongle for another two years

Stuart
15-07-2009, 17:21
I have to admit, these deals (and I am talking about all these free netbook/notebook/console deals) *are* good value if you have a use (and are happy to pay) for 24 months of broadband.

They aren't such a good deal if you are just looking for the device. After all, you can get a decent netbook for around £200-£250. Consoles and low end laptops are around the same. 24 months of broadband comes to around £840.

I am not knocking the deal. I'm sort of looking for a netbook, and if I could justify the move back to Virgin (I am happy with Be, and they are a *lot* cheaper), I would consider this.

dilli-theclaw
15-07-2009, 18:51
I wodner if any of these selected great value bundled packages will be available for adsl people.

BenMcr
15-07-2009, 19:18
It's a cable only offer at present :(

dilli-theclaw
15-07-2009, 19:24
Ah well... If they change can you let me know please :) :tu:

Mick
15-07-2009, 19:49
Virgin Media have issued us a quick view of the Netbook... Here you are:

Download Failed (1)

Peter_
15-07-2009, 19:50

Download Failed (1)
Also available in Red but be quick as the stocks are limited for that colour.

BenMcr
15-07-2009, 19:54
I'm suprised they didn't spec one with an internal 3g card

Peter_
16-07-2009, 07:35

It does not say that you have to get the wireless anywhere package, so all new premium customers can have the netbook without the extra expense of getting a mobile dongle and also where is the £50 fee mentioned to sign up.

Pushkar
16-07-2009, 08:26
What OS is the netbook running, I thought it was pre-installed with Windows, but the picture shows a OS X type of system - custom linux version?

Also, does this mean they will start supporting Linux?

Stephen
16-07-2009, 08:30
It does not say that you have to get the wireless anywhere package, so all new premium customers can have the netbook without the extra expense of getting a mobile dongle and also where is the £50 fee mentioned to sign up.
I have seen a couple of photos and the dongle is plugged in to the netbook, so you will get the dongle as part of the package.

What OS is the netbook running, I thought it was pre-installed with Windows, but the picture shows a OS X type of system - custom linux version?

Also, does this mean they will start supporting Linux? The spec sheet says its Windows XP, I think that photo is just using a mocked up screen, as it looks like the screen grab was taken from OS X.

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 09:28

Also, does this mean they will start supporting Linux?

whats on the screen could just be a photoshop

cnewton2k
16-07-2009, 09:41
Just tried to order but they didnt have the details for exsisting customers!!

Mr_Grinch
16-07-2009, 10:14
I'm an existing customer who's JUST started on a 12month 50mb contract (Previously 20mb).

Anyway know if there's a way for me to wrangle one of these by offering to extend my contract to 24 months?

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 10:23
It should be possible

Saying that the list of bundles on the netbook page (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/netbook.html) don't match what we got told - as they said it was ONLY the Triple XL + dongle that qualified for it

Nor do they match the T&Cs at the bottom which say:

You must continue to subscribe to at least the following combination and level of services for your minimum contract term: Cable: XL TV; XL Broadband; XL Phone, Virgin Phone line; and 3GB Mobile Broadband. National: XL Broadband; XL Phone; Virgin Phone line; 3GB Mobile Broadband

cnewton2k
16-07-2009, 10:43
Well i am on XXL Broadband, M TV and M Phone, they are saying that i have to go XL on TV and Phone to get it!

Shame the website says something different!!

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 11:12
It should be possible

Saying that the list of bundles on the netbook page (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/netbook.html) don't match what we got told - as they said it was ONLY the Triple XL + dongle that qualified for it

Nor do they match the T&Cs at the bottom which say:

You must continue to subscribe to at least the following combination and level of services for your minimum contract term: Cable: XL TV; XL Broadband; XL Phone, Virgin Phone line; and 3GB Mobile Broadband. National: XL Broadband; XL Phone; Virgin Phone line; 3GB Mobile Broadband

Ok I may back down on what I said now lol

I am starting a new package Sunday XXL BB M TV and M phone if I was to add the dongle 1gig is a fiver a month isnt it? would I be eligable for the netbook? I dont mind paying a fiver a month for one even though I dont want it :D

As you say though it does appear that there is a cock up between the fancy web page offerings and the terms and conditions I would be surprised to be able to get the netbook on a low end package

nick_f
16-07-2009, 11:17
so to clarify you can only have the netbook if you take up a mobile broadband dongle contract?

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 11:20
so to clarify you can only have the netbook if you take up a mobile broadband dongle contract?

as it stands at this point in time what you need to subscribe to to get the netbook is as clear as mud :)

cnewton2k
16-07-2009, 11:20

I am starting a new package Sunday XXL BB M TV and M phone if I was to add the dongle 1gig is a fiver a month isnt it? would I be eligable for the netbook? I dont mind paying a fiver a month for one even though I dont want it :D

As you say though it does appear that there is a cock up between the fancy web page offerings and the terms and conditions I would be surprised to be able to get the netbook on a low end package

You might as well just pay bthe £50 charge it works out cheaper!

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 11:23
You might as well just pay bthe £50 charge it works out cheaper!

true but it gives me another toy anyway lol looks like im going back on 2 things ive said recently lol by getting 50 meg and now considering this netbook but it does appear you may need xl tv and phone which I wont be doing

Stephen
16-07-2009, 11:36

I think to get the netbook deal the 1GB is £15 a month.

Even I am a little puzzled on the pricing and packages!

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 11:41
its weird.

I was just told I can have the netbook by just adding the 1 gig mobile broadband but he couldnt do it today because my account is in a mess because of how they are pricing my package.

If I was a new customer I could order online 50meg m tv m phone for £47.25 including by the looks of it phone line
Giving up my loyalty discount and totally changing everything for some reason the XXL BB has a base cost of £52 which he is having to credit me £17 to get it to £35 and somehow my costs are £4 than if I was to sign online as a new customer @ £50.70

He said if I call after its all sorted ie middle of next week I can add the 1 gig mbb start a new 2 year contract and get the netbook

Stephen how can they increase the price of a product? thats then a charge of £10 per month for 2 years which is £240?

Lynchy
16-07-2009, 11:41
just had a reply from Virgins twitter service about how much it would cost extra on V.I.P to get the notebook

"If you go to quad play VIP (with 3GB per month mobile BB) and re-contract you get the freedom laptop. £15 extra per month". AB

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 11:46
just had a reply from Virgins twitter service about how much it would cost extra on V.I.P to get the notebook

"If you go to quad play VIP (with 3GB per month mobile BB) and re-contract you get the freedom laptop. £15 extra per month". AB

I would advise care to everybody at this moment as the website and the deals are not coherent. There is no information available from what I can see that gives us any idea of what we can or can't do.

The website itself has contradictory information and sales staff appear to have been told something else again.

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 11:53
Right

You get the Free netbook when you get the Triple XL or above + £15 3Gb Mobile Stick

or

For lower packages you need at least

BB L + Phone or above if you don't have TV

BB L, TV L or above with/without a Phone if you do have TV

then you can add the netbook + 1Gbyte mobile stick for an extra £15 a month

All require a new 24 month contract

Mustard
16-07-2009, 11:54
I was just told that I need to be on xl tv and xl phone to qualify for the offer at an extra £22 per month - no mention of the mobile bb dongle...

I'm currently on m phone m tv and xxl bb

warrenb
16-07-2009, 11:54

What happens if you already have Triple XL+ and mobile broadband ?

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 12:00
Right

You get the Free netbook when you get the Triple XL or above + 3Gb Mobile Stick for £73 a month

or

If you have either

you can add the netbook + 1Gbyte mobile stick for an extra £15 a month

thanks for clearing that up :)

So where did they get that price from then? £15 per month for 1 gig mobile broadband is 3 x the price of what you can get 1 gig mobile broadband with l xl or xxl bb on a 12 month contract and pay 25 quid

1GB

12 months£25

send 700 emails
download 65 music tracks
download 30 two minute videos
surf the web for 30 hours
Just £5 a month, when you take L, XL or XXL fibre optic broadband
3GB

18 monthsFree USB modem

send 2000 emails
download 200 music tracks
download 100 two minute videos
surf the web for 100 hours
Just £15 a month

I do not mean this as an attack on VM staff here or I do not mean to appear to be posting with attitude but does this not scream scam? the netbook is costing and extra £240 per the 2 year contract

Actually I see what you have been told there Ben . It only says free laptop for the trip xl it says you can have the net book if.. meaning its not sold as free

Peter_
16-07-2009, 12:04
I wodner if any of these selected great value bundled packages will be available for adsl people.
It is also available for National customers as well Thomas.

Here is the Official Link to the Netbook http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/netbook.html

Lynchy
16-07-2009, 12:09
my heads officially gone, :confused:

Peter_
16-07-2009, 12:14
my heads officially gone, :confused:
I think you are in the wrong thread some how.:D

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 12:22
Actually I see what you have been told there Ben . It only says free laptop for the trip xl it says you can have the net book if.. meaning its not sold as freeNo-one said it was free across all packages

And it's just as 'free' as other 'free' netbooks

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 12:31
No-one said it was free across all packages

And it's just as 'free' as other 'free' netbooks

As I said I was not having a go at any VM staff at all and I did also say I noticed that point about it not being marketed as free :)

At least now we know the only way it is free is if you are triple XL and any other way there is a charge for the net book :)

It needs to be made clear so people can make advised choices :)

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Again to just clarify and again not an attack

On the netbook page it says

Broadband L phone M TV M with 1 gig MBB = £29 plus £11 phone so £40
but on the build your own package page its says
Broadband L phone M TV M = £19.50 pluss £11 phone = £30.50 so that shows a charge of £9.50 for MBB?

Again I mean no disrespect am I reading the figures wrong and if I am can you explain how :)

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 12:39
You can't order the netbook online - so it is not included in the bundle builder

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 12:43
You can't order the netbook online - so it is not included in the bundle builder

so the prices are different? the bundle builder prices are different to the prices you get if you call?

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 12:46
Yes they are different - because the bundle builder prices do not give any netbook options!

danielf
16-07-2009, 12:52
Hang on: that netbook page says: free netbook when you take L BB, Mobile BB from £20 a month if you take a phone-line, and then the legal stuff says:

You must continue to subscribe to at least the following combination and level of services for your minimum contract term: Cable: XL TV; XL Broadband; XL Phone

What's up :confused:

Monkeylord
16-07-2009, 13:16
I phoned up about an hour ago to enquire about reducing my services and add 50MB and I mentioned the Netbook offer to the woman at the other end (I forget her name). She told me that the Netbook offer was only available to NEW customers for the foreseeable future and will be made available to existing customers based on how well it is received.

WTH!?!!

sammyjayuk
16-07-2009, 13:42
true but it gives me another toy anyway lol looks like im going back on 2 things ive said recently lol by getting 50 meg and now considering this netbook but it does appear you may need xl tv and phone which I wont be doing

Well, the world would be an awful place if we weren't allowed to sometimes change our minds!

Netbooks tend to do that to people - they certainly do it to me! I quite like the idea of having an ultra small, yet fully functional and connected laptop. Even though I loathe even standard PC laptop size trackpads - 10 minutes with an Eee PC, although nice, made me want to take a knife to the trackpad and chuck the whole thing out the 9th floor window (Apple's trackpads are very good, though - so I merely dislike them) - the size alone is enough to make me interested in this. Ideally, however, they'd also offer a convertible tablet like the GIGABYTE M912X (http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=171309), perhaps for a small extra cost - I see that there's a Menagerierumpus Snapcrackleandpopbook Pirouette (or, only slightly more sanely, the Zoostorm Fizzbook Spin (http://zoostorm.com/Home_&_Small_Office/Netbooks/Tablet_PC/Fizzbook_Spin_8_9_by_Zoostorm.html/)) from Zoostorm, although it's targeted at younger users (based on the Intel Classmate, I believe).

Indeed, if the trackpad thing was the only barrier, I'd probably pounce on this because I can't really see myself wanting to switch away from VM for broadband (I'm also in the market for a cheap mobile broadband plan, since O2 want £15 to tether my iPhone with 1GB of data, and a netbook would go beautifully with that), but it isn't. I switched to Sky for TV, (after saying I'd never do so!) and it's still unclear as to whether their forthcoming STB VOD service is going to require a Sky Broadband connection. I hope it doesn't - BT charge ridiculous amounts for a new install *and* tie you into a 12 month line rental contract, then there's speed issues, etc - but if it does then I don't want to be tied into an extra long contract with VM. It's not like I have any regular use for 50 meg - it's nice, and was something I had to have, but anything reliable and over 5 meg would probably do me fine (although I'd ideally want at least 8 because 5/6 mbit/s is probably the minimum for pre encoded HD).

Still, it's a good deal (I'm just picky!), and it's nice to see. If you can stomach a 2 year contract, it's ideal!

Sam

Stephen
16-07-2009, 14:02
As I said I was not having a go at any VM staff at all and I did also say I noticed that point about it not being marketed as free :)

At least now we know the only way it is free is if you are triple XL and any other way there is a charge for the net book :)

It needs to be made clear so people can make advised choices :)

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Again to just clarify and again not an attack

On the netbook page it says

Broadband L phone M TV M with 1 gig MBB = £29 plus £11 phone so £40
but on the build your own package page its says
Broadband L phone M TV M = £19.50 pluss £11 phone = £30.50 so that shows a charge of £9.50 for MBB?

Again I mean no disrespect am I reading the figures wrong and if I am can you explain how :)
Realistically you are getting the laptop for its retail value but spread over the term of the contract. The same as all netbook/broadband deals.

Pushkar
16-07-2009, 15:01
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/17690300.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1247753845&Signature=QPBS8Zvz7%2Fp1qweJMZzQOe3nVn8%3D

Its nice.

DJ Dave
16-07-2009, 15:12
one in the post for me in red, had to take out no new items and he did not say anything about the 24 month contract.

But I do have XL Phone, L BB, M TV and 1gb Mobile BB.

thanks vm!

zing_deleted
16-07-2009, 15:22
one in the post for me in red, had to take out no new items and he did not say anything about the 24 month contract.

thanks vm!

How much do you pay for that ?

DJ Dave
16-07-2009, 15:26
nothing, they said as i have all the services already i could just have one.

Monkeylord
16-07-2009, 15:28
nothing, they said as i have all the services already i could just have one.

Wonder why they told me it was for new customers only?

warrenb
16-07-2009, 15:37
I find it had to believe that the system would let you have it now for free without putting you on a new 24 month contract. I have XL everything v+ and 1gb Dongle, so if this is true, I shall be giving them a call when I get home.

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 15:42
For lower packages you need at least

then you can add the netbook + 1Gbyte mobile stick for an extra £15 a month

OK further clarification - sorry.

The important bit is that you have BB L or above AND at least one other service

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

thanks vm!

I find it had to believe that the system would let you have it now for free without putting you on a new 24 month contract. I have XL everything v+ and 1gb Dongle, so if this is true, I shall be giving them a call when I get home.
You WILL be tied into a 24 month contract - it is complusory, and you will have to pay £10 more per month on 1Gb Mobile Dongle

DJ Dave
16-07-2009, 15:47
never told me that, if i do I will be on the phone, 24 month contract is fine but the £5 from £15 I will not be ok with.

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 15:49
That is what the offer is

In simple terms its:

A bundle with BB L or above + £15 for the 1Gb dongle

or

A bundle with BB L or above + £25 for the 3Gb dongle

you can't get the netbook otherwise

DJ Dave
16-07-2009, 15:53
sorry did not know you worked for them, :-S

MannyUK
16-07-2009, 16:15
I currently get XL BB, M TV, M Phone and just spoke to sales who said the only way i can get the offer is to upgrade my Tv and phone to XL and pay £50 upfront fee.

Is that right? I was under the impression i could just pay £15 a month extra for the 1Gb dongle and get the net book

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 16:19
As far as I read it you are right

MannyUK
16-07-2009, 16:21
You are right, the Sales agent is wrong

Thanks for the help, i shall give them another ring. Wish me luck :D

DJ Dave
16-07-2009, 17:02
has anyone else who bas the same as me tried to ring them? as I only got the Dongle about 3weeks ago.

He said on the phone, You don't need another dongel as you have already got one. I did have a heck of a time getting through to someone who knew about it though.

cred1980
16-07-2009, 22:16
Hi there new noticed this deal today
i am currently on m-bb, xl-tv, xl phone and also have v-plus just looking for an idea on what deals i could get from virgin including this free netbook before i give them a call. I am looking at canceling and going to sky for hd and also would be better for the footy.

cheers

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 22:20
First of all you would need to upgrade to BB L to qualify. What bundle deal you then get is seperate to the mobile/netbook part.

You would get then get the netbook when you added on the 1Gb mobile dongle for an extra £15 a month and agree to a new 24 month contract

Milambar
16-07-2009, 23:00
Ok, this new information makes it more interesting. Could you clarify, if at all possible, does the netbook "remain the property of virgin media" like the "free" routers etc, or does it belong to the customer?

BenMcr
16-07-2009, 23:03
It belongs to the customer

zing_deleted
17-07-2009, 08:45
Ok, this new information makes it more interesting. Could you clarify, if at all possible, does the netbook "remain the property of virgin media" like the "free" routers etc, or does it belong to the customer?

You are paying for the Netbook it is not free

Matt-08
17-07-2009, 11:10
Just had a reply from the CEO office, for VIP customers with 1GB Mobile broadband a £50 one off fee is required, with no other monthly charges/changes.

SpaceDog
17-07-2009, 13:39
Just rang them up as an existing customer on XXL BB, M TV and M Phone, was told i would need to upgrade to XL TV and XL Phone plus pay extra £15 a month for the dongle plus pay a one off £50 fee and take out a fresh 24 month contract. No way is that worth it, would end up paying virgin way more than what ANY netbooks would cost over the course of 24 months. Impression i got from the website was that customers could get it for free on bundles costing alot less than that.

BenMcr
17-07-2009, 13:48
Try again next week - there seems to be some internal confusion over what existing customers need. Hopefully will be clarified by then!

altis
17-07-2009, 14:22
There are many alternatives - not least of which is simply buying your own netbook, of course.

The Lenovo S9 is only £199 at Tesco or they appear to offer a network deal with '3' to provide one 'free' in exchange for a 24 month contract at £24.47 per month.

http://www.tescocontractmobilephones.com/laptop-deal-builder/

MannyUK
17-07-2009, 14:27
Just got off the phone to CS/Sales who say i'm not on the pre approved list so i'm not eligible for the offer, he said he wasnt sure whether it was because the systems weren't working properly or because of credit rating, etc.

Assuming it's the credit rating or whatever how come virgin are happy for me to be on the VIP pack for well over a year at nearly £100 a month, but now i want to add mobile broadband for £15 a month (taking my service charge to £60 a month) my money is not good enough for them. :td:

Does this sound right or has the CS rep got it wrong?

Thanks

sammyjayuk
17-07-2009, 15:53
I must admit to being somewhat confused as to how this netbook can be advertised as "free" when, as far as I can tell from VM's website, 1GB mobile broadband packages with the netbook cost £10 more per month than those without it. Of course, every other mobile company does it - but you're paying £240 for the netbook over the life of the contract, which isn't immediately clear. It does seem that VM's 3GB + netbook package is at no extra cost, though.

I suppose it's a bit like mobile phone contracts (in fact, it's probably exactly like mobile phone contracts...) with a "free" phone - and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how they continue to get away with that either! For example, comparing O2's standard 600/500 plan at £35pcm for 18 months with their simplicity 600/600 plan at £20pcm for just a 1 month minimum term shows that over 18 months you pay £270 extra for taking a phone - so, as with the laptop deals, I can hardly see how the term "free" applies there!

As I said, it's not just VM doing it - it's just always confused me how a phone/laptop can be advertised as "free" when it's obvious to any clod with a calculator that "free" doesn't usually come into it...

Sam

BenMcr
17-07-2009, 16:06
The term free applies in regards to the monthly price - in that there are no additional costs on top of the advertised price for the laptop/phone

It is academic as to whether to you can get the same services cheaper without the netbook/phone - as the two prices are not referenced in the advertising

sammyjayuk
17-07-2009, 16:46
The term free applies in regards to the monthly price - in that there are no additional costs on top of the advertised price for the laptop/phone

It is academic as to whether to you can get the same services cheaper without the netbook/phone - as the two prices are not referenced in the advertising

Hmm. You see, I don't think it is academic (mathematic, maybe!), because taking a 1GB package with the laptop costs, in a very real way, £240 more over 24 months than the same service taken over the same period without said laptop.

Indeed, by my own (perhaps, occasionally, a little too logical) common sense, it is academic as to whether the two prices are referenced together. The fact still remains that the two services exist, and the only real differences between them - excluding the laptop - are the contract length and monthly price.

I suppose the entire discussion about this is somewhat academic - it seems as if a committee of people much cleverer than I am, and therefore much more qualified to define something as logically common "sensical" have decided that this sort of arrangement is fair*, certainly not in any way misleading and above all legal. Who am I to argue?

Sam

* Not that I actually think that being able to spread the cost of a laptop/phone over 24/18/12 months is unfair - it's a good way of getting a new device and not paying much, if anything, upfront. I do struggle to think of it as being anything other than a form of credit, though, which is why I think it's slightly misleading...

cred1980
17-07-2009, 17:06
called them this morning about this deal but they clearly didnt have a clue. Spoke to retentions as i am thinking of canceling who put me through to sales who said i would need to go onto triple xl to get the netbook. I am currently on xl tv and phone but med bb and this would cost me 73.00 a month
I currently pay about 35.00 - on the website it states you can get 1g mobile bb l-bb and m tv and phone for 29.00 plus 11 for phone line so 41.00 a month. I then asked how much to add xl phone to this and was told it would be 58.00 plus i would need to pay 50.00 up front.
Think the offer is a bit of a con you can get a netbook from mobile providers for the same price
i spoke to retentions again and they said they would look into it and call me back that was at 0900 this morning and still not heard anything.
arse and elbow comes to mind:mad:

BenMcr
17-07-2009, 17:33
Hmm. You see, I don't think it is academic (mathematic, maybe!), because taking a 1GB package with the laptop costs, in a very real way, £240 more over 24 months than the same service taken over the same period without said laptop.
But that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Virgin only describe it as 'free' on adverts with the higher price. If you do pay that higher price then it is free - because there is then no extra cost.

If they did advertise the normal bundle with the netbook option - they would have to advertise it as + £10

djmagnifique
17-07-2009, 19:04
i'm on the VIP package, I have no need for mobile broadband, is there any way to get the netbok without signing up to mobile broadband? I don't mind paying a reasonable price.

cred1980
17-07-2009, 19:26
think u would just need to pay 50.00

But dont quote me on that;)

dilli-theclaw
17-07-2009, 19:27
think u would just need to pay 50.00

But dont quote me on that;)My dad (who is on the vip pack) did just that. He also had the choice of paying for delivery to get it in three working days or not paying delivery and just getting it within the month.

deathtrap3000
17-07-2009, 19:50
Phoned them up and in 45mins had the red netbook on order for £50 with a £30 credit being applied to my next bill. Should get it in 10 days.

Good times :)

Peter_
17-07-2009, 20:33
My dad (who is on the vip pack) did just that. He also had the choice of paying for delivery to get it in three working days or not paying delivery and just getting it within the month.
You can get it on National as well.

dilli-theclaw
17-07-2009, 20:39
You can get it on National as well.I don't suppose you have any details on that?

fireman328
17-07-2009, 20:44
Aint it good when a plan comes together and everyone knows what happening lol

BenMcr
17-07-2009, 21:27
You can get it on National as well.
Not yet - but it's 'Coming Soon' ;)

dilli-theclaw
17-07-2009, 21:34
Not yet - but it's 'Coming Soon' ;)Welll here's hoping it comes before august 4th when my contract is up for renewal ;)

Peter_
17-07-2009, 22:13
Not yet - but it's 'Coming Soon' ;)
Says its available cross platform and is the first product to do so according to our websites not the external ones.

BenMcr
17-07-2009, 22:23
But they haven't released the National deal yet!

Peter_
17-07-2009, 22:26
But they haven't released the National deal yet!
So a bit of a boob then when it is supposed to be a first for everyone.:D

No timescale for it then.

watzizname
18-07-2009, 04:14

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/27.png

Ugh.. The Virgin Media badge is enough to put me off wanting one..

But that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Virgin only describe it as 'free' on adverts with the higher price. If you do pay that higher price then it is free - because there is then no extra cost.

If they did advertise the normal bundle with the netbook option - they would have to advertise it as + £10
Quite right..

By the by, anyone want a FREE car? just pay me 8x £1.000 installments for the fluffy dice, and it's yours :D

cred1980
18-07-2009, 12:12
called them again about this offer about the 4th time every time getting different info . This time i am not on the pre approved list does anyone know what this means.
igive up:mad:

mightymagpie99
18-07-2009, 13:38
On VIP package & called today about this offer. Options were : 1. Pay extra £15/month for free netbook for 24 months or 2. Pay one off £50 up front & remain on VIP poackage with no change in prices for 24 months. As I am happy with my current deal & would be paying for VIP ( XL TV , XL BB & XL Phone) in effect I am getting a netbook for £50 so took Option 2. Netbook being delivered on 21st July. Good deal IMHO.

Bob
19-07-2009, 10:25
I'm not normally confused by these sorts of things but reading this thread has made my head hurt...

I have the VIP package...can I pay £50 and get the netbook or would I also be required to sign up for the mobile broadband dongle as well?

Apologies if this has already been answered but I TRULY am lost lol!

TheDon
19-07-2009, 10:54
I'm not normally confused by these sorts of things but reading this thread has made my head hurt...

I have the VIP package...can I pay £50 and get the netbook or would I also be required to sign up for the mobile broadband dongle as well?

Apologies if this has already been answered but I TRULY am lost lol!

£50 and be tied into a 24month contract with zero option of downgrading during that time.

Bob
19-07-2009, 11:03
Cheers TheDon :tu:

pleo2005
19-07-2009, 18:28
Just rang VM. I am currently on XL TV, XL BB, XL Phone and already pay £5 per month for mobile BB. Got offered the Netbook for a one off fee of £50 and £30 delivery. Told them I would not pay the £30 delivery so they knocked it down to £14.99. I then said It would be better if it was free delivery and they said ok, red netbook coming on Wednesday.

Has anyone upgraded their BB from 20meg to 50meg. What did you have to pay extra ?
Installation charges or activation costs ? How much extra a month ?

Gary L
19-07-2009, 18:32
called them again about this offer about the 4th time every time getting different info . This time i am not on the pre approved list does anyone know what this means.
igive up:mad:

There's someone having a rant about this in the virginmedia usenet groups. the pre-approved list means you're not a credit risk.

It really is quite mad. It basically went like this:

£29 package sir? no afraid not you have a poor credit history.

£58 package sir? why yes of course, when would you like it?

He could have it if he upgraded his package, which means more money, more of a risk than the original risk.

pleo2005
19-07-2009, 19:35
Just a thought, what happens if the netbook stops working during the 24 month contract. Will VM replace it

BenMcr
19-07-2009, 19:56
You have a 1 year warranty with the netbook

countbathory
20-07-2009, 00:26
Im on the vip package and when i rang up about this offer i was told that as i wasnt a new customer i couldnt get it. seems once again virgin staff dont have the first idea of what offers virgin are actually offering.

cred1980
20-07-2009, 09:55
There's someone having a rant about this in the virginmedia usenet groups. the pre-approved list means you're not a credit risk.

He could have it if he upgraded his package, which means more money, more of a risk than the original risk.

CREDIT RISK I have been a customer for about 5 years and had about 1 problem with a bill when a dd was canceled :shocked:

Gary L
20-07-2009, 13:59
CREDIT RISK I have been a customer for about 5 years and had about 1 problem with a bill when a dd was canceled :shocked:

It's Virgin Mobile that is the problem. they are seperate to Virgin Media. it's them that are classing you as a credit risk.

rare uk
20-07-2009, 14:40
LOL even your name seems to reference credit (cred) ;)

TheDon
22-07-2009, 13:14
Seems that they've stopped the £50 offer for existing customers. Was nice of them to mention that it was an extremely limited time offer.

BenMcr
22-07-2009, 14:10
I did say it wasn't guaranteed

tucker61
25-07-2009, 04:49
How much more would it cost me?
Was looking for netbook for my wife last night
currently pay
mobile broadband £5.00+
Main services (Provided by Virgin Media Ltd or Virgin Media Payments Ltd) £41.75
Description Date/period Amount
Line Rental 07 July - 06 August £11.00
Talk Evening And Weekend 07 July - 06 August £3.45
Loyalty Bb/Phone/TV Discount 07 July - 06 August £-22.70
Calldispl 07 July - 06 August £2.00
Free Voicemail 07 July - 06 August £0.00
TV Size: X L 07 July - 06 August £23.00
At Races 07 July - 06 August £0.00
Broadband Size: L 07 July - 06 August £25.00
Other charges
£-1.00
Charges and credits (Provided by Virgin Media Ltd) £-1.00
Description Date/period Amount
E Bill Discount 07 July - 06 August £-1.00

BenMcr
25-07-2009, 09:12
You would need to speak to Sales and they would be able to tell you.

I'm not sure if you can keep the Loyalty deals with the netbook or whether you have to swap to a standard bundle instead

zing_deleted
25-07-2009, 09:55

You would need to speak to Sales and they would be able to tell you.

I'm not sure if you can keep the Loyalty deals with the netbook or whether you have to swap to a standard bundle instead

As this thread has progressed my opinion did change for a while untill all the terms were clarified somewhat but now I feel the only people who got a good deal are those who paid the £50 and signed a new contract on existing services. If you do have to swap off bundle deals it could prove very expensive indeed seeing as you can get linux based netbooks with ssd for around £150

tucker61
25-07-2009, 10:58
Just spoke to call centre, 150 option 4.
No netbooks left at moment, did not realise how big offer would be.
Told to ring back in a few weeks.
Would only cost me £50.00 due to package I currently have.

BenMcr
25-07-2009, 12:44
They were wrong.

1) There are still netbooks - just no red ones

2) The £50 option has been withdrawn

mightymagpie99
26-07-2009, 08:58
On VIP package & called today about this offer. Options were : 1. Pay extra £15/month for free netbook for 24 months or 2. Pay one off £50 up front & remain on VIP poackage with no change in prices for 24 months. As I am happy with my current deal & would be paying for VIP ( XL TV , XL BB & XL Phone) in effect I am getting a netbook for £50 so took Option 2. Netbook being delivered on 21st July. Good deal IMHO.

Update on what is now developing into a saga ! A package did arrive on 21st July but it was not he netbook ( looked like a Broadband self starter pack ). Since then I must have spoken to in excess of 20 VM staff who ranged in the main from polite & incomprehensible to polite but clueless ! Anyway on Saturday 25th July the netbook did arrive so I thought that was it.How wrong I was - the netbook itself does not work and no-one at VM are able to help outside the hours of 9.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday ! Basically what happens is that the netbbok patially charges up ( up to about 15%) and then starts giving messages about the battery being low and suggests switching to mains power. However as soon as the AC power lead is plugged in the netbbok powers off and will not turn back on. The only way is to remove the battery , re-insert it and then power up again. You then encounter the same message about the battery being low etc. despite being left to charge overnight. Looks like I'll need to call the so called supoort line on Monday. I will also be calling the high priority complaints helpline too as I have established some sort of dialogue with acopule of named individuals there and hopefully they will be able to help.Has anyone else had similar problems ? If so how have you fared so far ? Better than me I hope ! :mad:

DJ Dave
26-07-2009, 20:38
I'm told mine will be here tomorrow, what are the chances of it turning up red? I hope it does not come with a dongle as I told them I already had one.

They have charged my bill £15 p&p this month which I don't mind, but lets hope they don't start adding anything else on, Also got a letter yesterday saying it was going to be installed yesterday between 1pm and 6pm but nothing turned up.

So I will hope something does tomorrow.

herby247
27-07-2009, 09:27
Got told delivery of my red note book was to be on mon 27th july 9am-1pm.
With no tracking number i called UPS and they looked up my address n postcode, said there is no packages for that address today!
WTF just called VM sales, n they said they dont have a tracking num, someone will call me back today!

Matt-08
27-07-2009, 13:31
I got mine delivered on Friday at 8.45 pm, sent out via an emergency courier because I didn't receive it in the time slot they said, and I was going on holiday Saturday.

Just been told by VM today I got the very last red one. Sorry folks....

DJ Dave
27-07-2009, 18:05
Well nothing turned up today, called them up again to be passed around to 4 people, they said they have had a problem where people have been told it will be with you by a date and not turned up.

I was told most of them are still sitting in the wearhouse and they took my number and said someone would call be back tomorrow by 6pm.

I won't hold my breath for it.

herby247
27-07-2009, 19:17
Well nothing turned up today, called them up again to be passed around to 4 people, they said they have had a problem where people have been told it will be with you by a date and not turned up.

I was told most of them are still sitting in the wearhouse and they took my number and said someone would call be back tomorrow by 6pm.

I won't hold my breath for it.

I am on the EXACT same boat mate!

Seemingly the orders from sales dont marry up with the virgin media customer accounts in customer care.
So they are having to call back EVERY single customer and re arrange delivery dates.
I was speaking to a UK manager and said this is absurd, that you cant tell us where good we have PAID for are and when they will be delivered.
And that 3 advsors took my mobile num, and promised theyd call me, not had 1 call back yet, so forgive me if i am sceptical about 24 hours.
Anyway i took her name and extension number, and will call her, if i dont get any joy tues!

DJ Dave
27-07-2009, 22:12
yeah if i have not heard by when I get in from work tomorrow I will call them, also want my p&p back, I'm not paying for p&p when it is nearly 2 weeks and they tell me loads of dates on when it is being sent out.

deathtrap3000
28-07-2009, 18:46
Anyone get theirs today??

Mine was supposed to come today, but it hasnt turned up.

Matt-08
28-07-2009, 18:54
It seems to me that no-one is getting their netbook as promised, especially those that took the £50 option, as this means that you aren't showing on Virgin Mobile's systems and therefore it is Virgin Media responsbile.

Unfortunately they never seem to have a clue where your netbook is, so it's no wonder people aren't getting them as it's unlikely that they have even been sent out.

I know I was extremely lucky to get a red netbook on the day promised, albeit after numerous calls to 150 and the CEO team and despite it been delivered at 8.45pm, I'm glad I got it before my holiday the next day.

All I can say is good luck guys.

pagdodd
28-07-2009, 19:32
It seems to me that no-one is getting their netbook as promised, especially those that took the £50 option, as this means that you aren't showing on Virgin Mobile's systems and therefore it is Virgin Media responsbile.

Unfortunately they never seem to have a clue where your netbook is, so it's no wonder people aren't getting them as it's unlikely that they have even been sent out.

I know I was extremely lucky to get a red netbook on the day promised, albeit after numerous calls to 150 and the CEO team and despite it been delivered at 8.45pm, I'm glad I got it before my holiday the next day.

All I can say is good luck guys.

I hate to gloat but I got my Red notebook on Saturday (it wasn't due until Monday)

I have to say I'm quite pleased with it. Not a bad bit of kit for an extra £15 a month on top of my bundle :cool:

Haighy
29-07-2009, 16:12
Ordered last Monday for delivery last Friday. Nothing happened so rang Saturday. Very polite Scottish bloke said he would have to get back to me. Left a message saying the department at UPS he needed wasn't open weekends and someone would ring Monday. Man from Virgin Mobile rang Tuesday to say all responsibility for the netbooks had been transferred back to Virgin Media and they would get in touch yesterday. No call so rang today.
A nice Scottish lady put me on hold then came back to say I would hear something within the next 48 hours. Was about to negotiate a refund of the P&P of £14.99 when she said "Due to the inconvenience we have put you through I have credited your account with £25, half the cost of the Netbook". I'll settle for that :-)
I'll let you know if there is a follow up

anap
01-08-2009, 22:46
I phoned this morning to enquire about my options. They said I was on the pre-approved list and I could have the netbook for £50. They phoned back this evening to say the offer has been withdrawn but I could pay £15 per month for 2 years! No thanks I said!!

DJ Dave
03-08-2009, 16:45
Just been waiting in all day again to be told, I'm 1 of 200 people who are wating for a netbook which is not coming.

The orders have not gone through correct and not been sent out to order the netbooks to deliver.

There is no red netbooks anymore, so I can kiss goodbye to that one, loads of black in stock though :rolleyes:.

I'm number 50 in the que for a netbook, they are having a meeting tomorrow morning to see how they can sort out 200 unhappy people with out netbooks and then they will ring us back as soon as they know what they are doing.

I have also been told they will give us a time and date of when the book will arrive.

After being told since July 17th it was on its way I'm not very happy with VM at all.

cred1980
04-08-2009, 10:16
can you sell the notebook just seen one on fleebay

BenMcr
04-08-2009, 10:22
Well you can sell it as it is yours, but not sure why you would because if your VM account gets disconnected early for any reason you then you have to pay Virgin for it:

If you cancel or downgrade your services during the minimum contract period, you will incur an early disconnection fee which may also include a fee in respect of the netbook as follows: if you cancel during the first year of the 24 month minimum term contract period you will have to pay the full cost of the netbook (£260). If you cancel during the second year of the 24 month minimum term contract you will have to pay half the cost of the netbook (£130).

So in theory cancelling early out of the contract would cost you up to £380 (£260 for the netbook + £120 EDF fee). Why enter a contract like that just to sell the netbook on?

Haighy
04-08-2009, 10:45
Spent all day yesterday being passed from pillar to post, department to department and country to country. At one point a lady in India told me I am not eligible for the netbook because I'm not on the pre-approved list. Asked to speak to her supervisor and pointed out that not only did they take the money off my card on the day I ordered it, 20th July, they have also sent me a new 24 month contract that has the P&P charge for the netbook on it. I believe anyone would consider that to be a contract for supply of the netbook.
Got transferred to a very helpful young man, Scottish I believe, who said the best he could find out was that they would put me back on the list and I could ring sales and order another in 3 days. Fraid not.
So rang Virgin Media and got another Scottish bloke who promised he would ring back, and actually did. He has sent an email to the relevant department, and a copy to me, pointing out that I tick all the boxes to be on the pre-approved list. He is going to ring me back this afternoon.
Got a call this morning from Virgin Mobile, basically telling me not a lot, but she is going to keep an eye on my account and see if anyone from Virgin Media does anything to it.
If not she is going to ring me back this afternoon.
I go on holiday after this weekend, hope they sort it out and get me one by then.

Planetgarb
04-08-2009, 18:22
I should have had my red netbook yeasterday but nothing arrived. i called them and was told i would get a call back .... nothing.

So i called today and was told it will arrive on the 14th with and instalation engineer when they fit my 50 meg bb.

Anyone else had this experiance

deathtrap3000
04-08-2009, 20:25
I should have had my red netbook yeasterday but nothing arrived. i called them and was told i would get a call back .... nothing.

So i called today and was told it will arrive on the 14th with and instalation engineer when they fit my 50 meg bb.

Anyone else had this experiance
It should arrive on the day the installer should come. Should still be sent by delivery though.

I phoned them up as its been over a week since I was supposed to get mine and ive been told im on "the list" and someone would get back to me sometime this week.

djfunkdup
04-08-2009, 20:39

hi m8 do you have a link to that package ur talking about.....i have just upgraded to b/b xl.....i gave them a call asking about the notebook and they said i had to take mobile b/b in order to get the note book....

thanks..darren

Haighy
04-08-2009, 20:42
Spent all day talking to Virgin. Had a few setbacks but the customer agent who picked it up yesterday stuck totally with it today and finally found a complicated but amicable arrangement. All being well it should come within 48 hours. Will be feeding his name, and a couple of others, into Virgins feedback system. Some agents are very, very good at their jobs.
Good luck to the rest of the people who are fighting this. Hope you all get it sorted.

Planetgarb
05-08-2009, 08:12
Whats all this about a list.

I ordered my net book about 3 weeks ago and was told i could have one no problem. They took my £50 and said have a nice day.

Delivery date is not to important to me but if they say it will be a certain day thats what i expect not for it to keep slipping.

This list thing is a concern

deathtrap3000
05-08-2009, 11:21
Whats all this about a list.

This list thing is a concern

"The list" is a long list of people who havent received their netbook yet.

Haighy
09-08-2009, 02:49
I was told the list is a list of people who have good records with VM.
After they told me I couldn't have a netbook because I wasn't on it.
After they charged me 50 quid for a Netbook and didn't send me one.
A nice man called Luke, from Customer Services, got involved and sorted it out. They delivered on the day promised.
Opened the package and it was a router :-(
Told Luke and he escalated it to the CEO's office. They got a courier to drive 260 miles in his little white van and pick it up from the warehouse and deliver it at 9:30 on Friday evening.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned there are some good people working for Virgin, turns out there are some excellent ones.
Never had a problem with Virgin, or NTL, and my faith in them is still good.
Thanks Luke :-)
PS .... it was worth waiting for, it is a cute toy :-)

deathtrap3000
09-08-2009, 05:29
I was told the list is a list of people who have good records with VM.

There are 2 different lists,
one for people that are pre-approved to get the netbook because of a clean credit history with them and have themselves locked into a 2 year contract
and one for people who have not received their netbooks yet.

cred1980
09-08-2009, 13:12
virgin can shove there pre approved list been a customer for about 5 years and prob missed 1 payment ended up getting mobile bb from three with an acer laptop for 15 quid a month

roughbeast
09-08-2009, 18:07
I got mine after an error on VM's part. They thought I was eligible and charged me only £50 for one just as long as I promised to stay with them for 2 years. Then they discovered I wasn't eligible, but sent me one anyway. It arrived the next day. I enquired about it. They agreed I wasn't supposed to have it but were surprised I had received one as there was no record of me paying for one or being sent one. Certainly nothing had gone from my account.

They asked me to send it back, but I explained after all the inconvenience they should pick it up. I also said that if I had to listen to 'Here comes the sun' again I would go insane. At this point I think they gave up. I haven't heard for 2 weeks now and £50 has gone from my account. Daring to open the packaging I have made it my own.

Actually it is a pretty good piece of kit for the price.:D The wireless connection works well. I got 44mb through it today. It is also quite fast at the moment. It successfully streams movies from our main PC to our HD TV halfway across the house. Thanks VM.

deathtrap3000
14-08-2009, 13:24
Finally got my netbook yesterday thanks to Sam on the twitter team.

Does anyone know how to make the wifi automatically come on when you boot it up?

Matt-08
14-08-2009, 14:14

Does anyone know how to make the wifi automatically come on when you boot it up?

I don't believe you can. :dozey:

Ben B
14-08-2009, 14:20

Is it in the BIOS?

deathtrap3000
14-08-2009, 14:33
Is it in the BIOS?
Ive checked the bios. The only options are to change the time/date, boot order and system passwords.

roughbeast
14-08-2009, 18:12

I don't think so. I hit the key stroke for wifi during the boot sequence. It then connects automatically to your router at logon.

If anyone knows any better than that let me know.

Might be worth looking into system configuration utility to see if there is a service start up that can be added.

Albie
19-08-2009, 18:11
Look at this BS reply I got. :td:

With VM for 9 years.

Thanks for your quick response! I can see you've been with us for quite some time and we appreciate your loyalty
I've checked this out and unfortunately the netbook isn't available to you at the moment. As it's a 24 month contract then there's certain conditions that have been placed with this order and one of them is that you have to have a direct debit set up for a minimum of 12 months. I can see you have a really good payment history and this does stand out, however as it's such a long contract then the payment conditions were added the offer. I would recommend setting up a direct debit anyway as you can save yourself the hassle of paying through other methods and you would receive a £5 per month reduction on your bill.
I'm really sorry that we can't offer you the netbook at the moment. I've checked your account to see if we can offer anything else and the good news is that your on the cheapest package for your services.
Thanks for getting in touch with us!
Take Care!
Sam
Twitter Team

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 18:24
What is wrong with that reply? One of the requirements for the deal is that you have to pay via Direct Debit.

That applies to new customers as well

Albie
19-08-2009, 18:27
It's BS. I'm leaving when my contract is up.

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 18:32
Your choice, but I doubt you will find anyone willing to give you a subsidised netbook without paying by D/D

Sirius
19-08-2009, 18:32
It's BS. I'm leaving when my contract is up.

Ok

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2009, 18:34
Can I get one with my ADSL type contract yet?

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 18:42
Not yet, as soon as you can I'll let you know

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2009, 18:48
Cheers it's much appreciated.

I've been having a play with my dad's today and I must say it's quite nice.

danielf
19-08-2009, 18:53
Cheers it's much appreciated.

I've been having a play with my dad's today and I must say it's quite nice.

DILLI!!!!!! :redcard: :shocked: ;)

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2009, 18:54
LOL you lot :)

Albie
19-08-2009, 19:09
What difference does Direct Debit make? I'll tell you the difference - nothing. What do they think I'm gonna do? Get the netbook and do a runner to Spain or something? It's a joke. VM are a big joke. :td:

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 19:18
What difference does Direct Debit make? I'll tell you the difference - nothing.The difference between getting the netbook and not getting the netbook is what. Again its part for the criteria that all customers have to do it.

What do they think I'm gonna do? Get the netbook and do a runner to Spain or something?Actually that's probably part of it - that people are going to disappear after ordering without paying for the netbook or the services they have agreed to

nick_f
23-08-2009, 23:03
Hey all can you get the netbook without signing up to mobile bb?

My current package is L phone, L BB and XL tv

nick_f
24-08-2009, 21:20
anyone :) ?

BenMcr
24-08-2009, 21:28
Hey all can you get the netbook without signing up to mobile bb?No you can't

Matt-08
24-08-2009, 21:36
Hey all can you get the netbook without signing up to mobile bb?

My current package is L phone, L BB and XL tv

Not anymore, no!

nick_f
24-08-2009, 21:38
shucks did i miss out

Matt-08
24-08-2009, 22:35
shucks did i miss out

Yeah, by about 5 weeks.

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
02-09-2009, 23:49
i was just reading this on DS http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a175048/virgin-media-cuts-xxl-broadband-price.html and looked at the bottom and it said the following

"Meanwhile, the company has also launched a new branded netbook titled the Freedom, which features 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. Available in either black or red, the laptop will be offered without charge to any new or existing Virgin Media customers who take one of the company's bundled deals."

and i was wondering if anyone knew about this in a bit more detail as i`m on a bundle with them and was wondering if i could have one??

BenMcr
02-09-2009, 23:51
It is bad wording in the DS article. It is NOT FREE

The only time it is advertised as such is when the cost for the £15 mobile dongle - which you HAVE to take - has been included in the price

teulk
13-11-2009, 05:49
I had one hell of a time getting my netbook back in july,i was told i could have it all for free when i ordered it, it took 2weeks to arrive after phone call after phone call. Needless to say i didnt get it all for free as told i would - this i have been trying to get since thenl but i eventually got fed up and emailed Neil Berkett the CEO yesterday and every thing was sorted within 5mins on the phone. I now actually get my netbook and dongle for free (no monthy £15 charge for 3gb) as this was upheld by Neils team when they called me.

Thanks Neil

Rik
12-12-2009, 18:29
Excuse me for being lazy and not reading all the previous posts.......

But I have 50Mb Broadband, Virgin Mobile, Talk Unlimited Telephone Line and XL TV and I am contemplating mobile broadband.

Ideally I would like the cheapest mobile broadband package possible, as long as i sign up for a contract, am I entitled to a Netbook?

BenMcr
12-12-2009, 21:23
As long as you meet the criteria yes - but you would HAVE to take out mobile broadband for £15 a month on top of your existing services

djmagnifique
12-12-2009, 21:29
And you would be tied into a new 24 month contract. seeing as you can get a decent netbook for £200-£230 (http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=5&cat=299&limit=10&page=1) you might be able to get a better deal on mobile internet from another provider and save a bit of cash.

dilli-theclaw
12-12-2009, 21:30
Still not available on off net I suppose :(

BenMcr
12-12-2009, 21:36
Doesn't look like it, sorry

dilli-theclaw
12-12-2009, 21:37
Ah well - I'll keep waiting :) - Cheers anyway.

fireman328
12-12-2009, 21:58
I think you are in the wrong thread some how.:D

I lost the plot some time ago !:confused: