PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management - Torrents

love2learn
13-07-2009, 22:52
A while back I read that Virgin were planning on throteling Torrents, I'm sure they're doing it to me now. I was getting 2.3mb/sec constant for about 10 mins and the torents suddenly crashed... they took a long while to start back up and then would'nt go over 500kb/sec.

Now I know they were planning to manage torrents, but I have seen nothing official released regarding this. Also If they are, (or I should say are) throtelling torrents, then why would I have been reduced to 5mb download speed when I didn't even turn my computer on untill 22:30 tonight? If they start cheating on what they say they're going to manage they will loose customers fast. I for one am pretty P'd off with this, and unlimited ADSL2+ providers looking quite apealing to me now. By the way I'm on 20mb and I was running over 20 torrents, I specifically waited till after STM times so off peak hours

broadbandking
13-07-2009, 23:09
Torrents can go at any speed depending on seeds, the problem your having is your running 20 torrents and killing your connection , as of yet Virgin don't traffic shape weather they do in furture is something I dont know.

Radeon
14-07-2009, 02:04
Never had any problems with torrents when I was on my 20mb, now that I am on 50mb I still have no problems.

I'm currently sharing 36 torrents, while downloading a large 46gb file at 5 MB/s and uploading at 150 kB/s.

jaycee
14-07-2009, 02:29
I doubt they will bother. As soon as ISP's start doing this, BitTorrent will start using protocol obsfucation making it difficult to detect. They did this with eDonkey/eMule when ISPs tried the same thing.

Raistlin
14-07-2009, 06:37
most bittorrent clients are already capable of encrypting the data in transfer so that your ISP doesn't know what protocol you're using or what data you're transferring. The pattern of the traffic sometimes makes it easy to guess though :)

Ignitionnet
14-07-2009, 09:37
I doubt they will bother. As soon as ISP's start doing this, BitTorrent will start using protocol obsfucation making it difficult to detect. They did this with eDonkey/eMule when ISPs tried the same thing.

Err Bittorrent has been obfuscated for years.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

most bittorrent clients are already capable of encrypting the data in transfer so that your ISP doesn't know what protocol you're using or what data you're transferring. The pattern of the traffic sometimes makes it easy to guess though :)

There are ways to identify encrypted BT which have been employed, a few different ways. The obfuscation isn't as strong as people might think and for the most part it's identified just fine.

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

A while back I read that Virgin were planning on throteling Torrents, I'm sure they're doing it to me now. I was getting 2.3mb/sec constant for about 10 mins and the torents suddenly crashed... they took a long while to start back up and then would'nt go over 500kb/sec.

Now I know they were planning to manage torrents, but I have seen nothing official released regarding this. Also If they are, (or I should say are) throtelling torrents, then why would I have been reduced to 5mb download speed when I didn't even turn my computer on untill 22:30 tonight? If they start cheating on what they say they're going to manage they will loose customers fast. I for one am pretty P'd off with this, and unlimited ADSL2+ providers looking quite apealing to me now. By the way I'm on 20mb and I was running over 20 torrents, I specifically waited till after STM times so off peak hours

Running 'over 20' torrents simultaneously is a bad idea. Sounds more like you saturated the memory on your router or modem causing it to crash and it didn't come back cleanly.

broadbandking
14-07-2009, 12:02
Which I said your killing connection running too many torrents.

ThunderPants73
20-07-2009, 20:56
46gb? Jeez, I get wild eyed and twitchy at 2gb! Am I being a pussy for not daring to download anything of that size? Maybe I should grab life by the nads and live it up some!
*TP scurries off to the kitchen to liberate the Maltesers*

DigitalShadow
21-07-2009, 09:15
No problem here...

broadbandking
21-07-2009, 09:32
might want to resize the image mate

DigitalShadow
21-07-2009, 09:46
done

bigsinky
21-07-2009, 10:19
another one here with no slow down in torrent speed. mostly limited by number of peers. some sites such as tvtorrents with private trackers give mich better speeds. 7 - 10 torrents can max out my connection.

broadbandking
21-07-2009, 12:43
When I used 50Mb never did I have a issue with torrents, I am now using 20Mb and still having no issues with torrents.

Ignitionnet
21-07-2009, 17:39
When I used 50Mb never did I have a issue with torrents, I am now using 20Mb and still having no issues with torrents.

Cool, when I let them rip the modem and router compete to see who can crap out first.

DigitalShadow
21-07-2009, 18:08
Unlucky, had torrents going for about 30 hours at max speed, had 100 torrents running with maximum connections at 450...

Not had a single problem since 50Mbit was installed.

Ignitionnet
21-07-2009, 18:18
That's a hell of a downloading session, 30 hours at ~6MB/s with 100 different items. 650GB, wowsers! :)