PDA

View Full Version : Why must i keep rebooting my router?

weemax
12-07-2009, 20:37
Hi all :-)

Just something thats beginning to get a little annoying, probably my fault I know, but I'm not terribly well up on these things.

I have had my active Virgin ADSL line now for a few weeks & I'm using the free netgear router they send - DG834 is it?

Anyway, i have it connect to my 360 via RJ45 & also my PC via RJ45. I have psk encryption on it & also mac filtering.

Now, my pc & xbox 360 can always connect & my N95 can always connect. BUT... My lappy has problems connecting at times. I can go to bed as night switch the lappy on & it connects (wireless). I can go to bed as night switch the lappy on & it wont connect. Same in the morning. Problem is solved by running downstairs & rebooting the router. When the lappy cant connect, i can still connect using my N95.

Just wondering what it might be as it a bit annoying running down to reboot the router & happens at least once a day & the lappy is only on twice - morning & night. Maybe it is the lappy?

Any help would be great.

AbyssUnderground
13-07-2009, 11:39
Sounds like a possible driver issue, or, perhaps interference the laptop can't push through but the phone can. Try changing the channel on the wireless to the other end of the scale (e.g if on 1 try 11 or, if on 6, try 1 or 11).

weemax
14-07-2009, 13:02
Thanks for that. The router was on "Auto" channel. So i changed it to channel 11. Then, the laptop or N95 couldn't see the router. I then changed to channel 3. I went back upstairs & hey presto all was good, internet was on. Woke up the morning & it could see it - but didn't & wouldn't connect.

As soon as I select "netgear" & type in my code it starts connecting but cant seem to issue it with an ip address & just stops trying to connect again?

AbyssUnderground
14-07-2009, 13:15
Are you using the software for the wifi on your laptop or the Windows built in wifi connection window? The Windows one is often more reliable so if you can, disable the software and use Windows. Generally the option is "Use Wireless Zero Configuration" or something similar in the software in question.