PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Virgin router

jem16
12-07-2009, 15:48
After a problem with my internet and getting the modem swapped out as it wasn't suitable for my 20mb connection, I still had a problem. Turned out my D-Link router had died so I got out my brand new Virging router that I had been given but so far never used.

However the Virgin Netgear router Kept locking up and stopping all access to the internet. The modem worked perfectly when connected to the PC but when attached via the router the connection would drop after a few minutes. A reboot of the modem brought it back to life. Even doing nothing for a few minutes, the router would come back to life. Whilst it wouldn't work for internet it worked fine to transfer files between network pcs.

I tried my own Netgear router and exactly the same problem. I have since bought a Linksys router and no problems whatsoever. My previous D-Link worked perfectly too.

However I am intrigued as to why the Virgin router would not work. Am I entitled to a replacement? Will it have the same problem?

Ben B
12-07-2009, 15:56
Yes, you are entitled to a replacement just ring them up and they will send you a new one out.

Peter_
12-07-2009, 18:54
Yes, you are entitled to a replacement just ring them up and they will send you a new one out.
Only for a proven fault and he gets the same issue with his own Netgear router.

webcrawler2050
12-07-2009, 18:58
The modem worked perfectly when connected to the PC but when attached via the router the connection would drop after a few minutes

It may not be the Netgear thats causing the issue, it could be the Virgin Modem, thats causing the issues, give it a reboot and see if that helps.

jem16
12-07-2009, 19:36
It may not be the Netgear thats causing the issue, it could be the Virgin Modem, thats causing the issues, give it a reboot and see if that helps.

I have done several times. The issue lies with the router and its interaction with the modem.

With the Linksys router the connection is never dropped, same with the D-Link that I had (it is definitely dead as no leds other than power).

However for some strange reason neither netgears work with my modem - either the NTL 250 that I had or the new one (256).

I have been told the upstream is high at 56dbmv - could this be the problem with the router?