PDA

View Full Version : Service down in Basford region? (11/07/09)

CPhoenix
11-07-2009, 21:03
Hi,

Thought I'd post to double check if anyone else is getting the same problem in the area.
My internet access has been offline since early this morning and is still down now (8pm). I've been out most of the day however I was hoping that the service would come back by itself.
Unfortunately this hasn't been the case and despite navigating the Virgin Service pages and an incredibly brief call to customer support who gave the usual - "I can't be arsed to I'll send out an engineer for Monday" (at an inappropriate time).

In the chance that is just me that's suffering - looking at the CM it appears to be cycling trying to find a signal but is failing.

I've connected directly to the CM (255 modem I believe) and pulled back the following info:

Downstream Lock : Not Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 242000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps128Increment1
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 24.4 dB

Upstream Lock : Not Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 0
Upstream Frequency : 0 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 0 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 0

Is anyone else having the same problem in the area?
Would this co-incide with the 50MB rollout?

Cheers for any help you can give.
CP.

Peter_
11-07-2009, 21:19

The SNR is low but it may just be an area issue and coulod be back on before Monday, but we have to follow the process and if no fault is found then they would book an engineer.

Ignitionnet
11-07-2009, 23:52
The SNR is low but it may just be an area issue and coulod be back on before Monday, but we have to follow the process and if no fault is found then they would book an engineer.

It's low because he isn't locked to anything the modem is searching for a DOCSIS downstream. SNR will be low on that frequency as it's not a valid carrier at Basford, Basford being on a different frequency plan which doesn't include 242MHz.

Peter_
12-07-2009, 00:03
It's low because he isn't locked to anything the modem is searching for a DOCSIS downstream. SNR will be low on that frequency as it's not a valid carrier at Basford, Basford being on a different frequency plan which doesn't include 242MHz.
So that will be why the engineer is booked then.

monkey2468
12-07-2009, 00:08
Faulty modem or no signal.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Hi,

Thought I'd post to double check if anyone else is getting the same problem in the area.
My internet access has been offline since early this morning and is still down now (8pm). I've been out most of the day however I was hoping that the service would come back by itself.
Unfortunately this hasn't been the case and despite navigating the Virgin Service pages and an incredibly brief call to customer support who gave the usual - "I can't be arsed to I'll send out an engineer for Monday" (at an inappropriate time).

In the chance that is just me that's suffering - looking at the CM it appears to be cycling trying to find a signal but is failing.

I've connected directly to the CM (255 modem I believe) and pulled back the following info:

Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 242000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps128Increment1
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.7 dBmV

Upstream Lock : Not Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 0
Upstream Frequency : 0 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 0 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 0

Is anyone else having the same problem in the area?
Would this co-incide with the 50MB rollout?

Cheers for any help you can give.
CP.
Do you have Virgin TV, if so, is it a samsung and does ondamnd work?

CPhoenix
12-07-2009, 00:23
Unfortunately, I dont have the TV package :(

Heres the log info:
DS channel override in cfg file, re-scanning downstream
IP init completed ok
CableModem TFTP init ok
CableModem DHCP client init ok
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Downstream sync ok
Beginning initial ranging...
downstream time sync acquired...
Downstream sync ok
starting ds time sync acquisition...
Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Downstream lock ok
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

If it is the CM - I'm rather surprised why it suddenly failed last night without any previous problems.

monkey2468
12-07-2009, 00:26
It could have received a new firmware which is corrupted or faulty. In which case you would need a new modem.