PDA

View Full Version : Half of Manchester\Oldham down since Wed

city-boy
11-07-2009, 14:42
My internet 50Mb service went down Wed afternoon. I called and was told it was maintenance, they kept extending the ETA. Thu they told me that there was no longer a fault so scheduled an engineer for Sat. On the modem config it looked like a downstream problem.

Engineer just turned up and listed of a load of postcodes of affected areas. He informed me a UBR upgrade has gone disastrously wrong on Wednesday. The current ETA is Monday at 14:00, but they have already missed about 5 ETA's so I'm not confident. He informed me half of the 20/50Mbit customers in the whole of Manchester are down. A friend who lives across the road is working fine on his 2MB. Another friend on 20Mb isn't.

I'm suprised nobody else has reported this.

UnReaL
11-07-2009, 15:19
I reported this problem aswell, however mine started on Tuesday at around 3:00pm

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33652552-50meg-unknown-problem.html

However, I just got off the phone with VM 50meg support.

I was told that the issue was resolved fully and that they can confirm this, but...

They booked out an engineer because the upstream power levels were wrong which is why I don't have a ready light flashing anymore, I've been booked in for Monday, however I was also told they may be able to get an engineer in for Sunday, incase there is a cancellation - but the'll call me if something comes up.

Hopefully everything should be up and running on Monday.

Ronsommer
11-07-2009, 23:55
My 50mbit in Manchester city centre has been down all Saturday.

An engineer came out, looked at the modem, then called support and then told me it was an area fault (mentioned a lot of postcodes like M1, M4 and others)

I called again later and was told something would be fixed on Monday...

Been credited £11 to my bill

city-boy
13-07-2009, 11:29
They told me it would be fixed Monday at 14:00. It's still down now, but when I look at the config page of my modem the error has changes, so it looks like they may be doing some work on it.

My signal levels are fine, just waiting for them to fix this issue. The Indian call centre never know anything regards fault ETA's. Every time I called up I was given a new ETA and missed, then they would say there was no fault, when the same one still existed.

I also noticed that despite the size of this outage and length, they still haven't updated their online system status. It looks like there is no problem according to that.

Well I'm waiting. I'm paying a fortune at the moment for using a BT Internet hotspot I'm close to.

UnReaL
13-07-2009, 11:45
Engineer should be coming out between 12-4pm, I'll let you know what happens.

Been without it for six days.

gumpy321
13-07-2009, 12:16
For the record, my connection in Chadderton isn't down.

Ben B
13-07-2009, 12:21
I am on oldh3 UBR and my connection is fine, but i'm on 10mb not 20 or 50

UnReaL
13-07-2009, 13:57
During the last visit by an engineer on Friday, I was shown a text messege, which mainly showed Mx post codes. I don't think I saw any oldham based post codes on there.

Ben B
13-07-2009, 14:02
During the last visit by an engineer on Friday, I was shown a text messege, which mainly showed Mx post codes. I don't think I saw any oldham based post codes on there.

I wonder if mine was on there, i'm M24 and want to upgrade to triple XL but don't want a broken connection

Ronsommer
13-07-2009, 16:41
My 50mbit connection in Manc city centre has been working again since about 1 or 2 PM today. Had been down since Saturday morning.

UnReaL
13-07-2009, 21:10
Engineer came at around 3:50pm.

Immediately before he even walked into the house, he said that there are still problems that have not been sorted out (he installed 50mb for me and been once before for another issue) and their is no timeframe for when to expect it to work again.

I went upstairs, checked the modem out as he went back to his van and all the lights were stable, I checked the Internet, it worked.

So I called the engineer back and asked him to check out the power levels, everything was fine (for now), as I was told it may happen again, so he won't be closing the ticket.

I was shown a text messege, it showed M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M8, M22, M23, M24, M25, M26 and others that I can't remember. I was told that all 50mb services in those areas were affected and that 10mb were fine, along with SOME 20mb connections, that hadn't been moved to docsis 3.0.

The problem according to the engineer began when VM sent a new configuration file to the 50meg cable modems, which crashed them.

For the moment its working fine, I hope this never happens again.

Ben B
13-07-2009, 22:31
I was shown a text messege, it showed M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M8, M22, M23, M24, M25, M26 and others that I can't remember. I was told that all 50mb services in those areas were affected and that 10mb were fine, along with SOME 20mb connections, that hadn't been moved to docsis 3.0.

Well I wont be upgrading to 20mb just yet then...

city-boy
14-07-2009, 09:10
Mine came back up around 2pm yesterday, so the ETA was correct.