PDA

View Full Version : Night time online gaming very slow!

aphex187
10-07-2009, 10:36
Right this is for a friend who has the 2meg phone connection with Virgin, he plays COD4 on the PS3 which is wirelessly connected. Through the day he has 4 bars but come the night time when you fully expect it to lag slightly it goes down to just one bar.

This has been going on for a few months and finally he had the brainpower to phone Virgin up, they have stated that there is a problem and that from the hours of 20:00 for the next 4 days he has to turn his connection off till the morning so it can get in line with the network.

Now is this total bs or could this cure his problem of his connection being ridiculously slow in the evening?

thx!

zing_deleted
10-07-2009, 10:46
the wireless link has nothing to do with VM. I am assuming thats what you mean by 1 bar? What I would do is enter the routers wireless settings and change the broadcast channel.

I fixed a homehub wireless connection yesterday. From new it defaulted to channel 1 and was very slow and weak I changed it to 6 a its perfect

aphex187
10-07-2009, 10:47
Ok bud i'll let him know.

Yeah i mean normally on a PC u have the ping but on the 360/PS you have those stupid bars, through the day he gets 4 bars but at night it drops to just 1.

zing_deleted
10-07-2009, 10:51
oic I stand corrected still may be worth a go with the wireless settings though. I have my PS3 hardwired but aint tried online play so have not seen it :)

aphex187
10-07-2009, 10:55
Obviously at night the traffic will be heavy but it's getting to the point where the gaming is becoming unplayable for him, i should know as he screams various curse words into the mic haha!

v0id
10-07-2009, 11:55
When you say 'night time' is this still before 9PM when STM would throttle your friends connection 75% (and upto 4 hours after 9PM if the STM has been hit), which on a pre upgrade 2Mbps line is what, 512kbps?

Ignitionnet
10-07-2009, 12:26
When you say 'night time' is this still before 9PM when STM would throttle your friends connection 75% (and upto 4 hours after 9PM if the STM has been hit), which on a pre upgrade 2Mbps line is what, 512kbps?

STM on 2Mbit pre-upgrade was a 50% throttle.

renty
10-07-2009, 12:41
hi, im on 20mb and i get 12mb at best but when night hits i get 1-4mb and high ping and lagg , i have posted above about mine .....gaming is crap on virgin media and im lucky i have adsl line as well it works great for gaming , only reason im still with vm is that im getting free for 3 months because of this problem.....give them a call ...

aphex187
10-07-2009, 22:07
He can't remember off hand but he thinks it starts around 6ish to 7'oclock.

aphex187
13-07-2009, 09:40
He's now been told to monitor his speed via speedtest.net, the very same site i was told by various Virgin tech people not to use!?

chriscling
16-07-2009, 22:35
wired is always better than wireless, but if its stable in the day and unplayable at night its because....
call of duty servers are ran on a peer2peer networking system by demonware, it finds the person in the lobby with the strongest internet connection and automatically makes them the host, so everyone else in the lobby is connecting to this 1 person, which means, if hes playing at night, chances are all us brits have gone to bed and hes connecting to an american host, trying to ping packets to the otherside of the world wont do anyones gaming experience a favour.