PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media throttling VPN connections?

Burt-Kwouk
09-07-2009, 20:51
Greetings to all!

Just wondering if anyone else is/has experienced any limitations while using a VPN via VM cable?

I'm on the 20Mbit tariff in Devon and using an American based VPN called 'StrongVPN'.
Also using Windows XP SP3 with minimal security software, namely 'Outpost Firewall Pro'.

So, to cut a short story long.....
I started using StrongVPN about a year ago.
Due to my very low expectations from having previously used some seriously crap services like 'Relakks' and 'VPNtunnel', I was relatively happy getting in the region of 140KB/s downstream (with StrongVPN) since I resigned myself to the 'fact' that VPN connections were inherently slow.
Then, just recently, I discovered that I could request to have my service moved from StrongVPN's San Francisco servers to a more local one in the UK, and WHAM!!, I was suddenly consistently getting in the region of 10Mbit downstream.
Half of my direct connection speed.
The strange part is that services like 'Speedtest.net' measure my bandwidth at anything up to 18Mbit (I've been checking the speed on an almost daily basis while trying to work this out) but I never see any more than 1200KB/s using something like a download manager or DUmeter etc. to measure it.
So essentially, the connection between the speed-testing server and my VPN's server can be nearly the full 20Mbit, but by the time it gets back to my computer, it's only half that.
Stranger still is how consistent the terminal speed at my computer is.
Pinned at around 1200KB/s, never over, rarely under, as though it was being artificially limited (I've had experience of VM's capping - it's very much like that).

I've tried running with my (software) firewall disabled, because I know from experience that a malfunctioning firewall can create a bandwidth limit (I'm talking about you, 'Sygate Personal Firewall').
I'll test this further on the weekend with a totally un-firewalled laptop, just to make sure.
Also, I haven't ruled out some other factors like VM's el cheapo cable modem or the VPN service itself (who I'll be talking to ASAP).

So.....
Does anyone know if Virgin deliberately limit VPN connection speeds, and if so, why?
Obviously, I'd ask them directly if I thought there was any risk of getting an honest answer. :D
Thanks for reading!

jcm193
09-07-2009, 21:00
Greetings to all!

Just wondering if anyone else is/has experienced any limitations while using a VPN via VM cable?

I'm on the 20Mbit tariff in Devon and using an American based VPN called 'StrongVPN'.
Also using Windows XP SP3 with minimal security software, namely 'Outpost Firewall Pro'.

So, to cut a short story long.....
I started using StrongVPN about a year ago.
Due to my very low expectations from having previously used some seriously crap services like 'Relakks' and 'VPNtunnel', I was relatively happy getting in the region of 140KB/s downstream (with StrongVPN) since I resigned myself to the 'fact' that VPN connections were inherently slow.
Then, just recently, I discovered that I could request to have my service moved from StrongVPN's San Francisco servers to a more local one in the UK, and WHAM!!, I was suddenly consistently getting in the region of 10Mbit downstream.
Half of my direct connection speed.
The strange part is that services like 'Speedtest.net' measure my bandwidth at anything up to 18Mbit (I've been checking the speed on an almost daily basis while trying to work this out) but I never see any more than 1200KB/s using something like a download manager or DUmeter etc. to measure it.
So essentially, the connection between the speed-testing server and my VPN's server can be nearly the full 20Mbit, but by the time it gets back to my computer, it's only half that.
Stranger still is how consistent the terminal speed at my computer is.
Pinned at around 1200KB/s, never over, rarely under, as though it was being artificially limited (I've had experience of VM's capping - it's very much like that).

I've tried running with my (software) firewall disabled, because I know from experience that a malfunctioning firewall can create a bandwidth limit (I'm talking about you, 'Sygate Personal Firewall').
I'll test this further on the weekend with a totally un-firewalled laptop, just to make sure.
Also, I haven't ruled out some other factors like VM's el cheapo cable modem or the VPN service itself (who I'll be talking to ASAP).

So.....
Does anyone know if Virgin deliberately limit VPN connection speeds, and if so, why?
Obviously, I'd ask them directly if I thought there was any risk of getting an honest answer. :D
Thanks for reading!
I also use strong vpn but from there server in Holland,Iam on a 50 meg connection and have managed to download at at over 40 meg a second while the server is active.I would suggest you switch to this your get much better speeds than any of the us servers,to answer your question I dont think they throttle vpns well they dont to me anyway

Burt-Kwouk
09-07-2009, 23:53
Thanks for the response, and for being a fellow StrongVPN user!

That (likely) means that neither Virgin Media or StrongVPN are limiting speeds.
So it must be something else.
I will try moving to (an)other server(s), as I can always move back to the UK one if there's no improvement.

Cheers!

broadbandking
10-07-2009, 08:14
Don't forget if your downloading from a server it depends on the speed of the server and the load on the server.