PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance calls from the USA

Bod
09-07-2009, 19:25
Hi,

Some scumbag has stolen my wife's personal details and registered with some scam pyramid-type scheme in the USA (Michael Vincent's Underground Cash Secrets) using my wife's debit card to fund it.

The bank are sorting us out but for the last 5 days we've been receiving calls from salesmen in the US, and no matter how many times I explain it to them and politely ask them to remove us from their list they still continue calling. At one point the guy got quite agressive.

If we ignore or hang up they call continually until we answer, which we have to as we have a baby that we don't wish to wake. I've contacted Virgin Media and the only advice they give is to register with the TPS (which we already have and this isn't really a marketing call issue), or to change our number which we'll only do as a last resort. I would've thought it's possible to block incoming international calls, but the Virgin rep says not.:mad:

Has anyone got any advice? Is there anything else we can do? Anyone know anything else about these freaks of nature?

Toto
09-07-2009, 19:32
Hi,

Some scumbag has stolen my wife's personal details and registered with some scam pyramid-type scheme in the USA (Michael Vincent's Underground Cash Secrets) using my wife's debit card to fund it.

The bank are sorting us out but for the last 5 days we've been receiving calls from salesmen in the US, and no matter how many times I explain it to them and politely ask them to remove us from their list they still continue calling. At one point the guy got quite agressive.

If we ignore or hang up they call continually until we answer, which we have to as we have a baby that we don't wish to wake. I've contacted Virgin Media and the only advice they give is to register with the TPS (which we already have and this isn't really a marketing call issue), or to change our number which we'll only do as a last resort. I would've thought it's possible to block incoming international calls, but the Virgin rep says not.:mad:

Has anyone got any advice? Is there anything else we can do? Anyone know anything else about these freaks of nature?

It isn't possible to block international calls,but you can block calls that withhold their number - I think that may help, but I am by no means certain.

The other option is a telephone number change.

Maggy
09-07-2009, 19:36
Use an answer phone..and screen your calls that way..they will soon give up and move on.Also turn down the volume on the phone bell.

Paul
09-07-2009, 20:51
If its one of them, just put the phone down (but still off the hook) and leave them talking to themselves. They'll get fed up after a bit, when they realise no one is there and its costing them money.

AndyCambs
10-07-2009, 03:36
Try contacting the NCB - Nuisance Call Bureau. (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/security/unwantedcalls.html)

Our Nuisance Call Bureau (NCB) will help and guide you, if you have been a victim of a nuisance and/or malicious phone call. Just call our free phone number and ask for the NCB on 0800 953 3333.