PDA

View Full Version : Shared House, Why Can't get 2 lines?

dpbatagoda
08-07-2009, 22:46
Hi,

Today I ordered Virgin media bundle over the internet. But I recieved a reply saying that there is a already virgin line available at the house and it's not possible to get a new line to myself. (Only 1 line to one house).

I am in a shared house and one of the guy in a room has already taken virgin line to his room. Unfortunatly he doesn't like to share it with anyone.
Isn't there a way that I can get new line to my room?
If I had being a customer and moving to new shared house which has already have virgin line, what will happen?

There are lot of people living in shared houses in UK. If somebody willing to pay, why he can't get a new line for himself? This sounds rediculous.

Please help out

Thanks
Dharshana

horrorwood
08-07-2009, 23:02
I am not sure if it works, but if you live at say no.20... can't you just put no.20a as the house number?

Then just stick a piece of paper on your door saying 20a :P

dpbatagoda
08-07-2009, 23:15
Hi Mate,

it's a good idea. I have tried it, but when you go to order online, it only shows registered numbers in a particular postcode. I am not quite sure whether they allow to register new number. I called them and asked and they said, they have to check it why the number is not there.

Regards,
Dharshana

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2009, 23:16
Unfortunately this could be a case of "computer says no".

The principle for a long time has been one property, one service. Somehow you'd need to persuade Virgin Media that the property is a house in multiple occupation, and thus should be treated as different flats. Of course as a shared house, it may be that you are less likely to be there for the year;'s minimum contract period. Realistically this is something that the landlord should have considered by ensuring that services connected to the property are available to all occupants who share the costs.

Peter_
08-07-2009, 23:20
If your address does not show as being a separate address on the Royal Mail database then you cannot get Virginmedia broadband installed and they would send out a spotter anyway to confirm that you had your own front door and were not just in a room at the property.

virgin_tech
08-07-2009, 23:41
yes a shared house can have 2 lines, ive seen lots, even 2 storey flats have one drop cable and 2 telephones, a single house can have a second line installed.

telco drop cable has 2 pairs of wires blue and orange, blues to one house and oranges to another, you can get it sorted but im afraid talking to monkeys on computers, it may be difficult, you got to be lucky to get the right person who knows and cares for the customer.

a rare commodity

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

hey Moldova :) we need to set up a virginmedia help and rewire service.. make a killin lol

Peter_
08-07-2009, 23:51
yes a shared house can have 2 lines, ive seen lots, even 2 storey flats have one drop cable and 2 telephones, a single house can have a second line installed.

telco drop cable has 2 pairs of wires blue and orange, blues to one house and oranges to another, you can get it sorted but im afraid talking to monkeys on computers, it may be difficult, you got to be lucky to get the right person who knows and cares for the customer.

The system used to allow more than one modem per property but the new system does not and many people will and have posted in similar threads that they have 2 lines in their property but not with the new systems installed last year.

Benmcr will confirm this if he sees this thread.

virgin_tech
09-07-2009, 00:10
sorry im a bit confused at what ur saying, you started to say about modems then seem to go onto telco lines,

as i understand you can't have 2 modems in 1 house. you can have a second telephone line installed though.

but what Dharshana needs is for virgin to accept there is 2 flats at one property, and they can both be serviced off one drop

Peter_
09-07-2009, 00:12
sorry im a bit confused at what ur saying, you started to say about modems then seem to go onto telco lines,

as i understand you can't have 2 modems in 1 house. you can have a second telephone line installed though.

but what Dharshana needs is for virgin to accept there is 2 flats at one property, and they can both be serviced off one drop
Yes I realised you posted about telephone lines:dunce:

Bt will let you have as many as you want not sure about Virgin.

virgin_tech
09-07-2009, 00:22
in my long service i have only ever seen 2 installed, makes me wonder why they only had a 2 pair telco drop and not a 6...

thinking about it though its to do with the dp or node there are only enough Esides for 2 each, it would cost lots to change the architecture

Motorman
09-07-2009, 08:58
If its flats you live in, then you can have one connection per flat, no problem. (So long as they can get the cable in without running over someone elses property)
The flats need to be created on the system, which will require a spotter visit.

If its a shared house then VM will only allow one connection per house.
It is possible to have multiple accounts, as used to happen, but its just VM policy that prevents this happening (Telewest way of thinking. NTL used to allow this)
Rob hit the nail because mostly tenants in shared houses do not fulfil contract obligations

jungleguy
10-07-2009, 09:15
definition of a flat is separate bathroom and kitchen, if you share any of these then its a bedsit.
This thread isn't about second lines its about multiple accounts at an address, as in different account holders names. NTL use to allow multiple accounts, Telewest banned them.

Slyder
11-07-2009, 13:09
Perfectly possible.. just depends who you speak to. Unfortunatly not all the CS staff wish to play ball, not trained correctly or are just............. well I will save that comment to myself.

I recently had to move back in at my folks house and asked about this exact thing. After 5 people telling me it was not possible, person number 6 knew exactly how to achieve customer satisfaction and a seperate billing account number was created at the same property and a dedicate line was put into the loft which serves telly and bb.

Keep ringing and dont stop till you get someone who knows what there doing is all i can say. :)

Arthurgray50@blu
11-07-2009, 13:55
I can solve this problem, VM can give you this, as we had it, We spoke to there engineers, and they came round to the house, and we told them we wanted two lines plus TV coming into the house, they did argue, but l told them that we were with Sky and have multi room of FIVE boxes, and that we were going over to VM (wish we hadn't), the engineer came had a look, and we had it fitted three days later, they gave us a larger outside box, but they can do it. One line was for my son, and we had the other.

BenMcr
11-07-2009, 14:03
Perfectly possible.. just depends who you speak to. Unfortunatly not all the CS staff wish to play ball, not trained correctly or are just............. well I will save that comment to myself.

I recently had to move back in at my folks house and asked about this exact thing. After 5 people telling me it was not possible, person number 6 knew exactly how to achieve customer satisfaction and a seperate billing account number was created at the same property and a dedicate line was put into the loft which serves telly and bb.

Keep ringing and dont stop till you get someone who knows what there doing is all i can say. :)The only reason you managed that is because different rules applies for house moves and even then it subject to approval and survey

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

I can solve this problem, VM can give you this, as we had it, We spoke to there engineers, and they came round to the house, and we told them we wanted two lines plus TV coming into the house, they did argue, but l told them that we were with Sky and have multi room of FIVE boxes, and that we were going over to VM (wish we hadn't), the engineer came had a look, and we had it fitted three days later, they gave us a larger outside box, but they can do it. One line was for my son, and we had the other.
Yes they can easily do multiple telephone lines, but not multiple billing accounts which is what the OP needs