PDA

View Full Version : Routing internal cables

fiendishlyclever
08-07-2009, 21:54
I've had Virgin before and they just shoved a cable through an upstairs wall and shoved a connector on one end for my broadband.

I'm returning to Virgin shortly and have gone for tv and phone as well.

The tv point is dead in the centre of my house with no obvious route to lay a cable (the sky cable comes under the floor of my house to get to it).

Do Virgin installers work to the same rules as Sky installers - ie laying cable on the top of skirting boards? Clearly doing this would not be acceptable since there is no skirting board to follow etc.

My Sky cable is snagged so I can't use that to lay a draw-cable, a family member who is an electrician used some very bendy rods to lay the last one.

Do you think there is any chance of getting them to swap the long and inconvenient cable in the spare room for a socket on the wall (like I gather they should have done the first time).

MovedGoalPosts
09-07-2009, 00:37
Cables would normally be surface fixed inside a property.

If you need them concealed, you need to make life very easy for the installer by ensuring there is easy access to your intended cable route, and even then you'd need to butter them up. Remember installers can't normally drill into ceilings, and enter roofspaces.

fiendishlyclever
15-07-2009, 20:47
Thanks for the info :)

The nice helpful Virgin installer couldn't route the cables using the draw cable I managed to lay down (it was too stiff) but he left me a length of coax. I've put the cable in place under the floor boards from the virgin box to my tv.

I've decided I want my broadband in the same point - can they install a splitter and use the same coax for both?

JayJay
16-07-2009, 22:05
Yes we can, its the same cable.

fiendishlyclever
16-07-2009, 22:18
Yes we can, its the same cable.

Excellent! thanks for taking the time to reply :)

JayJay
16-07-2009, 22:21
No Problem, feel free to gimme a shout should you require anything :)