PDA

View Full Version : Freecycle for free stuff

dgardner
08-07-2009, 02:29
Hi,
I recently signed up with freecycle at http://www.freecycle.org and thought i would mention it here just to let people who haven't heard of it know and get them to sign up.
It is absolutely brilliant I have given away a load of stuff that i don't use or need rather than taking it to the tip and I have just gotten a free Moped :hyper:

Russ
08-07-2009, 08:18
I used freecycle once but I got put off by the pretentiousness of some people. There was one advert where this guy wanted to get rid of an all-in-one printer (needed ink but worked fine), a separate scanner and a computer desk chair as they were, in his words, "taking up space".

I replied to him simply saying "I'll have them :) " and later he replied saying "Please and thank you don't cost anything, and your reply has ensured I won't be giving them to you".

Well duh, I was doing him a favour if the items were taking up space as I was offering to shift them for him.

Tinky
08-07-2009, 08:21
It's amazing what people ask for and get! A caravan, laptop, washing machine, cookers, bunk beds etc., to name but a few.

Mr_love_monkey
08-07-2009, 08:27
I asked for a collection of 18 year old blonde nymphomaniacs - did I get them? No. Just ended up with yet another restraining order.

Russ
08-07-2009, 08:27
I asked for a collection of 18 year old blonde nymphomaniacs - did I get them? No. Just ended up with yet another restraining order.

Did you specify they were to be female?

Nugget
08-07-2009, 08:34

Or human?

Mr_love_monkey
08-07-2009, 08:47

Or human?

I'm not _that_ fussy

zing_deleted
08-07-2009, 08:52
I used freecycle once but I got put off by the pretentiousness of some people. There was one advert where this guy wanted to get rid of an all-in-one printer (needed ink but worked fine), a separate scanner and a computer desk chair as they were, in his words, "taking up space".

I replied to him simply saying "I'll have them :) " and later he replied saying "Please and thank you don't cost anything, and your reply has ensured I won't be giving them to you".

Well duh, I was doing him a favour if the items were taking up space as I was offering to shift them for him.

its not like he will be stuck with them. It would not hurt to have said "may I have them please" would it ;) lesson learnt for next time and i'll retain the info for if I ask for owt on there :)

Russ
08-07-2009, 08:55
If they were taking up space then he needed to get rid of them. I was offering to do that so I was doing him a favour. Anyway, someone as snooty as that can shove them IMO.

zing_deleted
08-07-2009, 08:58
If they were taking up space then he needed to get rid of them. I was offering to do that so I was doing him a favour. Anyway, someone as snooty as that can shove them IMO.

Yeah but can you not see his side of it Russ? you thought you had use for the stuff or you would not want it so you are both doing each other a favour. The spirit of freecycle I feel has gone over your head all this guy wanted was some manners and you call him snooty?

Russ
08-07-2009, 09:03
Yeah but can you not see his side of it Russ? you thought you had use for the stuff or you would not want it so you are both doing each other a favour. The spirit of freecycle I feel has gone over your head all this guy wanted was some manners and you call him snooty?

I wasn't specifically looking for those items but he was specifically looking to get rid of them. He had more to gain, I was offering to care of the situation for him.

My reply to him had a smiley as I didn't realise he'd be so up himself.

STONEISLAND
08-07-2009, 09:11

Its not about being 'snooty' its about having manners. I would have said the same.

It was free the least you could say is please. :rolleyes:

Russ
08-07-2009, 09:13
As I was doing him a favour the least he could have done is be grateful.

zing_deleted
08-07-2009, 09:16
I wasn't specifically looking for those items but he was specifically looking to get rid of them. He had more to gain, I was offering to care of the situation for him.

My reply to him had a smiley as I didn't realise he'd be so up himself.

You do not realise how funny that last sentence is ;)

Anyway I look through the digest for Coventry but not yet offered anything or had anything myself. I do have loads of kids stuff that eventually Bethia who is clinging on to childhood bless her :) will no longer want sonner rather than later :)

Kymmy
08-07-2009, 09:17
As I was doing him a favour the least he could have done is be grateful.

He's the one loosing out on money... He coud just dump it in the front garden with a PLEASE TAKE ME sign (or possibly even a £10 sign). Instead he's taken the time and effort to advertise it on freecycle.. Surely a please and thankyou wouldn't have gone amiss and you probably would have got a please and thank you back along with an all-in-one printer..

Sorry but when offering free stuff myself I've never ever gone with the people who think that they're doing me a favor..

zing_deleted
08-07-2009, 09:19
He's the one loosing out on money... He coud just dump it in the front garden with a PLEASE TAKE ME sign (or possibly even a £10 sign). Instead he's taken the time and effort to advertise it on freecycle.. Surely a please and thankyou wouldn't have gone amiss and you probably would have got a please and thank you back along with an all-in-one printer..

Sorry but when offering free stuff myself I've never ever gone with the people who think that they're doing me a favor..

at the end of the day there will always be takers for good stuff . I think I will be the same when I do end up clearing out :)

cuggle
08-07-2009, 09:20
IMO either way a please/thank you in any situation is common curtesy, I have used freecycle for a few years now both getting rid and collecting a few things

Russ
08-07-2009, 09:21

Had he just said he was offering the stuff for free that would have been different but he specifically stated that it was taking up space and he needed to get rid of it all. I was offering to do that for him.

Taf
08-07-2009, 09:32
I've used this service in both directions... better than chucking it out... but I was amazed how many vulnerable people opened their doors to me in the dark when I collected stuff... and then ushered me into their homes...

Kymmy
08-07-2009, 09:37
Had he just said he was offering the stuff for free that would have been different but he specifically stated that it was taking up space and he needed to get rid of it all. I was offering to do that for him.

Russ you'll probably find that the "Taking up space" was his way of saying that it's fully functioning and nothing wrong with it... A lot of people use exactly the same term on eBay

Russ
08-07-2009, 09:47
Russ you'll probably find that the "Taking up space" was his way of saying that it's fully functioning and nothing wrong with it... A lot of people use exactly the same term on eBay

In that case he should have made it clear - his advert also said the items were working and functional - freecycle was introduced to me as a way for people to get rid of items instead of going to the hassle of arranging for them to end up in a landfill. His wording indicated he was going along with that.

Out of interest I've just logged in there and responded to an advert with "I'll have it :)" and see if I get the same snooty response.

Jimmy-J
08-07-2009, 10:33
"I'll have them :)" Nothing like getting straight to the point. :D

I bet the person who took them away, had them for sale on ebay or his local flee market the very next day. ;)

SOSAGES
08-07-2009, 10:59
id reply to russ with a "please wouldnt hurt" but still give it to him.

LSainsbury
08-07-2009, 11:03
The FreeCycle group I'm in is also a bit of nightmare - some people really take the wee wee on there - like asking for all kinds of stuff from computers (like top spec!) to bikes and cars - all followed by the usual sob story.

No doub't they are down the local car boot or on eBay as already pointed out!

I call it the FreeLoaders list these days...

I've given quite a bit of stuff away and got a few bits from there - works ok sometimes...

Maggy
08-07-2009, 15:03
I had to give up..it was like getting everlasting spam in my inbox...:erm:

Mr_love_monkey
08-07-2009, 15:08
I had to give up..it was like getting everlasting spam in my inbox...:erm:

yeah, I've just got a rule now that sends it all to a folder which I delete once a week.

Incidentally, I probably wouldn't have given it to you Russ since you didn't say please - but I wouldn't have mailed you back to tell you that you weren't getting it because you didn't say please.

or maybe if it was a desk, I'd have put something unpleasant in the drawers.

Actually, I'd probably do that anyway

Scrubbs
08-07-2009, 16:08
yeah, I've just got a rule now that sends it all to a folder which I delete once a week.

Incidentally, I probably wouldn't have given it to you Russ since you didn't say please - but I wouldn't have mailed you back to tell you that you weren't getting it because you didn't say please.

or maybe if it was a desk, I'd have put something unpleasant in the drawers.

Actually, I'd probably do that anyway

;)I thought you had something unpleasant in your drawers anyway:D fnaar,,