PDA

View Full Version : Meg, Mg, Mb, Mbit......

DigitalShadow
07-07-2009, 23:09
Why did the media have to use the term MEG it has ALWAYS annoyed me as it has caused so many people to end up saying the wrong thing and then getting confused about speeds...

Just ranting as VM decided to cut off my internet as upgrading to 50mbit had caused me to reach my credit limit. FFS how stupid!

AbyssUnderground
07-07-2009, 23:16
You'll find a lot of companies do it because it sounds "less technical". Saying "Megabits per second" sounds a lot more technical than "Meg".

Suppose that's your fault for not checking your allowances... Nothing we or VM can do.

foddy
07-07-2009, 23:46
Just ranting as VM decided to cut off my internet as upgrading to 50mbit had caused me to reach my credit limit. FFS how stupid!
Apologies in advance for this post ... but you can't go complaining about the units people use, then talk about 50 MILI bits per second, rather than MEGA!

Sorry ;)

bigsinky
08-07-2009, 00:18
Why did the media have to use the term MEG it has ALWAYS annoyed me as it has caused so many people to end up saying the wrong thing and then getting confused about speeds...

then pay your bill on time. what has the mbit, kbit, MB, GB,TB got to do with you not paying your bill

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Apologies in advance for this post ... but you can't go complaining about the units people use, then talk about 50 MILI bits per second, rather than MEGA!

Sorry ;)

what is a mili bit?

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

You'll find a lot of companies do it because it sounds "less technical". Saying "Megabits per second" sounds a lot more technical than "Meg".

Suppose that's your fault for not checking your allowances... Nothing we or VM can do.

there is no cap on 50Mbit, there is no download allowance to breach :rolleyes:

Peter_
08-07-2009, 00:19
He did not get the chance to download as they cut him off.

bigsinky
08-07-2009, 00:22
they cut him off because he didn't pay his bill. I would say several months worth of bills. do VM not send reminder letters about outstanding bills. I have not paid my VM bill on time and my broadband has never been cut off.

DigitalShadow
08-07-2009, 00:27
My bill was paid on time that is what was so stupid about the whole thing, upgrading to 50Mbit caused me to go over my credit limit. How stupid is that!

and yes I should have put 50Mbit not 50mbit.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

they cut him off because he didn't pay his bill. I would say several months worth of bills. do VM not send reminder letters about outstanding bills. I have not paid my VM bill on time and my broadband has never been cut off.

It is paid by direct debit.

They credited my account due to their stupid system as I complained for quite a while about how stupid it was that upgrading to a higher tier would make me reach my credit limit with VM.

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

LOL, I know what the STM was for 20Mbit, that wasn't my point.

Peter_
08-07-2009, 00:38
You can be cut off for one late bill as the customers call in and say they have no broadband, it does happen check my sig.

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

My bill was paid on time that is what was so stupid about the whole thing, upgrading to 50Mbit caused me to go over my credit limit. How stupid is that!
He was cut off because he exceeded his credit limit even though they signed him up.

DigitalShadow
08-07-2009, 00:45
Yep, stupid really, you would have thought the person who placed my 50mbit order would have noticed that doing so would cause my bill to go over my credit limit! Also, had my install done today, the wireless router hasn't turned up either, don't need it though, but if I did, seems a bit stupid tbh that the install comes before the router.

Peter_
08-07-2009, 00:47
the wireless router hasn't turned up either, don't need it though, but if I did, seems a bit stupid tbh that the install comes before the router.
Usually the router arrives first so you may need to call in to chase it up.

bigsinky
08-07-2009, 00:53
well that pretty stupid of VM. hope they are waving reconnection fee if there is one

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Usually the router arrives first so you may need to call in to chase it up.

the engineer brought all my stuff on install day. modem, router, dongle. didn't need the router as i have the exact same model. doth the dongle and the router remain unopened

---------- Post added at 23:53 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

all in all not a great start to your 50Mbit experience :(

DigitalShadow
08-07-2009, 01:05
The only upside was the tech said it was the fastest speeds he had seen from a 50Mbit install.

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2009, 10:36

I wasn't talking about download allowance, I was talking about money allowance... I know there are no limits on 50Mbps.

DigitalShadow
08-07-2009, 10:45
I wasn't talking about download allowance, I was talking about money allowance... I know there are no limits on 50Mbps.

When I signed up I wasn't informed of a credit limit. No other company i've dealt with has given me a credit limit.

pazor
08-07-2009, 10:55
What is this credit limit ? I have never heard of a credit limit with VM? Do you have bad debts and a high risk customer.

DigitalShadow
08-07-2009, 19:59
Nope, always pay things off, had a credit card that was paid off in full each month, steady wage and plenty in reserves.

I think they may have done it due to not being at the same address for a long period.