PDA

View Full Version : New Broadband Installation- Can not reach activation site

anuj
07-07-2009, 19:44
Hi,
I just got a new broadband connection(10mbps) equipment.
Unfortunately opted for self install.

Have connected everything as per the quickstart guide. Modem connected directly to the laptop.

Quite frequently, the connection goes to Acquiring Network address. Also the Sync light starts to blink. Once the Sync light settles, the ready light blinks.

I can not ping or go to activation.virginmedia.com or any other site. If someone can guide me into the issue, i would be really obliged.
Got the following info from the modem log

Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant

Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1001
Hardware Version : 1.9
Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 331000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State In Progress Ranging Complete
Boot State In Progress Unknown

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 21.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.0 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 22200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 37.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Network Access : Denied
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 0
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 0
Maximum Number of CPEs : -1

First Time Last Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) IP helper returned error, re-scanning downstream
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem DHCP client init failed
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Sync Start
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) IP helper returned error, re-scanning downstream
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem DHCP client init failed

homealone
07-07-2009, 20:58
:welcome:

your SNR & downstream power are 'out of range' for normal operation - you may have to call in an engineer, but first try re-doing the connections to the modem.

- also edit out the MAC address & serial no of your modem from the above info, it leaves you vulnerable to nasty people if they are published ...

anuj
07-07-2009, 21:10
Thanks for pointing out that I had left the MAC address and serial. Forgot in the frustration :dozey:

Have just re-connected all wires.. still the same.. So i guess engineer it is. Any idea which number i should call on. I tried 0845 454 1111 but was on hold for 40 min then get disconncted.

Thanks a lot for pointing in the right direction.

fatassmichael
07-07-2009, 22:40
have you called the number in the quickstart guide to register the MAC address of the modem to your account? just that the information from your modem is saying your network access is denied.

Peter_
07-07-2009, 23:27
Thanks for pointing out that I had left the MAC address and serial. Forgot in the frustration :dozey:

Have just re-connected all wires.. still the same.. So i guess engineer it is. Any idea which number i should call on. I tried 0845 454 1111 but was on hold for 40 min then get disconncted.

Thanks a lot for pointing in the right direction.
Quickstart are on 0800 953 9500

anuj
08-07-2009, 07:02
Thanks. I called that number.. reached upto broadband installation issues option and then after hearing an automated messages telling me to restart the modem they disconnected the call. Twice.

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 ----------

have you called the number in the quickstart guide to register the MAC address of the modem to your account? just that the information from your modem is saying your network access is denied.

Not yet. I was just trying to finish the instructions as mentioned in the quickstart and "setting up your virginmedia bb" guide. it said to go to activation.virginmedia after installation.

anuj
08-07-2009, 09:18
New Update: I had sent the same log to Virgin Media through the contact us form and this is the reply i have gotHi Anuj
KANA EMAIL REF: 11964149
Thanks for getting in touch about an issue with your Virgin Media service.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the current issue you are experiencing.
From what you say in your email, it sounds as though you have not yet activated your new equipment to start your services.
To activate the equipment please telephone our Quickstart team on 0800-953-9500 where one of our agents can deal with this for you.
If there's anything else we can help with, please let us know.
Kind regards,
XXXXXXXXX
Econtact Support Team
Virgin Media
KANA EMAIL REF:11964149
For help and support with Virgin Media services you should find the following link useful:
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/
Can we also recommend checking our service status page http://status.virginmedia.com alternatively call our free phone service status line for information on service affecting issues. The free phone service status line number is 0800 561 0061

Mod Edit (Graham M): I have removed the member of staff's name as they did not (I assume) give permission for it to be posted. Thanks.

virgin_tech
08-07-2009, 18:22
you need to call quikstart to activate ur modem...

if the ready light stops flashing ur on the net, if it continues to flash,, God! couldn't get a web page on ur computer..

from ur info the 'snr is good' downstream power lvl is way to high should really be no more than +10 (zero is ideal btw)

the upstream power lvl just scrolls up to 61db and starts again on a diff frequency until it locks on,, when it has finally locked on, it should be lower than 50db

Peter_
08-07-2009, 18:25
You need to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anuj
08-07-2009, 19:07
you need to call quikstart to activate ur modem...

if the ready light stops flashing ur on the net, if it continues to flash,, God! couldn't get a web page on ur computer..

from ur info the 'snr is good' downstream power lvl is way to high should really be no more than +10 (zero is ideal btw)

the upstream power lvl just scrolls up to 61db and starts again on a diff frequency until it locks on,, when it has finally locked on, it should be lower than 50db

Thanks. I called them and now I can connect to the net ;) My power level for downstream is still shown as 16.7 with snr around 40... should i be concerned about this

virgin_tech
08-07-2009, 20:12
snr at 40 is good, above 33 is whats needed. 16.7 downstream power is high but it does work.. the main one to look at is up power lower than 50db is good...

with ur stats i reckon you should be at 47.5db.