PDA

View Full Version : Installing Cable in a one off new build

markmarkymark
07-07-2009, 12:11
Afternoon All.

A long long time since I was last here. I had vigin (NTL) for about 5 years in previous house - most of the time was very reliable.

Then, one year ago we moved to a new house. The house was built in the (rather large) garden of a house that still remains. Both houses and gardens are now separated by two driveways with a small stip of grass that runs up between them.

The whole close we live in has cable - this was put in about 10 years ago and you can still see where the channels were cut into the pathway. Now the issue is that there is no direct and easy route between my land and the nearest cable point. Also, it appears the house next door (which was the last house in the close on our side of the road before our house was built) never had cable since the cable point stopped short of their house (its actually located by the drive way of the NEXT house up the close).

So I can only see the following options:

1) Take a feed of the nearest cable point on our side of the road - This will not be done - it would mean taking up two driveways and that is not not an option.

2) Opposite to us, on the other side of the road (single road, typical of a quiet close) is a NTL plate in the pavement. In terms of distance it is only perhaps 3m from our garden (i.e. distance from NTL point, over the road and onto our grass land). Our front garden is quite long (about 80m) but once the cable enters the garden I would imagine it would be quite easy to lay something just below the surface.

The issue is - is option (2) viable? I am not so bothered by the cost and would expect to pay for what would be quite an installation job over and above the norm....

But would Virgin even consider doing option 2?

THe area have been surveyed but I have no idea of the results of this (as you know it is difficult to get info from those in the know).

Just wondered what you thought?

cheers

Mark

zing_deleted
07-07-2009, 12:14
when you say you are not bothered by cost you do realise it could be a high cost in the thousands

markmarkymark
07-07-2009, 12:25
Hi Zing... you make a good point - a few £100 I could live with - a few £1000 and I would tell em to leave it (even if it were possible).

zing_deleted
07-07-2009, 12:42
its the planning perms needed to dig anything public I would guess in the tens of thousands at that. (pure guess)

nodrogd
07-07-2009, 23:11
I cant see VM laying a duct 6 - 8 feet under a road to serve one customer. They will I think dig up to 30ft of pavement to add a new swept tee into an existing duct.