PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive liars

Halcyon
07-07-2009, 01:26
Hello,

Has anyone ever met a compulsive lier ?

We have someone at work who can't stop lying about everything.
And I don't think he even notices he is lying.

It's like a complete make believe world.

Now, one of my other colleagues has started too. It's like a habit and they can't help it.

Yesterday he told me he had gone over to NewYork for the day, that the flight took 2 hours from East Midlands Airport, and that he told another colleague it was LA he went to instead.
He also has told us that he regularly meets by chance and chills out with celebrities and that he has several homes accross the world.

It seems crazy!

I have a feeling that they are people who are trying to fit in and feel they need to create another world to be recognised. I'm not sure. They are perfectly nice people and are great to be around, but they have this need to make things up at times.
However much you challenge the person that you don't believe them they continue to lie.

Has anyone else met anyone like this?

moaningmags
07-07-2009, 01:29
Yes I can think of two people straight off. But they might visit here so I'm saying no more :D

Graham M
07-07-2009, 01:36
Mmhmm I know just the sort of people you mean, usually it's some sort of inferiority complex I reckon

webcrawler2050
07-07-2009, 01:37
Hello,

Now, one of my other colleagues has started too. It's like a habit and they can't help it.

Yesterday he told me he had gone over to NewYork for the day, that the flight took 2 hours from East Midlands Airport, and that he told another colleague it was LA he went to instead.
He also has told us that he regularly meets by chance and chills out with celebrities and that he has several homes accross the world.

It seems crazy!

I have a feeling that they are people who are trying to fit in and feel they need to create another world to be recognised. I'm not sure. They are perfectly nice people and are great to be around, but they have this need to make things up at times.
However much you challenge the person that you don't believe them they continue to lie.

It's ALL about trying to impress - I used to be like that - didn't even know I did it all the time - until, i realised one day, saw a shrink person who helped me control it.

joglynne
07-07-2009, 02:06
I've never come across the kind of romancers Halcyon is working with and suspect that most of what motivates them is down to low esteem and, rather than only trying to impress, I think what also may drive them is the need to make themselves more interesting.

In the course of my work dealing with fraud I did use to come across the other end of the spectrum and met many out and out liars. Now they could look you in the eye and speak with such conviction that, if I didn't have cast iron evidence to the contrary, I would have believed anything they told me.

moaningmags
07-07-2009, 02:20
Oh oh oh wait a minute I know 3 more. They're teenagers and they're mine!!

Look me in the eye and lie without blinking but I'm well clued up and catch them out ;)

tweetypie/8
07-07-2009, 15:34
Hello,

It seems crazy!

give me a hook any day no time for liars.

Ravenheart
07-07-2009, 15:44
Had a guy at work who was like this, he was affectionately known as Captain BS, but it was always harmless and just made him look daft rather than anything malicious.

MovedGoalPosts
07-07-2009, 17:44
I assume we are generally referring to politicians, and Gordon Brown in particular?

punky
07-07-2009, 17:52
Nothing wrong with compulsive liars, we're are a harmless bunch really.

I think you're all just jealous because i'm a squillionaire several times over due to my Premier League football job and flying fighter jets in the summer. :p:

Halcyon
07-07-2009, 18:55
Well punky, I'm Batman!

Beat that!

joglynne
07-07-2009, 19:06
I shall be 21 next year and men have been known to walk into lamp posts when they first see the absolute perfection of my ..... no, I couldn't tell those lies without giggling. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/06/12.gif

xocemp
07-07-2009, 19:09
I work with a guy, I don't know if he would be labeled and compulsive liar.
He is more of a one up manship type of guy. He's done it bigger, better, faster etc or he knows someone who has out done you. Gets right on my nerves TBH.

Oh and btw I am Leonidas king of sparta

superbiatch
07-07-2009, 21:49
Try this - when they next lie, trip them up. And then watch their reaction. I've found this certainly slows down the amount of BS I'm told ;)

But it does mean you can never believe a word they say, sad really :(

Halcyon
07-07-2009, 22:04
Yes, I tried tripping him up the other day saying "Did you see that they had moved the Statue of liberty to another location due to safety" and he replies "Yes".

LOL

Stuart
07-07-2009, 23:25
We used to have one at work. When my old boss wanted to emigrate to aus, this guy promised to sort out a visa (apparently he knew someone high up in the aus immigration service). Not surprisingly no visa was sorted.

A couple of years later, I saw him at a party. He promised to get me a better paid job and took my contact details. Guess what?

Mr_love_monkey
08-07-2009, 08:25
Well punky, I'm Batman!

Beat that!

Don't be daft, you can't be Batman.

I've never heard anything so stupid.

I'm Batman, not you!

Hugh
08-07-2009, 21:16
Here's one on the news today (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8139909.stm)

We used to call his sort "Walts", after Walter Mitty.

lucy7
08-07-2009, 21:19
Here's one on the news today (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8139909.stm)

We used to call his sort "Walts", after Walter Mitty.

Oh heck, thats sad, wonder why he embellished his history?

budwieser
08-07-2009, 21:34
I used to work with a really scrawny bloke who was a warehouseman and claimed he was actually in the SAS! :D
When there was an Afghan hijacking at an airport, he didn`t come into work that day, the next day he clocked in and said he`d not come in because he`d been called in to deal with it!
What a ****!:D
:rolleyes:

Cobbydaler
08-07-2009, 21:47
Oh and btw I am Leonidas king of sparta

I am Spartacus! :D

lucy7
08-07-2009, 21:48
I used to work with a really scrawny bloke who was a warehouseman and claimed he was actually in the SAS! :D
When there was an Afghan hijacking at an airport, he didn`t come into work that day, the next day he clocked in and said he`d not come in because he`d been called in to deal with it!
What a ****!:D
:rolleyes:

Maybe he was admin?;)

:Sprint:

Stuart
08-07-2009, 22:12
I am Spartacus! :D

No, I am Spartacus...

LondonRoad
08-07-2009, 23:14
I worked with a guy, now sadly departed, who came away with top notch BS. He was pretty harmless though, his stories were so far fetched you couldn't really get annoyed with him.

My favourite was when he was with the Canadian Air Force his plane developed a fault and he had to manually land it on a cloud and get out and repair it himself. :D:D He'd tell it with a straight face too. I think he'd told it that often he actually believed it himself.

Halcyon
09-07-2009, 00:51
LOL
That is excellent!

icestar2
09-07-2009, 01:04
I worked with a guy, now sadly departed, who came away with top notch BS. He was pretty harmless though, his stories were so far fetched you couldn't really get annoyed with him.

My favourite was when he was with the Canadian Air Force his plane developed a fault and he had to manually land it on a cloud and get out and repair it himself. :D:D He'd tell it with a straight face too. I think he'd told it that often he actually believed it himself.

Lol thats got to be one of the best ones I've heard :)