PDA

View Full Version : over 500GB per day, that can't be right

bigsinky
06-07-2009, 17:44
following on from a previous thread were people have stated they download 1TB per month. have i got my figures right.

50Mbit = 6MB/sec

360MB/ minute

21GB/ hour

518+GB/day

15TB/month

have i got this right? seems a helluva lot. thats alot of newsgroup downloading. do you think VM would notice ;)

dannybear
06-07-2009, 17:59
On normal day for me, I do at least 10 gig.

Downloading Beta games programs. As some of them are like 8 gig now +.

Just look at EA game store now a normal download of a game is at least 15 gig.

Ignitionnet
06-07-2009, 18:03
On normal day for me, I do at least 10 gig.

Downloading Beta games programs. As some of them are like 8 gig now +.

Just look at EA game store now a normal download of a game is at least 15 gig.

You beta a new one every day and they don't incrementally update?

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

following on from a previous thread were people have stated they download 1TB per month. have i got my figures right.

50Mbit = 6MB/sec

360MB/ minute

21GB/ hour

518+GB/day

15TB/month

have i got this right? seems a helluva lot. thats alot of newsgroup downloading. do you think VM would notice ;)

I have no idea if VM would notice to be honest. I have my doubts that they would do anything even if they did - costs money to have people talk to extremely heavy users, STM is free.

I doubt that there are people who do 15TB/month but certainly there are people who do 1TB/month. Some people are like digital hermits who have to collect movies, etc, just because they are there even though they are never going to have the time or inclination to watch them.

There are people on this forum have multiple-TB of drive space, a Blu Ray movie goes up to the 50GB mark nearly, so you do the maths. No-one pays for a load of hard drive space for nothing.

dannybear
06-07-2009, 18:10
Rofl .... I do find CA Forums funny twist and shake, like shake and vac!

Am on fileplanet list plus others. I do a lot of test runs for the Uni am at the moment. So having to download from there on a number of times to get updated files. This is why another reason I was getting capped with Virgin.

Fine example look at BBC Iplayer download HD services, 1.3gig.

I was only saying as example, i.e. like the what common people do on aday to day depends.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

As for the newsgroup downloading, I think its hard for them to watch via the downloads.

Ignitionnet
06-07-2009, 18:13
Unsure what I'm supposed to have twisted what you said was pretty clear, if you were giving examples a 'for example' would have been good.

The normal VM customer's usage is actually still under 1GB/day - even in Japan home of (real) fibre optic wonderment the average usage is still under 1GB/day though for how long only time will tell!

Peeps using >10GB/day are very much in the minority which is just as well :)

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

[/COLOR]As for the newsgroup downloading, I think its hard for them to watch via the downloads.

Nothing to do with VM what you download nor is it any of their business, they don't want to be monitoring that they should only be caring about how much data goes across each customer's modem. This they can monitor but whether they do or not is quite different.

Rik
06-07-2009, 22:32
500GB+ per day does sound possible on 50Mb, cost you a fortune in Hard Drives tho, even if they are going down in price all the time.

Let see how long it takes VM to implement STM on the 50Mb service shall we?

bigsinky
07-07-2009, 12:48
I doubt that there are people who do 15TB/month but certainly there are people who do 1TB/month.

Hmmmm.........not quite 1TB/month...........but guilty :(

Some people are like digital hermits who have to collect movies

In my case TV Series, which i do watch i have to say.

There are people on this forum have multiple-TB of drive space

Again guilty. 11 - 12 TB over 4 machines. When i upgrade i tend to keep the old bits 'n' pieces left over. Inevitably they tend to make up smaller less powerful PCs but are good for storage. smallest drive 80GB and for £46 scan are doing hitachi 1TB drives.

AbyssUnderground
07-07-2009, 22:08
Yes, 500GB/day is possible on 50Mbps, since 100Mbps can push around 1TB/day if utilised to maximum for 24 hours.

I am amongst the people who push close to 1TB/month through my line (I'm on 10Mbps). The closest I've come is 880GB and last month was 645GB, so no, VM don't seem to notice my usage as I've never had any letters and I push similar amounts most months.

Put it this way, you pay for 50Mbps, you expect to get it ;) If they can't supply it, they shouldn't sell it, and that's what I always have and always will say.

BTW I have 5.5TB total storage space ;) and more on the way!

fedupstill
07-07-2009, 22:38
i use less on 50mb than i did on 20mb ... most of my use is my daughters xbox and downloading games but the traffic management meant she couldnt use after school without getting it restricted :( to get round that i would download everything that was new after 9pm but now she does it and takes what she likes and uses less bandwidth

speed isnt why i have 50mb its because we are heavy users at peak time

|Kippa|
07-07-2009, 22:58
Broadbandings you said that you were looking into the issue of faster upload speed, have you had any response or heard any mutterings about fast upload speed yet?

AbyssUnderground
07-07-2009, 23:14
Broadbandings you said that you were looking into the issue of faster upload speed, have you had any response or heard any mutterings about fast upload speed yet?

I'd also like to know more about this.

broadbandking
08-07-2009, 08:11
The higher upload is coming but won't be until 50Mb is rolled out, VM are testing it with the current upload whilst its been rolled out to make sure they don't see he network die so they use 1.75Mbit upload to be safe and cuz they are cheap.

bigsinky
08-07-2009, 08:16
BBK - the $64000 question, any ideas what the upload speeds are going to be. do you think we will get 10% of our download?

broadbandking
08-07-2009, 18:17
As fair as I have been told is the 50Mb will be 2.5Mb upload and may increase, once the UBR's can handle upstream channel bonding.

Ignitionnet
08-07-2009, 19:00
As fair as I have been told is the 50Mb will be 2.5Mb upload and may increase, once the UBR's can handle upstream channel bonding.

I'm interested in where this came from, I've asked around a few people and no-one seems to have any idea what level any upstream increases might be set at. I've only actually heard this from a couple of people on this forum.

Given that upstream bonding is not in any way required to go far higher than 2.5Mbit as I've mentioned many times in the past this sounds like someone just picked a number out of their backside and spread a rumour which soon took on a life of its' own.

VM have tested as far as I know 5 and 6Mbit upstream in pilots, other operators go as high as 10 and 15 without using bonding.

broadbandking
09-07-2009, 08:43
Check your PM broadbandings

AFAIK the 5-6Mb upload was with different modems as Popper has stated the current modem can't do upstream bonding, seems strange why the config page gives you the 4 channels for upstream but anyways just wait and see when the 50Mb is fully rolled out, Virgin may change their minds on upload.

Ignitionnet
09-07-2009, 15:25
The current modem can bond 4 upstreams - all DOCSIS 3 modems must be able to bond 4 up and 4 down and the VMNG is based on a DOCSIS 3 certified chipset.

DigitalShadow
09-07-2009, 16:30
if they bonded 4 upstream, what in theory could they offer us? 100mbit?

broadbandking
09-07-2009, 17:18
I know that but popper was saying the chipset is bronze and cant do upstream bonding.

4x 8.8Mbit I think

|Kippa|
09-07-2009, 21:35
What is the maximum theoretical upload speed that current virgin media modems could do.

DigitalShadow
09-07-2009, 21:36
eurodocsis 3.0 should be able to top 100mbit on upload

|Kippa|
09-07-2009, 22:17
I know that by the eurodocsis standard that you can go up to 100mbit on upload. I just want to know what these specific modems that Virigin Media are using at the moment are capable of doing, with regards to upload rate.

Ignitionnet
10-07-2009, 10:27
I know that but popper was saying the chipset is bronze and cant do upstream bonding.

4x 8.8Mbit I think

No, the CMTS is bronze, the modems are all fully certified there is no sub-class of cert for modems.

8.8Mbit / 9Mbit is the DOCSIS 1.1 upstream, DOCSIS 2 upstreams go up to about 27Mbit of throughput and the modems could bond 4 of those, assuming a person is in an area good enough to handle 4 of that type of upstream.

This is no excuse though, upstreams go up to 27Mbit or so and have for a few years.

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

I know that by the eurodocsis standard that you can go up to 100mbit on upload. I just want to know what these specific modems that Virigin Media are using at the moment are capable of doing, with regards to upload rate.

5.12 Msymbols/second * 6 bits / symbol = 30.72Mbit/s line rate.

4 of these = 122.88Mbit/s line rate. Actual throughput approximately 108Mbit/s.