PDA

View Full Version : Flashing traffic lights on modem and router

tweetiepooh
06-07-2009, 14:23
My folks have just had BBXL installed (Mates Rates) with a free G router. Even with all machines in house off the (I assume) internet light on the router and the send light on the SACM are continuously flashing. If I use a cable onto the router I can confirm no mysterious wireless use confirming that the wireless light remains steady.

Is there some odd thing this router does sending something out or is it just normal behaviour? My own Belkin router doesn't do this. If PC's are all off then lights remain steady barring occasional brief flicker.

webcrawler2050
06-07-2009, 14:43
Well, if you got the free Netgear router, the lights my flash slightly as there is "always" some activity going on - sync'ing etc. So yes, it's "normal"

Jelly Bean
06-07-2009, 16:29
Did you password/encrypt the router?

Is the flashing light green or orange?

If it is green then it is possible something is connected via wireless.

But if you could indicate which lights are flashing and what colour they are this may give us more of a clue to what the issue is.

moaningmags
06-07-2009, 16:31
It should always be green, orange indicates a problem.

tweetiepooh
06-07-2009, 17:09
The lights flashing (from memory) are on the router looks like an <i>. The wireless is secured though I may secure it better using AES rather than TKIP and the wireless light is solid.

On the SACM it's mostly SEND. If someone where using the net I'd expect the RCV to be lighting too.

Just seems odd that the free router would chatter so much.