PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a static ip now ?

imandy
04-07-2009, 17:50
I used to be able to change my i.p and I did this fairly regularly for an online game I play. Recently noticed that it wont change now =/

Is there any reason why it won't change ?

Graham M
04-07-2009, 17:51
Why would you need to change your IP unless it was for some malevolent purpose?

imandy
04-07-2009, 18:46
Oh it's not for a bad reason whatsoever, I play a very popular MMORPG named runescape. And it's very complicated and hard to explain if you have no knowledge of what it is.

It's for a minigame within the game itself.

Graham M
04-07-2009, 18:49
When you say you used to change it all the time, how did you used to go about doing this? (And no, no static IPs on VM, just very sticky ones)

imandy
04-07-2009, 19:29
Steps I took was;

Cmd, Ipconfig/release
Go into the tcp/ip settings, set a 111.111.111.111 ip
Then get a ip automatically.

Used to change ip for me.

Kymmy
04-07-2009, 19:35
I used to be able to change my i.p and I did this fairly regularly for an online game I play

Only time you'd need to change an IP in an online game is if you;re either banned or not wanting others to know who you are..

You're not on a static IP, but it is semi-tied to whichever MAC which requests an IP from the modem, just change the MAC on your NIC/ROUTER to gain a new IP..

When you say you used to change it all the time, how did you used to go about doing this? (And no, no static IPs on VM, just very sticky ones)

VM doesn't even have sticky IP's only NtlTelewest Business :p: ;)

imandy
04-07-2009, 19:45
"Only time you'd need to change an IP in an online game is if you;re either banned or not wanting others to know who you are.."

There's no way whatsover other people can know who you are on this game.
They also don't issue ip bans, only account bans.

As i said, it's for a minigame within the game iteself.

edit - I don't have a router =o how do i do this ?

xocemp
04-07-2009, 19:47
Spoof the MAC of your NIC or use a router, you could even buy and fit a new network card.

Ignitionnet
04-07-2009, 19:49
Why would you need to change your IP unless it was for some malevolent purpose?

Relates to the Castle Wars minigame which separates players whose timing is identical through their IP address, though it's not certain 100% how.

Regarding changing IP, you can't. Those areas where you could were not configured properly.

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Spoof the MAC of your NIC or use a router, you could even buy and fit a new network card.

Apart from doing that, but if you wanna do it every time you want to game the Castle Wars formula it's more work than I'd be bothered with :)

imandy
04-07-2009, 19:52
Broadbandings, will you add my msn so we cant talk about this ?

<mod edit: deleted>

xocemp
04-07-2009, 20:02
Mate, you've pulled ;) :p:

MovedGoalPosts
04-07-2009, 23:54
<snip>

Probably not a sensible idea to publicly post your email / msn addy. It's fair game for the spammers.