PDA

View Full Version : Divebombing seagulls

Turkey Machine
03-07-2009, 22:35
This may sound like a laugh, but it's not. It's downright annoying.

On several roofs around the town, we have seagulls that breed in the summer. Recently, whenever I go down one particular road, I get constantly divebombed by this one overzealous protective seagull that thinks I'm gonna attack its young. Only snag is I don't particularly like heights so am unlikely to climb up on the roof. I'm on the road/path, just walking past, then get attacked by this seagull, divebombing me. It's even worse when I walk the dog along this road, as it's our normal route to walk the animal.

What am I within my legal rights to do about this feck of a bird? There are a couple around my area that are over-protective and divebomb people walking past. The last time I rang the council and asked what I could do about it, they said that I can't do anything about it because seagulls are protected, at which point I said I'd consider killing the buggers there and then because I am not being attacked every time I walk out the house. It'll turn me into an agoraphobe.

Have considered carrying a crowbar next time I walk down that road and am gonna see what contact comes about it. Perhaps then it'll learn.

xpod
03-07-2009, 23:17
Have considered carrying a crowbar next time I walk down that road and am gonna see what contact comes about it. Perhaps then it'll learn.

You`d better not,you might find yourself doing some other form of bird.
Print off the dive-bomber below and stick him on a dart board instead....it wont stop the one concerned but it might make you feel better:)

Hom3r
03-07-2009, 23:21
They proberly have chicks nearby, thus doing what comes naturally.

Turkey Machine
03-07-2009, 23:40
They proberly have chicks nearby, thus doing what comes naturally.

I know they have chicks, what irks me is the fact I'm not allowed to do anything to protect myself whilst walking. I can't walk down that road without being accosted by this one bleeding seagull.

Mal
03-07-2009, 23:45
Walk with a golf umbrella and use it as a shield ;)

Turkey Machine
03-07-2009, 23:51
Don't have a golf umbrella, but do have an umbrella. That will be put to good use. I have a vengeful hate for this pest. Will ring the council Monday morning and see just what they say/recommend.

Maggy
03-07-2009, 23:58
Sea gulls are protected? :shocked:

Apparently so..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/4528416/Sea-gulls-could-overrun-cities-if-given-protected-status.html

A spokesman for Defra said: "All wild birds - including gulls - are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Natural England derogates from this protection, for certain reasons such as public health or air safety, by issuing general licences. This is currently being reviewed."

however,

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds has called for two species of gull to be removed from 'general licence', which gives councils the right to control numbers.
Conservationists say the rise in urban gulls is masking an overall decline in population of Great Black-backed gulls and Herring gulls.

Lunacy..it's like protecting the other flying vermin..the pigeon.:rolleyes:

Turkey Machine
04-07-2009, 00:16
Pigeon are vermin and aren't protected, no?

Yes, I was shocked to find they were a protected species, at which point the last time I rang the council I protested that "how could they be a protected species when they're breeding every year on people's houses?"

I'm also considering calling an exterminator and seeing whether other residents would also consider using his services.

Chicken
04-07-2009, 00:55
A tennis racquet is a useful thing...:dozey:

xpod
04-07-2009, 00:59
Where else could you find a turkey* getting advise about seagulls from a chicken :)

EDIT:Says the penguin.

SMG
04-07-2009, 02:05
It seems a pity that a damned seagull can attack people, but people cannot retaliate. Arnt Humans a protected species too???

Who will take the blame if this bird swoops on a child, or a baby??

My philosophy on life is live & let live, but if I`m attacked, I`m afraid I hit back. Next time you go out, take a cricket set with you, keep the bat in your hand.

Mal
04-07-2009, 02:22
It's only going to be for a short period, whilst the chicks have grown; it's nothing personal...

Nidge
04-07-2009, 05:13
Go out and buy a sparrow hawk chick, bring it up the right way and when it grows up into an adult you'll have no trouble with the seagulls, he'll see them all off.:D:D:D It's the only way to go these days.

multiskilled
05-07-2009, 00:31
Your lucky they have only swooped on you. I've had two seagull chicks fall down my chimney (they nest on my roof), into the dining room which had just been decorated. The soot and mess was all over as the chicks panicked and ran about all over as we tried to usher them out the back door.

We've put a cap on the chimney now to prevent it happening again.

xpod
05-07-2009, 11:51
We've put a cap on the chimney now to prevent it happening again.

Thats a terrible thing to do.......

How the hell is Santa going to get down now?
;-)

Peter_
05-07-2009, 12:32
Thats a terrible thing to do.......

How the hell is Santa going to get down now?
;-)
He has a magic key http://www.chinaberry.com/images/pimages/12871.jpg

xpod
05-07-2009, 13:11
He has a magic key

Oh well,it`s probably better that way.
Too many angry seagulls up there to be getting stuck in a chimney.

multiskilled
08-07-2009, 18:39
Santa doesn't come to my house any more, after I was a naughty boy. :disturbd:

lucy7
08-07-2009, 20:16
It's only going to be for a short period, whilst the chicks have grown; it's nothing personal...

Ignore Mal!

It is personal.

Seagulls hate Turkeys! ;):);)

Turkey Machine
08-07-2009, 20:58
Believe me, if it happens again I'll make it personal. :)

Turkey Machine
17-07-2009, 22:47
I had this happen to me again on Thursday, and if it happens again on the same road, same point, I'm going back home and getting the crowbar.

fireman328
19-07-2009, 10:40
A loaf laced with cyanide can usually cure the problem.

Turkey Machine
20-07-2009, 18:46
Know where I can find this magic cyanide?

xpod
01-08-2009, 14:17
I had this happen to me again on Thursday, and if it happens again on the same road, same point, I'm going back home and getting the crowbar.

Know where I can find this magic cyanide?

No updates?
Obviously the crowbar wouldn`t have worked because it`s not a crow,it`s a seagull.....silly;)

Dai
01-08-2009, 16:12

You'd probably do better with a tennis raquet.

;)

More chance of an ace with a bigger bat.

SMG
01-08-2009, 19:34
Like I said, you cant beat a cricket bat. Next time your attacked, knock it for a six.