PDA

View Full Version : Help! Setting WEP password has messed up my imac network settings - how can I fix?

auntie_prawn
03-07-2009, 16:36
HI there -
I'm sure the answer to this is really simple (fingers crossed) but I'm total computer idiot, so I can't seem to figure it out on my own.

I have an imac connected to a wireless internet which had been working fine.

I wanted to use wireless on my work laptop, which is a PC. It was finding the network, but asking me for a WEP key.

I went onto the netgear site 192.168.1.1, used the Virgin password to login, and found the WEP key section which was blank. So I created one (why did I do that?!!!!). Since then my IMAC won't work. It finds the network but cna't get beyond the Airport Settings into the Network settings.

My laptop is still not doing wireless, but is at least working with the cable plugged into the back.

Obviously I would like to get back to the netgear page and reset the WEP key to blank, but the IMAC won't let me (cannot open the page because the server is not responding) and I can't get onto that page from my work laptop because of security restrictions.

Grateful for any ideas / solutions! Sorry if this is a no-brainer.

Thanks,
Lorna

danielf
03-07-2009, 16:42
Airport should ask you for the WEP password. Failing that, stick the network cable into your Imac.

You really should have security on your wireless network so your neighbours can't surf the web (and download dodgy stuff) on your connection. Generally, WPA is preferred to WEP, as WEP is easier to crack.

auntie_prawn
03-07-2009, 20:15
Thanks for this -
I've managed to connect by plugging the ethernet cable into the back and resetting the modem - but this set up won't allow me to open the netgear IP address.

Airport did ask me for the WEP password and I put in the one I created but it still didn't work. Is there any other way I can go back and change it?

Lorna

auntie_prawn
06-07-2009, 23:34
Just a note to say thanks for all your help on this. I eventually did a hard reset and then spent some time on the phone to Virgin media help getting the right password after the hard reset (preinstall).

Prawns