PDA

View Full Version : Do you still need ADSL filters?

amfuller
03-07-2009, 12:15
Hi there, All

I've cable broadband now; do I still need the ADSL filters on each phone socket?

Andrew

zing_deleted
03-07-2009, 12:18
no

shnookumshnum
05-07-2009, 09:49
Is this the same for a modem router too?
I am having frequent problems and virgin keep going on about these stupid filters, they are installed but do we still need them and why do we still need them?

raybo62
05-07-2009, 10:38
u dont use phone sockets for vm broadband

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

have u still got your ethernet plugged into the pc from the phone sockets ?

MovedGoalPosts
05-07-2009, 11:30
Broadband via cable, and broadband via BT type telephone line (ADSL) work entirely differently.

With Cable Broadband you have a coaxial type cable (looks rather like your TV aerial) plugged into the back of a Virgin Media supplied cable modem. If you need a router that then plugs into the modem.

With ADSL based broadband, the connection is via your telephone line. The signal for the phone, and signal for ADSL has to be separated by the ADSL filters or splitters. You can either have a single filter on your master phone socket, with all subsequent phone extensions plugged into the phone side of the filter and the ADSL modem plugged into the broadband side of that same filter. Alternatively, you must have a filter fitted on any of the phone sockets, master and extension, that you connect any phone or modem.

With cable, you cannot have a combined modem and router. With ADSL you can, and often do have a combined modem router. You will still need the ADSL filter arrangement outlined above.

Some people have found a more reliable ADSL broadband if their modem is connected to a filter on the master socket.

BexTech
12-07-2009, 23:17
Hi there, All

I've cable broadband now; do I still need the ADSL filters on each phone socket?

Andrew

If you have cable broadband, then it doesn't use the phone line, so the filters are not needed, cable broadband comes through the 'TV' co-ax.

cairou
30-07-2009, 02:53
not any more

Graham M
30-07-2009, 07:52
not any more

Err what exactly was that a response to?