PDA

View Full Version : Just got 50mbit and boy is it good.

|Kippa|
03-07-2009, 09:39
Blackpool went live a week ago ish. I booked straight away and am actually the first person to get it in this area. I had 2 techies one senior showing the other regular techy how to install and what to do which was fun to watch.

I did have 20mbit which was fluctuating constantly between 12mbit and 19mbit, and was a bit worried that the 50mbit might fluctate as well. Luckly when I got the 50mbit installed the download rate was a solid 6MB/s with no fluctation what so ever. Needles to say I am very very happy.

If you are on 20mbit or less and are not getting the full speed then you might want to consider upgrading to 50mbit.

Sirius
03-07-2009, 09:49
Blackpool went live a week ago ish. I booked straight away and am actually the first person to get it in this area. I had 2 techies one senior showing the other regular techy how to install and what to do which was fun to watch.

I did have 20mbit which was fluctuating constantly between 12mbit and 19mbit, and was a bit worried that the 50mbit might fluctate as well. Luckly when I got the 50mbit installed the download rate was a solid 6MB/s with no fluctation what so ever. Needles to say I am very very happy.

If you are on 20mbit or less and are not getting the full speed then you might want to consider upgrading to 50mbit.

Now waits for the doom and gloom boys to come along and say how bad it is, was, can be, wait till there is more on your area. :)

Enjoy it, I had 50 meg for a while and will be going back on it. It NEVER let me down.

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 10:17
Now waits for the doom and gloom boys to come along and say how bad it is, was, can be, wait till there is more on your area. :)

Enjoy it, I had 50 meg for a while and will be going back on it. It NEVER let me down.

You called? :p:

I see no real speed fluctuations apart from when it's having a packet loss fit but reliability thusfar has been garbage.

Upstream is actually annoying me more and more as time goes as well, 50Mbit's only real values are for leeching dodgy stuff which for me personally gets old really quickly and the slightly quicker upstream. I'll make a few enquiries today and see if I can find out what happened with the upstream increases that were on the table, would be a huge help with my home working and video conferencing.

Just my opinions, your mileage might vary, etc, but the product as it is remains a willy waver / warez pipe, and in my case a pretty unreliable one. I wouldn't be on it if I were paying for it.

*Makes phone call regarding DOCSIS 2.

HowardCanning
03-07-2009, 11:26
I'm with the OP, it's mental fast, who needs this much bandwidth, seriously? :D
Will see how it is over the next few weeks as I've only had it since Wednesday morning but it's been great so far, touch wood!

Speedtest.net is crap in my experience, try http://speedtest.bbmax.co.uk if you feel speedtest.net is giving you slow results.

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 11:52
I'm with the OP, it's mental fast, who needs this much bandwidth, seriously? :D

Indeed, I'd happily drop from 53/1.75 to 30/3 or pay 25% more for 50/5. 50Mbps downstream is fairly pointless at the moment with an upstream that low, a multiple PC home gets ground to a halt for a while through someone uploading.

I downloaded a 720MB file, this took about 2 minutes. After working on that file I uploaded it again which took over an hour during which time the connection was sluggish.

broadbandking
03-07-2009, 14:10
I am with Sirius on this one, I had it for a while and will get it back soon, when I had it I had no issues, the uploaded seemed fine for what I needed it for.

Sirius
03-07-2009, 14:55
Might i add that as i am not a torrents user i don't need the upload to be any higher. I don't have ratios to maintain

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 15:06
Might i add that as i am not a torrents user i don't need the upload to be any higher. I don't have ratios to maintain

Wait until you have a large file to work on and return. The download is great, the uploading back not so great :(

I don't download nearly enough to make ratios an issue even at 1.75M up.

While peeps may not 'need' the upload to be any higher you don't really 'need' 50Mbit download either, nice to have though isn't it?

Sirius
03-07-2009, 15:56
Wait until you have a large file to work on and return. The download is great, the uploading back not so great :(

I don't download nearly enough to make ratios an issue even at 1.75M up.

While peeps may not 'need' the upload to be any higher you don't really 'need' 50Mbit download either, nice to have though isn't it?

The reason i need 50 meg at the moment is because i dont like the stm. If or when 50meg gets Stm added i will move to 20 meg. Simple

sshan
03-07-2009, 19:50
all this take makes me wanna get the 50mb now lol, however i will wait some more time since i just upgraded to 20mb service.

does anyone know if they plaaning to traffic manage the 50mb? coz if they goona put traffic management on that too i rather not waste mt money on it.

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 20:56
The reason i need 50 meg at the moment is because i dont like the stm. If or when 50meg gets Stm added i will move to 20 meg. Simple

Minor issue of a 12 month contract on the 50 though.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

all this take makes me wanna get the 50mb now lol, however i will wait some more time since i just upgraded to 20mb service.

does anyone know if they plaaning to traffic manage the 50mb? coz if they goona put traffic management on that too i rather not waste mt money on it.

Apparently they are planning on managing it at some point though when is in the hands of the gods.

Pedro1
03-07-2009, 21:12
As far as i was aware it would only be extreme downloaders that would see a change.. Don't quote me though..

peanut
03-07-2009, 21:28
As far as i was aware it would only be extreme downloaders that would see a change.. Don't quote me though..

You're probably right, that'll be the top 5% again then.. :erm:

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 22:16

The same 'extreme downloaders' that get managed now? ;)

|Kippa|
04-07-2009, 07:36
It is really strange to have no traffic managment. It was late friday after noon and I was planning on downloading something worth a few gb and I thought to myself bah it is past 4pm and traffic management will kick in if I download now.... then I realised I had a 50mbit conneciton with no traffic management so I downloaded it. I have gotten so use to traffic management over the years that it has been ingraind in my behaviour NOT to download at certain times, and in big downloads had led to some late night / early morning downloads, the freedom to download whenever you want is so good.

As for downloads I have so far tested torrents and newsgroups, both of which max out at full 6MB/s. I was surprised that Astraweb which costs roughly £10 a month for unlimited downloads manages to max out my download rate to the max ALL of the time, and this is using encrypted SSL connections, excellent value for money all things considerd.

Sirius
04-07-2009, 08:35
Minor issue of a 12 month contract on the 50 though.

No issue at all ;)

Ignitionnet
04-07-2009, 08:41
No issue at all ;)

Not the case for the rest of us though :)