PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Wireless N Router for 50MB vs. DLink DIR-655

uniplan
02-07-2009, 22:20
Hi everyone,

I have a question as I have a big decision to make next week.

A VM engineer will turn up to install the 50MB service for me including the VM wireless router.

I have been using the DLink DIR-655 for over a year now on my 20MB service and I am very happy with it.

Do I keep my existing wireless router or replace it with the VM unit? I am not sure which is better.

Hiawatha
02-07-2009, 23:37
the one you get from VM is WGR614 , quite old Netgear router. Keep using your DIR-655

moaningmags
03-07-2009, 03:02
the one you get from VM is WGR614 , quite old Netgear router. Keep using your DIR-655

Wrong, the one he'll get is the Netgear WNR 2000 Wireless N Router.

KillswitchEdge
03-07-2009, 03:13
The DIR-655 is a great router though, I have to admit. I got one myself recently when my DGL-4100 died on me, though I just use it as a wired router right now as my house is already wired up.

Gigabit LAN and WAN ports, easy to setup and run, intelligent QoS, the router pretty much has it all. It still sells for around £80 too, so I can't honestly see the one VM are giving away with the 50mb connection as being better really.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-655

It's also got a list of accolades longer than my arm, so I doubt I'm the only one in love with this bit of kit ;)

uniplan
03-07-2009, 06:14
The DIR-655 is a great router though, I have to admit. I got one myself recently when my DGL-4100 died on me, though I just use it as a wired router right now as my house is already wired up.

Gigabit LAN and WAN ports, easy to setup and run, intelligent QoS, the router pretty much has it all. It still sells for around £80 too, so I can't honestly see the one VM are giving away with the 50mb connection as being better really.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-655

It's also got a list of accolades longer than my arm, so I doubt I'm the only one in love with this bit of kit ;)

This is exactly my thinking but I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some killer reason like faster speed or better reliability (even though my DIR-655 never goes down). In the world of Pre-N, you never know.

Thanks for all your replies. I will use the VM router as a fancy doorstop! :)

lsproc
03-07-2009, 07:41
you are going to get the netgear one for free iirc so try both :)

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 08:57
The Dlink is a superior router - only consider the Netgear if you find yourself using the Netgear 802.11N dongle and it not giving very good performance with the DIR.

broadbandking
03-07-2009, 13:11
Tbh I have always prefered DLink but the Netgear router has never let me down yet so I see no reason to change it.

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 13:13
Tbh I have always prefered DLink but the Netgear router has never let me down yet so I see no reason to change it.

Try stressing it, it turns into a competition of which can fail first, modem or router, and the Netgear is total arse at picking up the connection again if it drops, have to bounce its' WAN port.

broadbandking
03-07-2009, 13:48
I don't use my connection enough abit of downloading and online gaming if it did fall over just doing that I would get rid.

uniplan
03-07-2009, 16:38
The Dlink is a superior router - only consider the Netgear if you find yourself using the Netgear 802.11N dongle and it not giving very good performance with the DIR.

Thanks bbdings. I am happy to stick with it now.

Rik
03-07-2009, 22:12
Hi guys :D

Im also having 50Mb installed next week, im currently using a Linksys WRT54GL OS Router, I take it the Netgear wont be any better? and you dont have the option to flash the firmware on the Netgear?
Also im not bothered about N Wireless Speeds, G is fine for my web surfing on the netbook, the main pcs are wired.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

I have been using the DLink DIR-655 for over a year now on my 20MB service and I am very happy with it

Looks a very good router mate :)

Ignitionnet
03-07-2009, 22:14
All that crap in your PC and you have a 4 year old router :erm:

The Netgear will be much better than your Linksys WRT54GL.

Rik
03-07-2009, 22:26
All that crap in your PC and you have a 4 year old router :erm:

The Netgear will be much better than your Linksys WRT54GL.

I like my tomato firmware tho ;)
Whats the interface like on the Netgear and does it have good bandwidth monitoring tools and good QOS options?

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

All that crap in your PC

Quality components thank you very much! :p:

Zhadnost
04-07-2009, 10:32
I ilike the WRT54GL, If you're brave enough it can make a great little embedded system, (you can do a reasonable amount with a 200MHz MIPS R4k).

You can add an SD slot and glue a mailserver on it, or a download manager.

At least the WRT54GL is rock solid kit (mostly followed a Broadcom reference design).

Ignitionnet
04-07-2009, 11:17
Whats the interface like on the Netgear and does it have good bandwidth monitoring tools and good QOS options?

The interface is pants, it has no bandwidth monitoring tools and no QoS options worth the name. It's cheap crap as per with VM.

lsproc
05-07-2009, 12:00
Agreed, though I believe they are getting some success with DD-WRT support with it
with that said dont do it to the vm one :)