PDA

View Full Version : Address Misuse

Graham M
02-07-2009, 09:16
It seems someone has been misusing our address, first of all came completely innocent things, like vouchers for Pamper's Nappies - but now I'm wondering if someone has registered a birth here, anyway today came an offer to this unknown name (at this address) with an offer for credit, so I thought it would be a good idea to report it to the police, they unfortunately couldn't do much it seems to I have telephoned Provident (who we got the letter from today) and they couldn't give me any info but removed the name and the address from the contact list. Is there anything else I can do? The police suggested writing to the credit score agencies, Experian, Equifax and Call Credit, but is there anything they can do? They were more interested in the fact that I'd opened a letter that wasn't addressed to me (hang on it came through my door!)

Thanks
Graham

southwell
02-07-2009, 09:23
AFAIK you are not allowed to open mail not addressed to you, no matter if it comes to your house or not. You have to put 'not at this address' or similar and put it back in the mail/give it to your postie.

superbiatch
02-07-2009, 09:27
Has any of your credit been affected? You need to check.

I think you can put some kind of block on your credit status so that if you apply for credit its very difficult as they will ask you a whole lot of extra questions not normally required, might be an idea.

Graham M
02-07-2009, 09:29
I'd be v. worried if it were under my name, but it's not, so I'm not that worried just yet. It's not my name I'm worrying about being sullied, but the address

Wayfair
02-07-2009, 09:30
The first thing you need to do is check your credit report with http://www.creditexpert.co.uk/ just sign up for the free 30 days but in your case I would carry it on for a further 2 months minimum as things can take a few weeks to catch up.

The report will tell you a scary amount of details, how much you are allowed to borrow, how much you have borrowed, when you paid it off, people associated to your address, searches people / companies have done on you..

So get that sort, then you can plan your next move, this might just be someone filling in your address on stuff they have to provide an address for but don't want to use their own.

Paul
02-07-2009, 09:35
I'd be v. worried if it were under my name, but it's not, so I'm not that worried just yet. It's not my name I'm worrying about being sullied, but the address
Your address is also important as far as credit checks are concerned.

Aragorn
02-07-2009, 09:53
It could just be a simple typo! Anyone else in the street have a new baby?

Graham M
02-07-2009, 09:58
I've not noticed, it is quite a long road mind you

southwell
02-07-2009, 10:32
I use: http://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/

You don't have to enter your credit card and can refresh your details once a year.

punky
02-07-2009, 10:38
The thing you have to be careful of is County Court Judgements (CCJs). They are registered against addresses as well as people. My parents house got one (even though it was in a different name to them) and didn't even know. They only found out when they tried to get credit. They went somewhere (county court presumably) and got it removed.

AndyCambs
02-07-2009, 14:18
Is your house the beginning of the post-code area?
If it is, it could be that someone just picks your house as its at the top of the list when looking for insurance etc, but doesn't want to give their true address.

dave6x
02-07-2009, 14:53
I had problems a while back where one of the Post Code databases being used by credit agencies and auto-completion forms had the wrong address listed for my postcode. Many transactions are now linked to just a post code and a dwelling number.

Consequently my son was refused a contract for a mobile phone as the address and postcode didn't tally which was what first drew my attention to the problem.

I also had problems with mail going astray and being delivered to the other address, which was a flat in a block in the same road as my house that had the same number as my house. Unfortunately the mail delivered to the flat was never returned or forwarded. The Royal Mail post code checker showed the flat to have a different post code to my house, however the database being used by the credit agency was incorrect and showed my house listed with the same postcode as the flat.

I contacted the Post Office and they were very helpful in ensuring that my mail was checked for name and address.

The operators of the erroneous database were however much more difficult to deal with, and wanted payment to carry out checks for me! Well that was until I threatened to expose their shady dealings to the national press, naming the Sun as the highest circulation "news"paper, then miraculously the problem was solved instantly!!!