PDA

View Full Version : Virgin modem help wanted-long story

kidney777
01-07-2009, 15:30
hi there.
first of i am new to all this and when i mean i know very little, i mean it.
i had virgin internet and tv. virgin did not fit it from the main source, instead they split next door s. ran it along to my house and split it again(one for my tv and one for internet) along with nearly tearing down half my house, i refused to pay the bill, as the tv box did not work and i did not get and channels. virgin told me this about a week after fitting it. my net worked fine and has done for a year and a half. now it gone. i persume virgin have blocked my ambit modem.
as a single dad i am looking at saving when i can. i have the chance to buy a plug and play ambit modem.
or my friend is having virgin fitted, he lives about ten min s away. i no it sounds daft but could i use his virgin password to log on in my house.
would i need to get another modem or would my old one work.

just need some help...or any ideas.( which is the best of the above or any new ones)
no one be nasty please

raybo62
01-07-2009, 15:35
hi there.
first of i am new to all this and when i mean i know very little, i mean it.
i had virgin internet and tv. virgin did not fit it from the main source, instead they split next door s. ran it along to my house and split it again(one for my tv and one for internet) along with nearly tearing down half my house, i refused to pay the bill, as the tv box did not work and i did not get and channels. virgin told me this about a week after fitting it. my net worked fine and has done for a year and a half. now it gone. i persume virgin have blocked my ambit modem.
as a single dad i am looking at saving when i can. i have the chance to buy a plug and play ambit modem.
or my friend is having virgin fitted, he lives about ten min s away. i no it sounds daft but could i use his virgin password to log on in my house.
would i need to get another modem or would my old one work.

just need some help...or any ideas.( which is the best of the above or any new ones)
no one be nasty please
why did they run it from next doors cable if yours was damaged they should have had a new cable pulled i for you..why dont you request an engineer to sort out your problems

Chris
01-07-2009, 15:36
1. You can't attach anything to your cable except what Virgin provides you- it's against the terms of service.
2. If you no longer have an account with them, getting internet without paying for it is a criminal offence under the Fraud Act, for which you can get a large fine or a jail term.
3. If you just buy a modem and attach it to your cable, it won't work anyway, regardless of what password you try to use, as Virgin needs to send an authorising signal over the network to activate it. They will refuse to do this if you ask them.

Raistlin
01-07-2009, 15:36
The only way that you can legitimately obtain services from Virgin Media is to pay for them under contract to Virgin Media.

Any other mechanism that you might find (or think you may find) for obtaining those services would most certainly be illegal, and we won't allow discussions of that type here. It's also worth pointing out that the majority of modems for sale on sites like eBay are still technically owned by Virgin Media and therefore may be classed as 'stolen goods'.

fedupstill
01-07-2009, 17:36
not sure if its changed now its virgin media but the old telewest terms allow you to share your connection as long as the account holder gives permission so ask and if they agree then you have free internet :)

Chris
01-07-2009, 17:38
Err ... no, that condition is to allow you to share a wireless signal, not to attempt to use someone else's password on your own cable connection.

As several people have now stated, there is no way you can legally attach any modem to the cable in your house unless 1. Virgin supplied it; 2. Virgin authorised it and 3. You are paying Virgin for the service.

TightNewCustomer
01-07-2009, 23:08
Stop being tight and pay for it like everyone else! You're even more tight than me. If you really can't pay, use the library, or if you have notebook, stand outside McDonalds and use their free internet :-)