PDA

View Full Version : My cat is dead :(

Pia
30-06-2009, 08:15
He was fine last night. He's only 4 i've had him since he was 8 weeks old, he's active and sweet and lovely and this morning he woke us up at 5am howling in my son's bedroom where he'd been sleeping. He had lost the use of his back legs - we thought he must have feel awkwardly and broken or dislocated his leg or even hips.

Anyway i rang the PDSA emergency number and we had to drive to Middlesbrough. Doctor said he was paralysed and it was either:

Blood clot in the back legs caused by heart disease (saddle thrombus); or a slipped disc in his back.
It's almost definite that it was saddle thrombus, he had no pulse in his back legs, he was in a lot of pain, howling and trying to drag his body around by his front legs.

It's so sudden, i thought he'd live til he was about 15, he sleeps with my other cat, keeps my puppy in check, cleans the other cat's ears every night. I am so heartbroken and don't know what to do :( :(

I have no idea how to tell my 6yo son, he was his cat, he slept on his bed every night for 4 years and they were best mates. He was taken to school by my mother this morning and knows nothing, just that he had poorly legs??

He was honestly the sweetest cat you could ever meet, he would play with the kids outside and everyone who passed by would stop to stroke him. He's well known in the area just for being so lovely and he's gone, just like that.
I never thought this would happen to us. I've never even heard of it happening. I keep thinking what if he'd gone out last night?? He'd never have come back and would have died alone and wouldn't have been able to get home. I'm so glad he was in the house all night. But i would never expect this in a million years. It hurts so much :(

:( :( :(

Pics i've posted: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33607193-cat-vs-dog-how-make-them-page-5.html#post34213865
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/24/33606950-keeping-your-pussy-clean-page-3.html#post34209054
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33607193-cat-vs-dog-how-make-them-page-6.html#post34214116

Raistlin
30-06-2009, 08:18
So sorry to hear that :( :hugs:

dilli-theclaw
30-06-2009, 08:22
Sorry to hear that indeed :(

Maggy
30-06-2009, 08:27
I have no idea how to tell my 6yo son, he was his cat, he slept on his bed every night for 4 years and they were best mates. He was taken to school by my mother this morning and knows nothing, just that he had poorly legs??

The death of a pet is often the first experience the young have of confronting death and luckily your son has a smart mum who can use this to try and explain the cycle of life and death..

Just explain that every living thing eventually dies and that every living thing has a life span.His cat had just reached the end of his and that if he had lived on he would have been in too much pain...I'm sure you get the idea.

A funeral/memorial in the garden helps...well it did with my two kids.

The Hitman
30-06-2009, 08:46
Sorry to hear about the sad loss :shocked:

Hugh
30-06-2009, 08:48
Awwww, Pia - so sorry to hear your sad news.

superbiatch
30-06-2009, 09:02
Sorry to hear about your cat Pia, not sure how best to break it to your little one but I was cut up after my cat died suddenly. RIP Purry cat :(

Paul
30-06-2009, 09:13
Awwwww, sorry to hear Pia :(

zing_deleted
30-06-2009, 09:14
sorry for your loss Pia :(

I dunno the details of this case but upon googeling cats have been presented to vets with this in this condition and it has been treated. I am a bit concerned that perhaps the PDSA vet did not offer treatment because he/she was a PDSA vet and the costs would have been high for the charity. I thought about this when I had Darla a decided to take out pet insurance just in case this happens

I apoligise if perhaps I should not have posted that but I think it may be something pet owners need to consider :(

joglynne
30-06-2009, 09:43
So sorry Pia. :hugs:

Roseblue
30-06-2009, 10:32
Pia,

I'm sorry for your loss.
I feel for you all.

Dai
30-06-2009, 10:42
He was fine last night. He's only 4 i've had him since he was 8 weeks old, he's active and sweet and lovely and this morning he woke us up at 5am howling in my son's bedroom where he'd been sleeping. He had lost the use of his back legs - we thought he must have feel awkwardly and broken or dislocated his leg or even hips.

What an awful shock, and so young too.
I've outlived three of my cats now and it never gets any easier.

So sorry for your loss.

liamboyle06
30-06-2009, 10:48
sorry to hear that, I remember when my old faithful dog passed away, truly heart breaking.

Pia
30-06-2009, 12:15
Thanks Maggy, he does have some concept of death already but we've never had to face it, apart from a goldfish, which i never really explained i just said it was old and flushed it down the loo.
I'm sure he will be fine but we haven't got the ashes or body (it would have cost too much money - how bad is that of me??) Tbh i find the whole keeping the body thing a bit morbid and left the room when they euthanised him.

Zing don't worry i was thinking the exact same thing, and almost blurted that i wanted a second opinion. Thing is he was so professional and was a senior vet surgeon so i didn't. I knew he was right :(
I've also done some extensive googling on the condition and came across a website that said it can be treated, but he did explain this to us - and also said it would cost a four figure sum and it's highly likely he'd never regain the use of his back legs. I was worried i'd done the wrong thing in letting him go, that's been my main upset - but after doing more research into it i do think his prognosis was very weak, and the treatment is very painful for him.
:(

moiraf100
30-06-2009, 12:28
Oh Pia, that is so sad (((xx)))

moaningmags
30-06-2009, 12:34
Sorry for your loss :(:hugs:

icestar2
30-06-2009, 12:36
Sorry to hear about your cat Pia. Am sure your other pets will be a bit of a consolation at this time.

lauzjp
30-06-2009, 12:37
Sorry to hear that Pia, you totally did the right thing. Perhaps Cameron could put a special plant or flower in the garden as a memorial? Keep it in a pot so other pets can't dig it up ;)

Stephen
30-06-2009, 14:03
Awww Pia, thats so sad :( I've only had my cats a few weeks but would be devastated to lose either of them.

wigro
30-06-2009, 14:25
Sorry to hear your sad news Pia :(

Mick Fisher
30-06-2009, 14:35
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Pia. :(

SMG
30-06-2009, 14:53
Deepest sympathies Pia, cats bring so much love & affection.:sorry:

Pia
30-06-2009, 15:39
First thing my lad said "is Barney alright?" I just said "no" and choked.

The my OH stepped in and explained what happened and that he is better now in heaven with all the cats and dogs etc. He's very inquisitive, didn't believe us at first when we said he was happy where he is now, and he said "how can he when he's dead" and "so why is he buried in the ground". I didn't realise how hard it was to explain that to a kid! :(

Sirius
30-06-2009, 15:42

Anyway i rang the PDSA emergency number and we had to drive to Middlesbrough. Doctor said he was paralysed and it was either:

Blood clot in the back legs caused by heart disease (saddle thrombus); or a slipped disc in his back.
It's almost definite that it was saddle thrombus, he had no pulse in his back legs, he was in a lot of pain, howling and trying to drag his body around by his front legs.

It's so sudden, i thought he'd live til he was about 15, he sleeps with my other cat, keeps my puppy in check, cleans the other cat's ears every night. I am so heartbroken and don't know what to do :( :(

He was honestly the sweetest cat you could ever meet, he would play with the kids outside and everyone who passed by would stop to stroke him. He's well known in the area just for being so lovely and he's gone, just like that.
I never thought this would happen to us. I've never even heard of it happening. I keep thinking what if he'd gone out last night?? He'd never have come back and would have died alone and wouldn't have been able to get home. I'm so glad he was in the house all night. But i would never expect this in a million years. It hurts so much :(

Pics i've posted: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33607193-cat-vs-dog-how-make-them-page-5.html#post34213865
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/24/33606950-keeping-your-pussy-clean-page-3.html#post34209054
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33607193-cat-vs-dog-how-make-them-page-6.html#post34214116

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Maggy
30-06-2009, 15:51
First thing my lad said "is Barney alright?" I just said "no" and choked.

The my OH stepped in and explained what happened and that he is better now in heaven with all the cats and dogs etc. He's very inquisitive, didn't believe us at first when we said he was happy where he is now, and he said "how can he when he's dead" and "so why is he buried in the ground". I didn't realise how hard it was to explain that to a kid! :(

The thing is that he understands that animals die..it's when he twigs that people die that he might have some qualms about the people close to him dyeing. :erm:

Pia
30-06-2009, 16:10
Well we did tell him that sometimes people die too, and he doesn't think it's just old people because our next door neighbour who is my age has terminal cancer :( and he plays with her daughter outside who has told the other kids her mummy is dying.

It makes me feel selfish being so upset about Barney knowing what's going on just next door, but doesn't stop it hurting. He just keeps saying "i miss Barney" i said i'd get him a picture so he can keep it in his room, and that Barney told me to give him loads of kisses from him which made him smile.

My OH has taken him out on a bike ride to keep things normal, they're both definitely handling it better than me!!

Dude111
30-06-2009, 16:11
Doctor said he was paralysed and it was either:

Blood clot in the back legs caused by heart disease (saddle thrombus); or a slipped disc in his back.My greyhound also had a blood clot near her back legs a few years ago and we took her to the vet and they gave her some shot to loosen the clot and when they did,it went to her heart and she passed away :(

She had been outside running round and all of a sudden she fell down and started crying.....

Very,very sad.........

I broke into tears when i saw the pictures of your kitty,i am so sorry....... https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/3.jpg

We love them so much and when they are gone it hurts more than anyone can understand!!

God bless you my friend http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/435/grouphugym7.gif

tweetypie/8
30-06-2009, 17:48

sorry to hear that pia.

rogerdraig
30-06-2009, 18:24
sorry for your loss Pia :(

I dunno the details of this case but upon googeling cats have been presented to vets with this in this condition and it has been treated. I am a bit concerned that perhaps the PDSA vet did not offer treatment because he/she was a PDSA vet and the costs would have been high for the charity. I thought about this when I had Darla a decided to take out pet insurance just in case this happens

I apoligise if perhaps I should not have posted that but I think it may be something pet owners need to consider :(

i would say that in most cases its one that shouldn't be treated the cat can be in ex stream pain and convalescence can be long and continually painful and cats tend to be worse at enforced rest than say dogs

i had to take my sister in laws cat to vet in the night a few years back with this very same problem and had to take the same decision

i have nursed a few cats through illnesses but none of them were in any or much pain while convalescing and they were still hard work to keep them safe from themselves

just because some vets will treat doesn't always make it a good option

lol ( sorry no its a sad thread ) but my latest addition to family lucky the one eyed cat just jumped back on me ( found him on the side of road after some **** bag hit him and didn't even stop to check ) and reminded me to say remember the good times with them lost a few early to myself it is hard still miss them often but know we always made the decision that was best for them where we had to decide and that the vets will rearly tell you to put down an animal that can be saved but will where doing so would cause too much pain for it and take comfort from that.

SnoopZ
30-06-2009, 18:46
So sorry Pia. :(

peanut
30-06-2009, 19:36
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. :(

LSainsbury
30-06-2009, 20:30
I'm sure he will be fine but we haven't got the ashes or body (it would have cost too much money - how bad is that of me??) Tbh i find the whole keeping the body thing a bit morbid and left the room when they euthanised him.

My other half has got the ashes of her springer spaniel in a box. He's on the bedroom windowsill and looks over her (us) everynight. :)

Tezcatlipoca
30-06-2009, 20:32
Sorry about your cat, Pia :(

idi banashapan
30-06-2009, 20:40
no point hiding the truth from your son - tell him how it is. kids are more switched on than most people give them credit for. he'll apreciate being to the truth and the facts of life (and death) rather than some namby-pamby story (not unlike the whole 'birds and bees' thing or getting babies from the hospital). be honest and upfront always with children.

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

My other half has got the ashes of her springer spaniel in a box. He's on the bedroom windowsill and looks over her (us) everynight. :)

that's just.... weird!!!

homealone
30-06-2009, 20:59
so sad to hear about your cat, Pia :(

Pia
30-06-2009, 21:21
Lee i don't think that would be a comfort to me, i think i have to distance myself, and not bringing him home definitely helped.

Son played out tonight and came in very teary eyed which broke my heart. His friends had been talking to him about Barney and the older kids had been really good and told him not to worry etc but it did upset him :(

Bender, i did tell him in simple-ish terms what actually happened, which sort of went like this "you know how your blood is liquid? Well he had a lump in his blood and it got stuck in his veins and meant he couldn't use his legs anymore and the vet couldn't make it better because he had a poorly heart, but he's having fun in heaven etc etc"

He's definitely screwed on and i think he's got a good practical understanding of what happened, and as i'm pregnant he hasn't yet asked how it got there - i guess that's thenext thing to tackle but i plan to be honest and matter of fact about it, rather than tell him a load of rubbish about a stork etc.
I also plan to tell him how the baby will come out if and when he asks, i'm sure he'll have a good giggle about it when he learns that one!!

idi banashapan
30-06-2009, 22:04
Bender, i did tell him in simple-ish terms what actually happened, which sort of went like this "you know how your blood is liquid? Well he had a lump in his blood and it got stuck in his veins and meant he couldn't use his legs anymore and the vet couldn't make it better because he had a poorly heart, but he's having fun in heaven etc etc"

spot on. let him deal with the loss now before (like many people do) buying a replacement. personally, I think replacements are a bad thing as it numbs the whole deal of losing something or someone close to you. it's important to deal with these emotions, especially for children. let him cry if he needs to and talk about it if he wants. hidding from it or dodging the pain with replacements is not good prep for when an irreplaceable loved one dies.

TheDaddy
30-06-2009, 23:04
So sorry to hear that :( :hugs:

Yeah me to :(

roger_chef
30-06-2009, 23:53
god, we've recent got a cat. I hope it goes as well as it can for u. Buy him a new one :) Know that sounds a bit nasty but im sure it will help? a nice new kitten?

brundles
30-06-2009, 23:55
Sorry to read about your cat Pia :(. Having 6 of them (that's after the ex having taken 4!) and lost one in the middle I know how you feel.

It may not help much, but from what I've seen poking around on the description from your post, IMO you did the right thing for the poor little trouble maker. I'm a firm believer in quality of life over length of life and I'm not convinced that the sort of life your cat may have had if treated would have been worth the length he might have had :(.

cleshe
01-07-2009, 00:21
I too am sorry for your loss.
I'm unsure if my cat is dead or not.
18 years ago he walked into our lives, he was a grown cat then.Three weeks ago, he walked out again.He woke me at 1am , requesting I let him out.I've never seen him since.
He had been very frail of late.I am still devastated at his loss. I have done all I can to try to find out what has happened to him , to no avail.

frogstamper
01-07-2009, 00:41
You and your son have my sympathies Pia, losing a much loved family pet is always hard, they truly are members of the family.

rogerdraig
01-07-2009, 00:42
Sorry to read about your cat Pia :(. Having 6 of them (that's after the ex having taken 4!) and lost one in the middle I know how you feel.

It may not help much, but from what I've seen poking around on the description from your post, IMO you did the right thing for the poor little trouble maker. I'm a firm believer in quality of life over length of life and I'm not convinced that the sort of life your cat may have had if treated would have been worth the length he might have had :(.

exactly

Pia
01-07-2009, 09:00
Thanks brundles, and everyone else.

He said this morning that he dreamt about Barney last night, he said he was snuggling into him and he was still alive :( :cry:.

My other cat is sleeping in her usual place right now and has left a space next to her where Barney would normally be, if he was just outside she'd be stretched out taking all the room til he came and shoved her along. I gave her the blanket we took him to the vets on. She also slept with my son last night which she never ever did before, only Barney ever did that.
So i think she knows too :(

Graham M
01-07-2009, 09:27
Cats are pretty empathic like that, my friend had 16 or so cats and 1 by 1 a few of them have gotten old and died, each time 1 died, the rest "knew", they behaved differently and you could tell, even though they might not normally see the cat who had died for days

Stuart
01-07-2009, 10:54
Well we did tell him that sometimes people die too, and he doesn't think it's just old people because our next door neighbour who is my age has terminal cancer :( and he plays with her daughter outside who has told the other kids her mummy is dying.

It makes me feel selfish being so upset about Barney knowing what's going on just next door, but doesn't stop it hurting. He just keeps saying "i miss Barney" i said i'd get him a picture so he can keep it in his room, and that Barney told me to give him loads of kisses from him which made him smile.

My OH has taken him out on a bike ride to keep things normal, they're both definitely handling it better than me!!

It's not selfish at all. OK, on the face of things, a pet dying isn't as important as a person. But, in my experience, pets become part of the family as much as any human, and I have been upset at my pets dying just as much as any relative dying.

The ashes of our first two yorkies (along with my old cuddly snoopy toy that one of our yorkies sort of adopted) were buried under the bush in the garden that they used to hoard things under that they apparently didn't think we knew about.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Cats are pretty empathic like that, my friend had 16 or so cats and 1 by 1 a few of them have gotten old and died, each time 1 died, the rest "knew", they behaved differently and you could tell, even though they might not normally see the cat who had died for days

I didn't see this (I was at work), but apparently when my first dog (an Airedale) died, a similar thing happened.

She'd been ill for a couple of days before and was 13 (very old for a big dog). So, my mum had called the vet. He came round and my mum locked our two yorkies (the ones I mention above) in different rooms (they had a tendency to fight if left locked in a room together).

They both started howling. The vet did some tests, and told my mum and dad that the dog was unlikely to get better and was in lot of pain, so he recommended that she be put down. My parents agreed so he did. At that exact second both Yorkies fell silent.

Dude111
01-07-2009, 13:07
He had been very frail of late.I am still devastated at his loss. I have done all I can to try to find out what has happened to him , to no avail.Ahhhhhhhh im so sorry :(

I will pray you find out what happend :)

Peace and love to you!

Halcyon
01-07-2009, 20:53
Only just reading this topic now but I'm really sorry to hear the news Pia.
It looks like you and your son were very close to the cat.
I wish you all the best.

:ghugs:

Scrubbs
01-07-2009, 21:19
A phone call to the cat protection league for another cat maybe? your other cat might be missing it's friend or is it too early?

Tinky
02-07-2009, 07:27
Sorry to hear about your little cat Pia.:(

lauzjp
02-07-2009, 16:00
I too am sorry for your loss.
I'm unsure if my cat is dead or not.
18 years ago he walked into our lives, he was a grown cat then.Three weeks ago, he walked out again.He woke me at 1am , requesting I let him out.I've never seen him since.
He had been very frail of late.I am still devastated at his loss. I have done all I can to try to find out what has happened to him , to no avail.

As we cat 'owners' know - cats are their own masters, but being so elderly it sounds like your cat has chosen to depart us. :hugs: Cats often 'run away' to die - perhaps they don't want to put us through the sad goodbyes. I've had a couple of cats that have done this. My first ever cat tried to, but after days of searching I spotted him, and brought him home. I must've been about 7 or 8 - I didn't want to let him go. :(

And Pia, although you're probably not considering it /yet - I'm sure I don't have to tell you - you'd have to be really careful bringing another pet into the house 1) with other pets, 2) with a child, and 3) a baby!

ps Have you thought about photobox /bonusprint etc. and getting a nice big poster of the late puss?

rogerdraig
02-07-2009, 16:15
i dont think other than the dogs are never completely safe issue i have posted on before ;) there is any real risk in bringing in a new pet especially a cat

lol we had two new puppies at the same time my first child came along the only issue was that it was hard work ;) lol

Mick
03-07-2009, 19:57
Sorry for your loss Pia.

I had to have my cat, Pepsi, put to sleep been over 2 years ago now, she was having issues with her bowels. When I took her to the vets, got told she had Bowel Cancer, they offered treatment but they said because of her age, she wouldn't make it past the operation and that she would suffer and I had noticed over the last day of her life she had gone considerably weaker. She died on May 1st 2007. She slept at the end of my bed for a long time. She was 16 when she was put down.

Have 5 other cats now and the eldest now is about 17, he is looking very old indeed, can't jump great heights, so we made wooden stairs so he can still venture out on the wall and sleep on the roof when the sun is out. He doesn't go far, just likes to be able to follow the younger cats.

Central
03-07-2009, 20:15
So so sorry to hear this. I am dreading losing my dog one day.

I know I am late coming into this thread and I hope you and your son and the others cats are coping