PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Virgin Cable Modem

badhairday
29-06-2009, 23:48
I have the cable modem supplied with my package for 20meg and as you know it has only one ethernet port.
I need a cable modem that works with VM but has at least two ports!
Can anyone suggest one?

I ask because my wireless router is in the middle of the house(connected to the Modem via ethernet cable) but my shiny new PS3 is in the lounge(near modem) and gets a poor wireless service.
I can't move either so I thought of connecting the PS3 via ethernet to the modem but alas it has only one socket boo hoo sob sob cry cry!!

So I hope you guys and gals may have a solution:))

Running a cable to the router too, is not an option sadly.

Chris
29-06-2009, 23:51
You can't attach a non-Virgin modem to your cable. It won't work and is disallowed by the terms and conditions of your contract with them.

Ben B
29-06-2009, 23:53
Possibly an additional wired router next to the modem?

graf_von_anonym
29-06-2009, 23:56
I would be amazed if the wireless router didn't have four ethernet ports on the back of it. I cannot say I've encountered any not intended for ADSL that didn't.

Ben B
30-06-2009, 00:00
I would be amazed if the wireless router didn't have four ethernet ports on the back of it. I cannot say I've encountered any not intended for ADSL that didn't.

Already stated they cannot do that...

Running a cable to the router too, is not an option sadly.

Barton71
30-06-2009, 00:02
If the modem is next to the router, then why is it ok to run a cable to the modem, but not the router?

Ben B
30-06-2009, 00:06
my wireless router is in the middle of the house(connected to the Modem via ethernet cable) but my shiny new PS3 is in the lounge(near modem) and gets a poor wireless service

moaningmags
30-06-2009, 00:07
Move the router into the same room as the modem or buy a better router?

Ben B
30-06-2009, 00:27
Wired router, gives you 4 ports to plug stuff into, wireless router into one and PS3 into the other http://www.ebuyer.com/product/35433

Bonglet
30-06-2009, 00:31
Or you could buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?tag=citofgamonlco-20

badhairday
30-06-2009, 08:45
Wired router, gives you 4 ports to plug stuff into, wireless router into one and PS3 into the other http://www.ebuyer.com/product/35433

So I could have the set up like this------

VM Modem > e/net wired router > e/net to PS3 > e/net to Wireles router ?

MovedGoalPosts
30-06-2009, 09:30
Yes, but you will need to do some fiddling with the setup on the wireless router to ensure it uses the IP addresses issued by the wired router, and doesn't allocate IP addresses of it's own.

badhairday
30-06-2009, 15:49
Thanks Rob I will give that a try and Bonglet that sounds interesting too, and thanks everyone else for your help...Be Well

ShadowTD
30-06-2009, 16:00
I'd second bonglet's suggestion of homeplugs. I'd also say that unless you're a bit good with networking (no offense, but it doesn't sound like you are!) then trying to configure one of the routers to act as a wireless bridge might be a bit beyond you.

badhairday
30-06-2009, 22:06
Your probably right ShadowTD,keep it simple.

With the homeplug system would it be VM modem >homeplug>house wiring>homeplug with w/less router and another homeplug for the PS3?

Ben B
30-06-2009, 22:14
OR VM Modem to router > Router to homeplug > homeplug to PS3

roger_chef
30-06-2009, 22:27
or buy a cat5e splitter? cost probably 3-4quid?

graf_von_anonym
01-07-2009, 19:57
I've never encountered a Homeplug system that worked properly. You can pick up a TP-link wireless router with four ethernet ports on the back of it for less than £20. I wouldn't bother with daisychaining routers or adding switches or switching to a different (and unreliable) transmission method, when there's a straightforward solution.

If you can't connect to your wireless router by ethernet, you need a new wireless router. It's honestly only got a DSL port on the back? The others aren't covered by a sticker or something?

zing_deleted
01-07-2009, 20:00
all you need to do is switch dhcp off on the second router and set its internal ip to one different to first router and outside dhcp ip range and of course use a patch able if one of the routers has uplink or crossover if neither has

AndyCambs
01-07-2009, 20:21
OR VM Modem to router > Router to homeplug > homeplug to PS3

That was going to be my suggestion - I have a wireless router, and one of the ports on the router feeds to the homeplug, and then another computers takes the broadband from that rather than wirelessly.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

I've never encountered a Homeplug system that worked properly. You can pick up a TP-link wireless router with four ethernet ports on the back of it for less than £20. I wouldn't bother with daisychaining routers or adding switches or switching to a different (and unreliable) transmission method, when there's a straightforward solution.

If you can't connect to your wireless router by ethernet, you need a new wireless router. It's honestly only got a DSL port on the back? The others aren't covered by a sticker or something?

PC World and Maplin both have Devolo High Speed home plugs on offer
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48539
Mine worked straight out the box.

TightNewCustomer
02-07-2009, 00:09
why not a wireless extender?

badhairday
02-07-2009, 00:30
Maybe I should give more details.
My PS3 is in the lounge under the TV. A few feet away is the VM modem with its one ethernet socket, which is attached via ethernet cable to the w/less router 8 metres away. I have the router there so its centralised for the whole flat. It needs to stay there.
I know I could run another cable to the router for the PS3 but want to avoid that!
The idea is to make use of the 20meg Beardie has given me:))
That is my situation:)

I have another thought I would like to put into the mix. I have a netgear w/less G router 614v9 and two belkin modem/routers that I have collected of the years and wondered if they would be of any use. I know the Belkins can't be used as a bridge with my Belkin N1 w/less router.
Is it theoretically possible to use the netgear for example? Disconnect the wireless part and do as Zing suggested?
I do appreciate all your ideas, thank you.

AndyCambs
02-07-2009, 05:30
Maybe I should give more details.
My PS3 is in the lounge under the TV. A few feet away is the VM modem with its one ethernet socket, which is attached via ethernet cable to the w/less router 8 metres away. I have the router there so its centralised for the whole flat. It needs to stay there.
I know I could run another cable to the router for the PS3 but want to avoid that!
The idea is to make use of the 20meg Beardie has given me:))
That is my situation:)

Homeplug will give you upto 85Mb

savenosouls
02-07-2009, 08:48
Your probably right ShadowTD,keep it simple.

With the homeplug system would it be VM modem >homeplug>house wiring>homeplug with w/less router and another homeplug for the PS3?

I would fire a warning about the above - I am not sure that this would work, if you want to connect the PS3 via home plug you will need another to take the signal to the PS3

I have a similar setup, it is as follows:-

VM Modem > Home Plug > house wiring Home Plug w/less router

The W/less router is then attatched to another homeplug > house wiring > home plug.

I did try it with 3 - but it does not configure the IP addresses correctly, also I use netgear HDx101 and "pair" the homeplug so they only talk to one another

graf_von_anonym
02-07-2009, 14:31
The idea is to make use of the 20meg Beardie has given me

Honestly? Don't make life complicated for yourself. Just run another cable back from the router. Your PS3 will get its fair share. You'll maybe get a little bit of loss through the router, but not enough to worry about. It might not be the prettiest of solutions, but it is the least complicated. Remember that you can run Cat5e 100 metres without too much trouble, so getting a length that you can tuck up and run along the skirting board shouldn't be a difficulty.

While another cable might be untidy, it'll cost you a fiver, maybe, and it will work. Every other option discussed her will cost you loads more, and will introduce complications. Daisychaining routers and switches just introduces more points of failure.

badhairday
02-07-2009, 20:33
20 metres of cable lots of cable clips and two bruised thumbs but I guess graf is right ....sigh...but....but TECH we love the TECH we have to have it even if it does not work too well ITS TECH DAMN IT!!!!!!!

Gun to head??? Cable makes more sense, and if it does not work I can always come back here and slag graf off hahahahahaha. Thanks Peeps...Ebay here I come

Stuart
02-07-2009, 21:32
or buy a cat5e splitter? cost probably 3-4quid?

Actually, you'd need two and (assuming you don't want to rewire the the ethernet cable) and two gender changers (sockets at both ends).

Due to the way splitters work, though, the maximum bandwidth available will be 10Mbit.

musicbravo
02-07-2009, 22:28
How about moving the wireless router and attaching a directional aerial. This should propagate the wireless signal across the rest of the flat (Abait in one direction although i'm guessing cable modem is close to the (outer wall). Out of interest is it a single floor flat?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Reverse-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000TV66WQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246569948&sr=1-11 - directional anttena

badhairday
02-07-2009, 22:52
yes ground floor flat and the router is in the middle so I can use my laptop in the lounge or garden, yes I know...so decadent...LOL

graf_von_anonym
03-07-2009, 00:24
If you're a technical boy, go crude; if you're a crude boy, go technical.

raybo62
03-07-2009, 09:50
You can only use a modem supplied by vm sorry so the only way round it is a router and hard wire it

badhairday
03-07-2009, 19:55
thx Ray but that was page one...sooooo last year....LOL

raybo62
03-07-2009, 20:37
sorry wasnt looking