PDA

View Full Version : House renovations means I've lost my phone line

howden
29-06-2009, 14:31
Hi all - due to work to the front of my house my phone line coming through to my kitchen (where the socket is) has been cut. It needed doing due to the building work

Will Virgin charge to pop along and reconnect me? I've been a customer for a few years

Thanks

Graham M
29-06-2009, 14:33
Yep, I think you will be looking at paying £99 to get it reconnected, you could always try playing the "I'll leave unless you do it for free" card - but it might not work - If you do have to pay, the person who cut the wire should be paying for it

Peter_
29-06-2009, 14:34
Just call Tech Support and tell them it was done by accident and let the engineer decide what needs doing when he comes out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

howden
V quick Graham - will try that after the dust has settled (!)

My V+/DTV and BB seem unaffected

Thanks Moldova - v useful

Peter_
Yep, I think you will be looking at paying £99 to get it reconnected, you could always try playing the "I'll leave unless you do it for free" card - but it might not work - If you do have to pay, the person who cut the wire should be paying for it
I have chopped my cable twice and was never charged for it.

moaningmags
29-06-2009, 14:39
Hubby cut ours when strimming the garden, wasn't charged for the fix.

Graham M
29-06-2009, 14:54
Fair enough, looks like those who I've seen have been, have just been unlucky ;)

howden
29-06-2009, 14:59
Good to have some background before making the call

So it seems like if its an accident there might not be a charge - out of interest has anyone had any luck getting VM to reconnect if the wall that your phone socket is on is being knocked down !?

moaningmags
29-06-2009, 15:07
Graham might be right howden, particularly if the wall it was attached to is no longer there, can't claim accident when you've pulled down a wall.

howden
29-06-2009, 15:13
OK - I won't do that then ! but the renovation work at the front of the house was an accidental chop

Peter_
29-06-2009, 15:51
Good to have some background before making the call

So it seems like if its an accident there might not be a charge - out of interest has anyone had any luck getting VM to reconnect if the wall that your phone socket is on is being knocked down !?
The first occasion was a spade and my cable had not been buried deep enough or in the green protective sheilding.

The second occasion was when I had my front garden wall knocked down and it turned out the engineer had gone through the wall so when the wall came down all services were lost and I required a construction team and a repull all with no charges to myself.

howden
10-07-2009, 14:24
Ok - so I called up and said it was an accident when some building work was being done at the front of the house. The engineer is coming next week - so will see what the verdict is

One thing that puzzled me was that the CSR said that I should only have 2 cables coming into my house (and that serves my phone, bb and TV) - is that right? as I still have 2 undamaged brown cables coming into my house - and both my bb and TV are fine...

The one that was cut by accident was a black cable...would the engineer have used some BT or other cabling when getting me set up on my VM phone connection?

Peter_
10-07-2009, 20:28
Ok - so I called up and said it was an accident when some building work was being done at the front of the house. The engineer is coming next week - so will see what the verdict is

One thing that puzzled me was that the CSR said that I should only have 2 cables coming into my house (and that serves my phone, bb and TV) - is that right? as I still have 2 undamaged brown cables coming into my house - and both my bb and TV are fine...

The one that was cut by accident was a black cable...would the engineer have used some BT or other cabling when getting me set up on my VM phone connection?
Best to wait for the engineer to find the fault, they will not have used a BT connection as they use different voltages.

xocemp
10-07-2009, 21:05
Rubbish, techs are known to ask if you wish to have your old BT line/extensions connected.

Peter_
10-07-2009, 22:48
Rubbish, techs are known to ask if you wish to have your old BT line/extensions connected.
I did not say extensions which are fine but the install guys on here say often enough that you cannot use the BT line itself not me.

As per this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/59/33650649-using-existing-bt-sockets-with-virgin.html