PDA

View Full Version : Gaming with VM

CableNutter
28-06-2009, 21:47
I have several questions and hope that someone may be able to help me.
Firstly i am an avid gamer and i need all the bandwidth i can get, that being said when i host games over Xbox Live it is terribly laggy for everyone else (the clients) except me.
I can't seem to pinpoint the problem as i get consistent 19meg down and 0.7 meg up which should be ample bandwidth to support atleast 4 players (it lags with 4)

Could a congested UBR cause this problem (i have tried every other solution from my side of the network) and would getting 50 meg relieve the problem (being on DOCSIS3)

Ben B
29-06-2009, 00:27
50meg wouldn't relieve it for the DOCSIS3 reason cause 20meg has been switched to DOCSIS3 if 50meg is in your area, though the faster upload reason may fix the problem.

EDIT: If you were on a congested UBR you wouldn't get your full download speed

Jonathan90
29-06-2009, 04:24
I thought Xbox hosted servers for you that why you pay a premium? wow that seriosuly sucks lol PS3 users get it free.

back on topic its not a congested UBR as you get full whack try with 2 ( forgot to mention is it over wireless?) if it is try wired approach and see how you get on thats if xbox can do wired not to sure tbh.

cimt
29-06-2009, 05:23
I thought Xbox hosted servers for you that why you pay a premium? wow that seriosuly sucks lol PS3 users get it free.

back on topic its not a congested UBR as you get full whack try with 2 ( forgot to mention is it over wireless?) if it is try wired approach and see how you get on thats if xbox can do wired not to sure tbh.

It does, but there's games like Call of Duty where it picks someone from the game to host it.

chriscling
30-06-2009, 04:17
i cant even host atall on call of duty
wireless to the ps3, get a stable 85% signal from router to ps3 though!
i know i should wire it but its the other side of the house and more hassle than its worth,
when call of duty randomly selects the host, everytime im made to be host not 1 person can connect except me, even though they are all uk games with uk players.

die5el
30-06-2009, 09:36
Have you forwarded your ports on the router ? this link will show you how to port forward http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
I had a lot of connection problems untill i put the psn port numbers and cod4 port numbers in to my router now everythings fine or you can put the ps3 / xbox 360 in the dmz in the router this is the link on how to put your ps3 into the dmz of your router it will also work for the xbox 360 http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610541

browney
30-06-2009, 14:10
anything more than 3 players hosted on a home computer and your going to get problems

die5el
30-06-2009, 14:49
anything more than 3 players hosted on a home computer and your going to get problemsThere used to be more than 3 people when i used to host games on my pc and very rare we had problems even when i was on 10 meg also they are using consoles the ps3 and xbox360. i have just finished hosting some matches(about 90mins in total) in cod 4 with 12 people most of us using mics aswell with no problems and i have hosted games on 10 meg with hardly no problems

southwell
30-06-2009, 14:57
Not port forwarding can make it difficult for clients to connect to your Xbox, fix the Xbox's IP and forward all the relevant ports.

die5el
30-06-2009, 15:09
Port forwarding can make it difficult for clients to connect to your Xbox, fix the Xbox's IP and forward all the relevant ports.That doesnt make sence you saying portforwarding can make it difficult to connect to your xbox and in the same sentence you are saying to forward all the relevent ports (that is what port forwarding is) :rolleyes:

southwell
30-06-2009, 15:10
That doesnt make sence you saying portforwarding can make it difficult to connect to your xbox and in the same sentence you are saying to forward all the relevent ports (that is what portforwarding is) :rolleyes:
I mean not port forwarding.

mark ilford
30-06-2009, 15:20
people not being able to join when you host is a router problem, some work well and others dont. I find netgears work ok with cod4 on ps3. try the port forwarding or resetting your router

chriscling
30-06-2009, 16:03
tried resseting router numerous times, tried to port forward, that failed, put it in the dmz aswell, nothing, think im going to get the 50mb virgin bb in a hope that will solve it, they send you out a free wireless N router aswell so if its a router problem maybe that will fix it.

mark ilford
30-06-2009, 16:10
to be honest with you, increasing the download/upload speed wont make much difference, i got 50meg with the wireless n router and have to reset it ever now and then or i get stuck on downloading game settings screen. also port forwarding helped me with people joining my lobby or friend invites. dont know if u can use other routers with virgin but if u can id buy another router and try that, if it dont make a difference u can just take it back to the shop.

chriscling
30-06-2009, 17:52
i dont get downloading game settings problem
i have a belkin router, not the one vm gave me
i just cant host, im not too bothered about lag, everyone gets lag its peer 2 peer
but i need to host

lowei
30-06-2009, 20:43
Had to upgrade from 20 to 50meg myself just so i could host on xbox live.The router virgin supplied,WNR2000, is rubbish. Ive bought a dlink 855 its performance is alot better wired and wireless.

matt-h
30-06-2009, 20:57
It should be for 160 quid..lol

CableNutter
30-06-2009, 22:09
Had to upgrade from 20 to 50meg myself just so i could host on xbox live.The router virgin supplied,WNR2000, is rubbish. Ive bought a dlink 855 its performance is alot better wired and wireless.

So how is hosting for you now, is smooth like it should be?
Also what modem were you running on when you were on 20 meg

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

i dont get downloading game settings problem
i have a belkin router, not the one vm gave me
i just cant host, im not too bothered about lag, everyone gets lag its peer 2 peer
but i need to host
What modem do you currently have?
I am starting to think its my Ambit 256 that can't handle many connections or is faulty in some way

lowei
01-07-2009, 12:13
Hi CableNutter,
This may be helpfull...http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33639717-lagging-while-gaming-any-ideas.html

chriscling
01-07-2009, 15:34
So how is hosting for you now, is smooth like it should be?
Also what modem were you running on when you were on 20 meg

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

What modem do you currently have?
I am starting to think its my Ambit 256 that can't handle many connections or is faulty in some way

peer 2 peer gaming is a strain on the router, it could be a router problem
i currently have the "Belkin F5D8230-4 v2", but im upgrading to the 50mb service in the next couple of weeks and im going to pick up the d-link xtreme n gaming router,
if it is a serious problem, and you have a bit of spare cash for a router then check out this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=621428&Q=&is=REG&A=details
all my clan mates from infinityward use it and say its completely maximised their connections since they started using it, its next on my checklist.

edit* virgin media are just bad for gaming, the 20mb, if your lucky and actually reach anywhere near it just fluctuates causing mid game connection issues, the upload speeds are tight as hell and always have been, i mean...trying to host a room of 12-18 people on a 0.71 upload, not gonna happen. and the pings always terrible. i dont know 1 person who can host on virgin media, which makes me think im going to go for the 50mb, 1.5mb upload should be more than enough to host uk games with, my friend on be unlimited can host cod4 groundwars with a 3-4 bar connection for the whole lobby, plus i would be getting way more down.

CableNutter
01-07-2009, 19:00
peer 2 peer gaming is a strain on the router, it could be a router problem
i currently have the "Belkin F5D8230-4 v2", but im upgrading to the 50mb service in the next couple of weeks and im going to pick up the d-link xtreme n gaming router,
if it is a serious problem, and you have a bit of spare cash for a router then check out this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=621428&Q=&is=REG&A=details
all my clan mates from infinityward use it and say its completely maximised their connections since they started using it, its next on my checklist.

edit* virgin media are just bad for gaming, the 20mb, if your lucky and actually reach anywhere near it just fluctuates causing mid game connection issues, the upload speeds are tight as hell and always have been, i mean...trying to host a room of 12-18 people on a 0.71 upload, not gonna happen. and the pings always terrible. i dont know 1 person who can host on virgin media, which makes me think im going to go for the 50mb, 1.5mb upload should be more than enough to host uk games with, my friend on be unlimited can host cod4 groundwars with a 3-4 bar connection for the whole lobby, plus i would be getting way more down.

I have tried 2 routers, the Netgear one that Virgin supplies and the DGL 4300, the problem is prevelent in both which leads me to believe it could be an incompatibility issue with the modem.

I can host 4 player games (2v2) and that's it anymore and it starts to lag horribly, you would think with 0.70 upload you could host 4v4s but i simply can't.
My friend used to have Virgin 20 meg and could host 8 player rooms with ease so i am baffled

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Hi CableNutter,
This may be helpfull...http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33639717-lagging-while-gaming-any-ideas.html

Thanks mate i am working my way through the thread now :)

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

From some of the posts i have read i am starting to believe that it has something to do with the Ambit 256 and possibly an incompatibility issue

chriscling
01-07-2009, 20:40
I have tried 2 routers, the Netgear one that Virgin supplies and the DGL 4300, the problem is prevelent in both which leads me to believe it could be an incompatibility issue with the modem.

I can host 4 player games (2v2) and that's it anymore and it starts to lag horribly, you would think with 0.70 upload you could host 4v4s but i simply can't.
My friend used to have Virgin 20 meg and could host 8 player rooms with ease so i am baffled

yeah but whats 2v2, thats not even a team tac, 0.70 could be powered by a hamster, everyone in the states has beetween 2-20mb upload, britain is just behind.
what router did your friend have? if he has a secret tell him to share lol

mark ilford
27-07-2009, 19:03
did anyone notice a difference between the d link router and the netgear provided? would be nice to know

DaRk FiBrE
28-07-2009, 10:45
Generally, hosting a public xbox match on COD4 is 12 people max. I used to have problems too with everyone lagging but me (get some kills in though!) >:)

I then opened the ports on my wireless router and now UK players are fine - in fact the hosting remains with me fine until I leave the lobby. That's on wireless, 2 floors upstairs, and Im on a good few hours a day.

I'm on 20Mb (not that I'm getting it).
Modem: Ambit 256
Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54GR Wireless-G

Port forwarding ftw.

PS - advisable to switch off any other devices connected to the router eg, laptop/pc wireless radio and you're laughing...