PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Freeview problems

caveman
28-06-2009, 11:43
I had a set up in my wifes workshop of a 14" CRT and a separate (cheapie) Freeview tuner fed from a loft aerial.
Trying to improve that for her I, bought a 19" LG LCD with built in tuner and gave one of my sons the seperate tuner.
Unfortunately the signal breaks up a lot and she is giving me jip.
I have done a few searches and conclude that the TV splits the signal to feed the RF and Freeview inputs. This appears to weaken the signal on occasions and cause the problem.
Firstly, does this sound reasonable.
The answer is to change the aerial - which is inpractical as I already have VM in 2 rooms. Go back to the seperates solution ie. TV and separate tuner.
Richer Sounds said that I could return the TV but they have no TV's without tuners.
Would you keep the TV and buy another tuner and feed the AV input. Or what would you advise, please.

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 11:45
Get a masthead amp with 2 or more feeds this will boost the signal and also prevent loss from more than one downlead. It should help but as always an antenna in the loft is never gonna be fantastic

nodrogd
28-06-2009, 12:18
Loft aerials and passive splitting are very unlikley to get a good result, particularly with digital. You're possibly loosing 1/3 of your signal through the roof. Putting it outside, even on an outside wall as high as possible may make the difference you need. Also no two manufacturers tuners are the same, some are more sensative than others.

Dai
28-06-2009, 13:33
Also no two manufacturers tuners are the same, some are more sensative than others.

I'll second that. I've bought several LCD TVs in recent months and tried them on the exact same roof aerial/splitter amp setup. Some are perfect while others show a much lower signal level and suffer from appalling pixellation.

Even units from the same manufacturer don't seem to be consistant.