PDA

View Full Version : Capping Measurements

cpomd
28-06-2009, 01:45
My 10 Megs was capped on Sat28 and rhe symptoms were a slow response on Email and 2MB or less download speed. Apparently this is normal and no one could tell me what time I got capped and therefore when the 5 hours would end All this took place after I went through the usual disconnect router sw off and on and reboot. Custumer Services told me he would need to arrange an engineer and would call back after 15 mins. Still Waiting Meanwhile it all came good on its own, Can anyone recommend a measurement tool (Freeware) that can measure between 1600 and 2100 the 500MB which I am told is my limit.

Tia

rickyg01
28-06-2009, 02:00
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

that will do what you ask, and you can set a alarm to tell you when you are near ur limits

Ed2020
28-06-2009, 03:09
Or NetMeter:

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b5257f6107af7b345c8d023bee804 48&action=tpmod;dl=item14

Ed.

moroboshi
28-06-2009, 08:14
The problem with these download meters, is that they only measure what is downloaded on your PC. If you have other devices, such as game consoles or mobile devices, these go unmetered and can increase your chances of being throttled greatly. Downloading a single HD movie from Xbox Live for example guarantees throttling.

Just one of the many reasons why download caps are incredibly stupid.

chuxsta
28-06-2009, 10:06
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

that will do what you ask, and you can set a alarm to tell you when you are near ur limits

best monitoring app found so far thanks for the link, its nice that you can set peak times with alarms

one question though.....
does it only monitor the pc it is installed to?
or the line activity.... im aware consoles mobiles etc dont show on it but what about another pc using the same connection?

Ed2020
28-06-2009, 10:15
The best way to monitor your total bandwidth usage would be to install a 3rd party firmware on your router (assuming it will take one) and monitor usage with that.

www.dd-wrt.com offers the best firmware I've found. Instructions for getting it to monitor bandwidth are here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/BWlog

Ed.

cpomd
28-06-2009, 12:31
Many thanks for your suggestions I will play around with both.

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:08
The reason we cannot tell when or what time you were capped at is because the Graphs take 24 hours to update.

If you call up and ask when you were capped, its not easy for us to determin when and when you will be back to your full speed.

Its not capped, its traffic management.

if you were to call today for EG, we would be able to tell you when you were traffic managed the other night and wether it was upload or download usage.

daz2009
28-06-2009, 20:49
MR VM Guy, u talkin` a lot rubbish, stop tryin` 2 save ur a$$, lets get 1 thing straight, Virgin Media are gonna lose alot of customers coz of this capping.I was capped for ten hours yesterday, Do u wanna tell me (plain and simple)why i should pay for a ten meg connection, and only get 2 meg for the ten hours i am capped.

Ben B
28-06-2009, 20:53
why i should pay for a ten meg connection, and only get 2 meg for the ten hours i am capped.

Nobody else can give you better value and near enough the exact speed you pay for. Oh and by the way it's 5 hours not 10 and also maybe you shouldn't download as much as you do during the hours that traffic management is in operation. Now there's something to think about....

moaningmags
28-06-2009, 21:17
MR VM Guy, u talkin` a lot rubbish, stop tryin` 2 save ur a$$, lets get 1 thing straight, Virgin Media are gonna lose alot of customers coz of this capping.I was capped for ten hours yesterday, Do u wanna tell me (plain and simple)why i should pay for a ten meg connection, and only get 2 meg for the ten hours i am capped.

Traffic Management has been in place since May 2007 and revised in December 2008.

It's not a new thing.

martyh
28-06-2009, 21:29
The reason we cannot tell when or what time you were capped at is because the Graphs take 24 hours to update.

If you call up and ask when you were capped, its not easy for us to determin when and when you will be back to your full speed.

if you were to call today for EG, we would be able to tell you when you were traffic managed the other night and wether it was upload or download usage.

with all due respect LaineY that is a typical example of VM customer services not knowing enough about the job they are doing
many times i have phoned for advice on slow dl speed and every time the first thing they do is check to see if i have been capped, on the odd time i have been capped they have told me exactly what time it started and what time it is going to end

Peter_
28-06-2009, 21:36
with all due respect LaineY that is a typical example of VM customer services not knowing enough about the job they are doing
many times i have phoned for advice on slow dl speed and every time the first thing they do is check to see if i have been capped, on the odd time i have been capped they have told me exactly what time it started and what time it is going to end
Only 2nd line agents can tell us that and we only call them if you ask what time the STM kicked in, but we as 1st line agents can only see your STM history as Lainey described above 24 hours in arrears

homealone
28-06-2009, 21:40

Can you tell me, (plain & simple), why, if VM are going to lose "a lot" of customers due to traffic management, it hasn't happened during the 2 years it has been running?

Tbh if you are capped twice during 24 hrs on a 10 meg connection you are not arranging your web usage very efficiently - I can't remember the last time I triggered STM on my 20meg ...

martyh
28-06-2009, 21:48
Only 2nd line agents can tell us that and we only call them if you ask what time the STM kicked in, but we as 1st line agents can only see your STM history as Lainey described above 24 hours in arrears

I stand corrected ,it maybe that i was speaking to 2nd line agents as i always ask if we have been capped as i have two children always online aswell and it is the first thing i think off

Peter_
28-06-2009, 21:51
I stand corrected ,it maybe that i was speaking to 2nd line agents as i always ask if we have been capped as i have two children always online aswell and it is the first thing i think off
You never get to speak to 2nd line agents unless they have a callback raised to them and none of our tools tell us the trip times which means we have to ask them after first putting you on hold.

martyh
28-06-2009, 21:55
Can you tell me, (plain & simple), why, if VM are going to lose "a lot" of customers due to traffic management, it hasn't happened during the 2 years it has been running?

Tbh if you are capped twice during 24 hrs on a 10 meg connection you are not arranging your web usage very efficiently - I can't remember the last time I triggered STM on my 20meg ...

very true i have only triggered it twice and that was when capping first came in and since then it has never been triggered

VM did not lose alot of customers simply because at the same time they introduced capping so did everyone else and i think they are quite generous in their limits

musicbravo
28-06-2009, 21:55

Why u being a numpty? There is no need to be so rude. STM is part of VMs quality management and in my opinion is much better then having a download limit. Ifyou need unlimited downloads on a non STM'd package, get 50MB otherwise change provider. At least (according to Uswitch) VM are honest about their shaping policy. Companies such as AOL and Orange operate unspecified fair usage policies (again according to Uswitch)

martyh
28-06-2009, 22:01
You never get to speak to 2nd line agents unless they have a callback raised to them and none of our tools tell us the trip times which means we have to ask them after first putting you on hold.

so that's what you guys are doing when we are on hold ,here's me thinking you were just sitting there having a laff ;)

why don't they give you the tools ?it would save a lot of messing about

Peter_
28-06-2009, 22:03
so that's what you guys are doing when we are on hold ,here's me thinking you were just sitting there having a laff ;)

why don't they give you the tools ?it would save a lot of messing about
We are supposed to tell you why you are on hold and thats why we may comeback and ask you questions and it is only our more technical colleagues who get the real online toys to play with.:D

frogstamper
28-06-2009, 22:33
Is it not possible for VM to set-up an automated e-mail service that is triggered when customers are being traffic managed?

Peter_
28-06-2009, 22:35
Is it not possible for VM to set-up an automated e-mail service that is triggered when customers are being traffic managed?
I could not answer that and it has been asked many times, no idea what the logistics would involve either.

martyh
28-06-2009, 22:38

you'd think so wouldn't you but apparently they can't as yet ,as explained to me in another thread it's something to do with something realy technical that stops them doing stuff ;)

moroboshi
28-06-2009, 23:21

Call it what you will it still means if you dare to download a game demo or an HD movie you will have your download speed slashed to virtually unusable speeds for hours.

Tell me why in Japan they can offer 100mbit up/100mbit down with no caps, throttling, or 'traffic management' of any kind for the same sort of prices we pay here for Virgin? Better network? Better attitude towards their customers? True fibre to the home? Maybe just better in every imaginable way?

homealone
28-06-2009, 23:35
Call it what you will it still means if you dare to download a game demo or an HD movie you will have your download speed slashed to virtually unusable speeds for hours.

Tell me why in Japan they can offer 100mbit up/100mbit down with no caps, throttling, or 'traffic management' of any kind for the same sort of prices we pay here for Virgin? Better network? Better attitude towards their customers? True fibre to the home? Maybe just better in every imaginable way?

government subsidy ?

Graham M
28-06-2009, 23:49

It was written in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up to VM, if they weren't there when you joined (IE before 2007) then you will be out of contract anyway and free to move somewhere else. I suggest you check your attitude too before making anymore posts and invest in a keyboard with all the right keys in the right place.

dannybear
29-06-2009, 11:48

I agree this is why I left them in the 1st place. Just playing games on my xbox, then downloading demos on that. My family using there computer for web / email I was being capped of traffic thing, what ever ya want to call it. Its the same thing at the end of the day.

We never had any problems when it was NTL or Telewest. Virgin comes along and fook us all over with stuiped times, rules, cap speeds.

broadbandking
29-06-2009, 18:23

I can understand people been unhappy with STM but unusable speeds is a little over the top, of course you can use it for online gaming downloading surfing just means you have to do one at a time.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

o yeah feel free to move to Japan

dannybear
29-06-2009, 20:24
I can understand people been unhappy with STM but unusable speeds is a little over the top, of course you can use it for online gaming downloading surfing just means you have to do one at a time.

Why should we do everything one at a time. When we pay for a service ?

So if you going to buy a car then that has all the mods and cons, i.e. Air Con. So ya cant use the air con inside becuase it uses more petrol to run it ? Thats not capped.

homealone
29-06-2009, 22:28

Why should we do everything one at a time. When we pay for a service ?

So if you going to buy a car then that has all the mods and cons, i.e. Air Con. So ya cant use the air con inside becuase it uses more petrol to run it ? Thats not capped.

Are you suggesting people should pay extra for extra bandwidth - seeing as using the air con does actually cost more, your 'logic' doesn't seem to work, otherwise???

dannybear
29-06-2009, 23:24
I am not saying "people should pay extra for extra bandwidth".

If the option comes with the car you should be able to use it, with out being capped. Sorry for not making it clear it was done quickly.

What I am saying is that if you pay for a service, ya shouldnt be capped or limit from using it.

Peter_
29-06-2009, 23:27

If the option comes with the car you should be able to use it, with out being capped, via petrol I ment.
So the highway code, speed limits,MOT, road tax and insurance are not a means of controlling what you do with your car while you drive it, not the best example to choose.:D

Barton71
29-06-2009, 23:28
Are you suggesting people should pay extra for extra bandwidth - seeing as using the air con does actually cost more, your 'logic' doesn't seem to work, otherwise???

No, he is saying, if we pay for a 10mb service, then that is what we should get. The T&C's are just a way for VM to wriggle out of their responibility to provide that 10mb service 24/7.

I am not a technical person, so i don't know all the ins and outs of traffic management and capping, or whatever, but i do know that there are 3 people in my house who use the internet every night, and quite often at the same time. Not half an hour ago, two of us tried to watch a show on BBC iPlayer, and we couldn't due to "innsufficiant bandwidth". I done a speed check and our speed was 2mb. I feel that this is unacceptable and obviously so do a lot of other customers.

If it wasn't such a hassle, i think i would consider switch ISP, but that would mean getting a new phone line and all the bother which that entails.

I just don't think it is right that VM should be doing this to us, simply for using the service which they are offering. What is the point of them offering a 10mb service, if they do not have the means by which to supply it? I mean, who can really say that they read the T&C's of every contract they take out, especially if it is with a reputable and trusted company? If they are going to do this to us, then they should have it clearly marked in the advertisement, beside the speeds on offer, that 10mb will not always be available, and that your speed will be capped if you use a certain about of bandwidth.

It is a pretty poor show by VM.

Peter_
29-06-2009, 23:31
No, he is saying, if we pay for a 10mb service, then that is what we should get. The T&C's are just a way for VM to wriggle out of their responibility to provide that 10mb service 24/7.

I get my full speed 24/7 because I only download outside of the restrictions and it can be done by anyone easily.

moaningmags
29-06-2009, 23:34
I have 6 of us on the internet pretty much every evening and experience none of the issues you are. Normal browsing won't get you managed, the kids downloading will.

homealone
29-06-2009, 23:40

If the option comes with the car you should be able to use it, with out being capped. Sorry for not making it clear it was done quickly.

What I am saying is that if you pay for a service, ya shouldnt be capped or limit from using it.

if you use air con it costs extra in fuel consumption.

You pay extra for the air con 'feature' when buying the car & you pay extra when you use it - how is your analogy relevant to broadband useage ????

Barton71
29-06-2009, 23:43
I get my full speed 24/7 because I only download outside of the restrictions and it can be done by anyone easily.

Well, that nice for you, but most of us don't go about planning what we will be downloading days in advance, so that we can choose a time to download it. I am pretty sure i am typical of most people, and my downloads are usually email attachments, files sent over MSN, and whatever music and TV show take my fancy at that particular time.

My issue is, not getting what i was expecting from VM. It is clear that they are having problems delivering what they advertise, which is why the the capping is written in to the terms and conditions. What i can't understand is why they are offering these speeds in the first place, when they know that they are going to have trouble delivering them?

Like i said, the 3 people in my household normally only use the internet after 6pm, as we are at work all day, so using the internet through the day, for the most part, is of no interest to us.

Ben B
29-06-2009, 23:43
Your best bet with the iPlayer is to download the shows outside the hours so they are ready to watch during the hours so you wont get capped.

Barton71
29-06-2009, 23:56
Your best bet with the iPlayer is to download the shows outside the hours so they are ready to watch during the hours so you wont get capped.

Yeah, i realise this, but as a paying customer, why should i have to schedule my downloads? Why can't the 10mb connection be available to me all day, regardless of how much i have downloaded? It is what i have paid for after all.

It is as if VM are marketing 10mb service, when in reality, they are offering a 2mb service, with the bonus of an upgrade to 10mb, outside peak times.

Surely something is going to have to give eventually, what with more and more people wanting to download HD movies, use VoIP, play games online, and listen to music online. Aren't they under pressure to upgrade whatever it is that needs upgrading, in order to supply the bandwidth that people will need to do these things during peak times? Wouldn't that make more sense than offering faster and faster speeds, which can only be used effectively at certain times of the day?

Ben B
30-06-2009, 00:04
Yeah, i realise this, but as a paying customer, why should i have to schedule my downloads? Why can't the 10mb connection be available to me all day, regardless of how much i have downloaded? It is what i have paid for after all.

It is as if VM are marketing 10mb service, when in reality, they are offering a 2mb service, with the bonus of an upgrade to 10mb, outside peak times.

Surely something is going to have to give eventually, what with more and more people wanting to download HD movies, use VoIP, play games online, and listen to music online. Aren't they under pressure to upgrade whatever it is that needs upgrading, in order to supply the bandwidth that people will need to do these things during peak times? Wouldn't that make more sense than offering faster and faster speeds, which can only be used effectively at certain times of the day?

I agree with what you're saying and hopefully STM will be lifted in future but unfortunately it is out of our control at the minute.

dannybear
30-06-2009, 01:05
I dont bother psoting on here. Becuase it gets twisted which i did not mean like MOT road tax ****.

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

I am not a technical person, so i don't know all the ins and outs of traffic management and capping, or whatever, but i do know that there are 3 people in my house who use the internet every night, and quite often at the same time. Not half an hour ago, two of us tried to watch a show on BBC iPlayer, and we couldn't due to "innsufficiant bandwidth". I done a speed check and our speed was 2mb. I feel that this is unacceptable and obviously so do a lot of other customers.

If it wasn't such a hassle, i think i would consider switch ISP, but that would mean getting a new phone line and all the bother which that entails.

I just don't think it is right that VM should be doing this to us, simply for using the service which they are offering. What is the point of them offering a 10mb service, if they do not have the means by which to supply it? I mean, who can really say that they read the T&C's of every contract they take out, especially if it is with a reputable and trusted company? If they are going to do this to us, then they should have it clearly marked in the advertisement, beside the speeds on offer, that 10mb will not always be available, and that your speed will be capped if you use a certain about of bandwidth.

It is a pretty poor show by VM.

Thank you,

Dead on, thats what am saying.

cpomd
30-06-2009, 01:30
Nice to have started an interesting thread as I normally deal with an indian Call Centre and have a deep mistrust of following a script blindly. I was trying for a tool to use in my defence at being capped. This did not happen often on 2MB and I am not convinced its happening now hence using Tbbmeter. This program seems to suit my purpose by using Virginmedia Custom Alarms but I cant for the lifee of me make it work. Any assistance welcome?

Gizzie
30-06-2009, 01:54
I dont bother psoting on here. Becuase it gets twisted which i did not mean like MOT road tax ****.

Its usual for Virgin Media people to try and get you distracted on something other than the real issue. If they could argue about the car analogy they ignore the real failures of their own packages and services in the process of trying to be smart.

The reality is VM have misled alot of people and disappointed loads more. The ASA has just kicked them in the butt over a series of ads where VM indicated or promised to provide constant speeds and services, when they just cant and/ or wont.

If you advertise a 10MB line then you expect a solid 10mb line all the time. At the moment you can have that only if you limit your use of downloads during certain curfew hours, which actually amounts to virtually half of the 24 hour clock. If you are a heavy gamer, send and receive plenty of files or pictures, watch iplayer, or require use of specific media packages for work or study the bandwith restriction comes into force very quickly and becomes very difficult for users to do anything.

In many other countries, that actually have invested the money into cable structures at the same pace as making promises on speeds, have little in the same way of poor customer treatment.

The headaches then posed of having to call half way around the world to get someone follow a screen script when trying to explain and complain doesnt help the situation any more either.

Stuart
30-06-2009, 12:07
I agree this is why I left them in the 1st place. Just playing games on my xbox, then downloading demos on that. My family using there computer for web / email I was being capped of traffic thing, what ever ya want to call it. Its the same thing at the end of the day.

We never had any problems when it was NTL or Telewest. Virgin comes along and fook us all over with stuiped times, rules, cap speeds.

Actually, it still *is* NTL and Telewest (more Telewest though). They licence the name from Virgin.

My 10 Megs was capped on Sat28 and rhe symptoms were a slow response on Email and 2MB or less download speed. Apparently this is normal and no one could tell me what time I got capped and therefore when the 5 hours would end All this took place after I went through the usual disconnect router sw off and on and reboot. Custumer Services told me he would need to arrange an engineer and would call back after 15 mins. Still Waiting Meanwhile it all came good on its own, Can anyone recommend a measurement tool (Freeware) that can measure between 1600 and 2100 the 500MB which I am told is my limit.

Tia

Unless you send/recieve a lot of emails with attachments, I don't see how STM would affect speed of emails. Emails tend to be relatively small (a few K each) unless you have a lot of attachments.

jamiefrost
30-06-2009, 12:57
This argument has been done to death many times, at the root of the problem is peoples understanding of what they are buying from Virgin and all other ISPs for that matter.

For your £10, £20, £50 per month to your ISP you are paying for a contended service, i.e. lots of people sharing the same band width. Different ISPs have different contention rations.

Nobody on a normal home broadband service is paying for a true always max speed line.

Personally I think part of Virgin's problem is that a lot of heavy downloaders use the service because of the speeds they can get.

I get capped, I know when I'm going to get capped but when I do, this does not effect the quality of my connection. I can still browse, download and send emails.

JJ

Barton71
30-06-2009, 19:55
This argument has been done to death many times, at the root of the problem is peoples understanding of what they are buying from Virgin and all other ISPs for that matter.

For your £10, £20, £50 per month to your ISP you are paying for a contended service, i.e. lots of people sharing the same band width. Different ISPs have different contention rations.

Nobody on a normal home broadband service is paying for a true always max speed line.

Personally I think part of Virgin's problem is that a lot of heavy downloaders use the service because of the speeds they can get.

I get capped, I know when I'm going to get capped but when I do, this does not effect the quality of my connection. I can still browse, download and send emails.

JJ

But as consumers, we should not be allowing the ISP's to get away with this. Some people may not understand that they are not buying maximum speed, 100% of the time, but that is irrelevant. Consumers should not have to understand that, because it should not exist. We should have the max speed 100% of the time, or as close to 100% as possible.

The argument may have been done to death (its the first one i have been involved in), but what are the ISP's and in particular, VM doing to improve the service? Why are they offering faster speeds, before sorting out maximising the bandwidth allocation for their customers? I would guess its because "50mb Broadband" looks sexier, is one up on their competitors and is easier to sell, than "5mb Broadband, all day everyday".

jamiefrost
30-06-2009, 20:55
Thats because all ISPs sell a contended service, if you want an uncontended service so you can get 10Mb ALL of the time you can. Just be prepared to pay thousands of pounds a month to get it.

It's sort of as close to 100% speed as possible now with the current pricing structure.

JJ

daz2009
04-07-2009, 12:20
i dont give a to$$ anymore i just got put upto 20 meg for free [Mod Edit].

[Mod Edit (Rob M): Abuse removed]

NoFew
04-07-2009, 15:33
Virgin are a complete joke! & waist of space when it comes to providing broadband and customer care. I Shall be bumping alot of bad reviews about this company as i have 12hrs left due to 'Traffic management'

musicbravo
04-07-2009, 16:19
Virgin are a complete joke! & waist of space when it comes to providing broadband and customer care. I Shall be bumping alot of bad reviews about this company as i have 12hrs left due to 'Traffic management'

Why do people who slate Virgin always mess their argument up by using the wrong homophone. By waist of space do you mean uk male 30in, 32in or even 40in or female dress size 10, 12 or 14? :D

Virgin's broadband as far as i am aware is an "up to" service so therefore they are not obliged to provide full speed all the time, plus there are other network issues to factor in, that are beyond Virgin's control i.e. server problems and congestion.

I wasn't a fan of the car analogy either. My car has a maximum speed, but I cant use it owing to speed limits and traffic. Does this mean I should complain to my supplier (FIAT unfortunately)?

I have never found STM to be an issue and have been with the various aliases of Virgin's services for well over 10 years.

Raistlin
04-07-2009, 16:24
Traffic management shouldn't be an issue unless you're thrashing the arse out of the service - if you're doing that then there's half a chance that you're causing a degradation of service for the other users, and therefore it's quite right that VM should take appropriate steps to protect their network, other customers, and their revenue.

daz2009
04-07-2009, 16:36
but if you are on 10meg connection is the download limit 750meg, because that is not alot of downloading really, i mean a typical movie is around 700meg.maybe i am wrong.

darren.b
04-07-2009, 16:39
My monthly usage varies between 250GB-600GB depending upon how lazy I am. I rarely if ever trigger STM.

STM for me is similar to 30mph zones. Speed through those areas with impunity and you get punished. If you wish to "thrash the arse" out of it do it on the motorways, or outside of peak times.

Simple.

I do note they now mention they have STM between 10am-3pm, 4pm-9pm on their sales pages, but no longer link to the actual threshholds any more. Am I missing something?

Ignitionnet
04-07-2009, 16:54
Traffic management shouldn't be an issue unless you're thrashing the arse out of the service - if you're doing that then there's half a chance that you're causing a degradation of service for the other users, and therefore it's quite right that VM should take appropriate steps to protect their network, other customers, and their revenue.

Indeed, those 880MB World of Warcraft patches, amongst many other things, are 'thrashing the arse' out of it for sure.

VM use traffic management because they don't want to go after the people who are actually thrashing the arse out of the service and are too cheap to use other solutions or keep the network properly upgraded for the capacity they have sold. VM themselves claim that their average users uses twice as much bandwidth as any other provider that has published figures which puts this figure at minimally 20GB or so.

With the extra capacity that DOCSIS 3 upgrades have brought it would be interesting to see what, if any, requirement for STM there is now.