PDA

View Full Version : Cant access web site and cpanel

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 00:58
Hi, found this place whilst searching for answers, so fresh out the blocks so to speak

Yesterday everything was fine

i booted up today and was not able to access my own website or cpanel but could access other sites. Email was also a no go from my own site but other accounts unaffected.
I checked the host and everything was OK. I've cleared cache, tried turning off the firewalls in the router (belkin) and the sygate one on the PC, tried accessing from a seperate laptop...still the same result...no access

I can however access the site if I use a proxy server from the web, so know the sites OK. Not being too technically minded, it appears that the host has blocked the iP that i'm using.
Also, because the web pages were loading slowly, I rebooted the router and did a speed test. Until VERY recently I've been on 2MB cable and opted for the free upgrade to 10MB. The speed test shows that I'm now getting approx 8MB so presume the upgrade has been processed.
Until recently, my IP started with 81.XXXX and note today that its now
82.XXXXX
Could the change in IP be due to the upgrade and could it be causing the lack of access to my cpanel and website

I'm running XP pro (with all the updates) and IE7

any ideas would be welcome

thanks
Paul

vinh1000
28-06-2009, 08:58
well what's your website? - and the ip looks normal if you have major probs call Tech Support

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 09:08
A proxy won't let you into cpanel because of the port.. If you can access your website via a proxy but not direct then yes it could be possible that your hosts firewall or access list is simply blocking you.. Though it might be something simple like cpanel is set to block an IP after a few incorrect logins

Surely your host has some form of tech support, give them the IP and ask them why you can't get in... they're a lot more likely to be able to help than any 3rd party...

PS... Welcome to the forum

vinh1000
28-06-2009, 09:10
A proxy won't let you into cpanel because of the port.. If you can access your website via a proxy but not direct then yes it could be possible that your hosts firewall or access list is simply blocking you.. Though it might be something simple like cpanel is set to block an IP after a few incorrect logins

Surely your host has some form of tech support, give them the IP and ask them why you can't get in... they're a lot more likely to be able to help than any 3rd party...

PS... Welcome to the forum

thats true cPanel has a brute force firewall. About 6 wrong attempts will lock your ip our for a few hours

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 09:36
Thanks for the welcome folks and the info

my website is www.exup1000.co.uk but I wouldn't have thought that mattered and my host is siteground

I've not attempted to log in and failed at any point so can discount that one

additionally, I didn't try to access cpanel through the proxy....I just cant access it at all

I'll contact siteground when I get back later to see what they say. Just thought it was strange that I could access it the day before with no probs and haven't changed any settings at this end

Jon T
28-06-2009, 09:39
I can get to your site fine.

What happens if you do a trace route?(start->run->cmd->tracert www.exup1000.co.uk)

Possibly a routing issue affecting the IP block that your address is in, or your host has blocked that range due to some form of abuse. Two possible reasons, but there are others.

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 09:43
it times out at 12

Peter_
28-06-2009, 09:47
Try the Virgin proxy

Proxy for IE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proxy goes in your browser.

The proxy to use is : webcache.virginmedia.com

The port number is : 8080

How to set up proxy in Internet Explorer 6/7

Step 1 � On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
Step 2 � Under Proxy server, click to select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
Step 3 � In the Address box, type the IP address of the proxy server. (e.g. proxy.abc.com or 202.188.17.24)
Step 4 � In the Port box, type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080).
Step 5 � You can click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box if you do not want the proxy server computer to be used when you connect to a computer on the local network.
Step 6 � Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
Step 7 � Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Proxy for Firefox

Here is a proxy add on for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464

To enable proxy settings in Firefox 3.0

Select Tools -> Options. ( In some Firefox browser's you have to go to Edit>Preferences usually in LInux )
Select Advanced.
Open the Network tab.
In 'Connections' area click 'Settings' button.
Select Manual Proxy Configuration radio button.
In the necessary proxy field(s), put the same settings in the HTTP field then
Click 'OK'

--------------------------------------------------------

Jon T
28-06-2009, 09:49
it times out at 12

Can you paste the tracert for us to see?

Jump 12 doesn't tell us very much:)

@Moldova, that will work to allow access to the website, but the cpanel login will probably fail, as it's on a port other than 80, 8080, or 3128 and so won't be passed by the proxy.

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 09:55
Try the Virgin proxy

Proxy for IE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proxy goes in your browser.

The proxy to use is : webcache.virginmedia.com

The port number is : 8080

How to set up proxy in Internet Explorer 6/7

Step 1 � On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
Step 2 � Under Proxy server, click to select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
Step 3 � In the Address box, type the IP address of the proxy server. (e.g. proxy.abc.com or 202.188.17.24)
Step 4 � In the Port box, type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080).
Step 5 � You can click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box if you do not want the proxy server computer to be used when you connect to a computer on the local network.
Step 6 � Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
Step 7 � Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Well...I can now access the site, Thanks, but obviously not the cpanel coz its thro' a proxy

What exactly have I just done and any ideas what the prob is or whats caused it?
I've never had to alter settings like this before

Paul

Kymmy
Try the Virgin proxy

-

He's already tried a proxy but no proxy is gonna be any help cPanel ports

Peter_

@Moldova, that will work to allow access to the website, but the cpanel login will probably fail, as it's on a port other than 80, 8080, or 3128 and so won't be passed by the proxy.
Its more to see if he can get to the site as I am on a Virgin connection myself and his site opens instantly for me.

The may be a local DNS issue which can happen from time to time.

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:02
The VM proxy again will just change your viewable IP, so it really does confirm that your IP is being stopped in some way by either your hosts firewall or the cPanel lockout.. Is it purely a webhost, or do you have access to more (for example a dedicated or VP server)

If the former then get onto your hosters tech support, if latter then you might try SSH (though likely to be blocked as well or your VPS config panel to reset your firewall..(which won;t be blocked)

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Its more to see if he can get to the site as I am on a Virgin connection myself and his site opens instantly for me.

The may be a local DNS issue which can happen from time to time.

Best way to confirm would be to change his own IP address (just needs for him to change the MAC on the router or NIC)... this will then confrim either an IP lockout (if it works) or a DNS problem (if it doesn't)..though not likely to be DNS but local routing as he could simply add the address to his HOSTS file to bypass DNS

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:03

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/16.jpg

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:07
Not much good in showing half a traceroute, but at least the DNS is working.

If you're on a router then change your MAC, if on a NIC then try changing the MAC via a MAC changing tool (can never remember the names of them :() that should give you a new IP..

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:09
Kymmy, thanks....but you totally lost me. Its a bit above what i know or understand. I CAN access the router settings and set up a basic wireless network but I'm a beginner at this sort of detail

Jon T
28-06-2009, 10:11
Is "theplanet.com" your hosting company? If so, contact their technical support and give them a copy of the info in the tracert.

By the very fact that the tracert is even starting, you've proved DNS isn't the issue, as the first thing that done is a DNS lookup to resolve what IP to tracert to.

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:11
Not much good in showing half a traceroute, but at least the DNS is working.

If you're on a router then change your MAC, if on a NIC then try changing the MAC via a MAC changing tool (can never remember the names of them :() that should give you a new IP..

sorry, thought you just needed to know where things stopped

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:12
In the basic router settings you should be able to change the MAC address, just note down the old one and change it to another hexadecimal number (something like AA:BB:11:44:GG...etc...) then reboot the modem and router... that should then get the modem to give you a new IP adress... that will then confirm whether or not your IP is being blocked by the site or if instead the local VM UBR is routing you down a blind alley..

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:15
Is "theplanet.com" your hosting company? If so, contact their technical support and give them a copy of the info in the tracert.

By the very fact that the tracert is even starting, you've proved DNS isn't the issue, as the first thing that done is a DNS lookup to resolve what IP to tracert to.

My host for the exup site is Siteground

https://www.siteground.com/

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:19
BTW....nice to see another yamaha forum owner ;)

Jon T
28-06-2009, 10:23
My host for the exup site is Siteground

https://www.siteground.com/

Siteground most probably don't have their own data center/servers, instead they will rent what they need from someone, most probably "theplanet.com"

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:25
In the basic router settings you should be able to change the MAC address, just note down the old one and change it to another hexadecimal number (something like AA:BB:11:44:GG...etc...) then reboot the modem and router... that should then get the modem to give you a new IP adress... that will then confirm whether or not your IP is being blocked by the site or if instead the local VM UBR is routing you down a blind alley..

Changed the Mac and rebooted. I can now access the site, forum and receive email but not access the cpanel. says IE unable to display webpage

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:27
Changed the Mac and rebooted. I can now access the site, forum and receive email but not access the cpanel. says IE unable to display webpage

Do you still have the proxy in place??

Jon T
28-06-2009, 10:28

You need to remove the proxy, reverse the steps that you followed in Moldova's post.

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:30
Do you still have the proxy in place??

no already removed that (its still a proxy even tho' its Virgins own right? (am learning LOL)

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:32
Also just for reference I can get your cPanel login fine here.. but obviously I can't login (don't need to just wanted to confirm that cpanel is working :))

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Errr, stupid question but which port you using for cPanel? last time I had this problem I was using the wrong one ;) Yep..stooooopid me... (PM me if you don;t wish to say it in public...but it is running the default port ;))

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 10:35
I'm IN :D:D

Thanks folks for all your help...really appreciated

So, to a dunce :dunce: what exactly was the problem? and any ideas why?

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 10:39
:clap:

Sounds like for some reason your IP address got locked out... now you're on a new IP it's let you in..

Glad you're sorted and happy :)

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 11:00
Must admit, This place, the people and their knowledge is amazing! From a new member without a clue, you all offered help and found my problem within a matter of 30 mins

I owe you a beer :cool:

Many thanks
Paul

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 11:04
Hmmm, so you gonna buy 50,000 members a beer ;) LOL

Graham M
28-06-2009, 11:41
I only drink Moet & Chandon :p:

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 11:42
I only drink Moet & Chandon :p:

Well that's what we told him we keep pouring into his glass ;)

Rik
28-06-2009, 12:15
Slightly offtopic :)

Your wallpapers dont work :(

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/wallpaper/motogp.htm

I see they are linked to externally so panic over.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Seems its only the Motogp ones.

The brolly dollies ones work fine, thanks for brightning up a dull Sunday with those lol :)

stigsdump
28-06-2009, 16:25
Slightly offtopic :)

Your wallpapers dont work :(

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/wallpaper/motogp.htm

I see they are linked to externally so panic over.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Seems its only the Motogp ones.

The brolly dollies ones work fine, thanks for brightning up a dull Sunday with those lol :)

The place needs a bit of work I admit but am currently undertaking building work at home so time for the PC in general is very limited. I'll take a look at the wallpapers when I get chance. Thanks for the heads up and glad you like the place