PDA

View Full Version : help required

kibby
26-06-2009, 17:46
Hi everyone, not sure if I have posted this in the right forum.

I have a large green virgin cable cabinet located to the side of my property and it is on my land. I have spoken to virgin and asked if they could re-locate this as I want to fence that section off. To cut a long story short they have offered me firstly a one of payment of £1,000 then I advised them that considering it would cost substantally more as they would have to dig up the path and road for access to the cables, apply for planning permission for where ever they are to site it they have given me a second offer of £1,500. Has anyone come across this before, do you think that this is a reasonable offer and that I should accept it?

Any help or information would be gratefully appreciated.

Raistlin
26-06-2009, 17:48
Moved to 'Installation Issues' it fits better there than anywhere else.

:welcome:

martyh
26-06-2009, 19:01
if you are benefitting from the box i.e your cable comes from it i would snatch their hands off
if on the other hand you don't benefit from it at all you could try claiming a rent from the box owner ,it's called a wayleave agreement ,the same agreement farmers get for pylons and house owners can get for cables crossing their land as long as they don't benefit it
i am not a legal expert but have known people who have had some success so have a word with a solicitor

good luck

nodrogd
26-06-2009, 19:45
It is unlikely the box would have been put there without a wayleave agreement. Was the box put in after the house was built or was the box there first. I'm probably thinking it's the latter. Near where I live a box that was origionally on a footpath is now in the middle of someones front garden.

These boxes have two ducts coming into them, and there may be splitters in the box feeding other boxes requiring major excavations. Add to that the cable runs to up to 50 properties which will all require repulls, not to mention some of your neighbours possibly having to have their gardens dug up (older cable runs were just 'buried' rather than being put in trunking as they are now).

So this would be a major undertaking on VM's part, hence the cost.

kibby
02-07-2009, 22:33
I already checked ( and with VM ) no wayleave agreement in place, the person dealing with it is off until 06.07.09 so I have taken legal advise and they have advised that they should be paying out and not tiny amounts either or like you say have a wayleave agreement where by they either pay every time they need access or pay a yearly fee for it being there. I will keep you all posted.