PDA

View Full Version : Loss of signal.

joglynne
26-06-2009, 16:44
I normally have a very stable signal with no connection problems as regards my V+ and, since I changed my router, no connection problems with my BB.

This afternoon I having lost both the V+ and BB connection for nearly an hour I phoned 151 to see if it was an area fault. Nothing was showing up on their screen but the gentleman said he would phone me back immediately if anything started to show or in an hour if nothing cropped up to explain why I had lost service.

I put the phone down and, Sod's Law, both the V+ and BB sprang back to life. :D

The CS guy has just phoned me to check whether I had my connection back https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/09/2.gif as no other faults had come in for my area.

We had a bit of difficulty understanding each other but I was able to explain that it wasn't a case of the heat or a loose plug so he advised me to unplug everything at least twice a week as my problem was most probably caused by static electricity building up in the system.

I promised to bare his advise in mind but thought I would see if this is sound advise or just a CS trying too hard to give me a reason for my outage. :)

Peter_
26-06-2009, 16:50
Never heard of static electricity before as a fault but at least you got a callback and everything is working again.

joglynne
26-06-2009, 17:20
I must admit it was the surprise of actually getting a call back that prompted my post as I had already decided to take the Static Electricity explanation with a pinch of salt. :)

Ignitionnet
26-06-2009, 17:46
I must admit it was the surprise of actually getting a call back that prompted my post as I had already decided to take the Static Electricity explanation with a pinch of salt. :)

Must have gone to the back of the excuse-o-fax. That one's right from the past. We progressed from that onto solar radiation as BS for an issue with electronic equipment a while ago.

joglynne
26-06-2009, 18:01
Must have gone to the back of the excuse-o-fax. That one's right from the past. We progressed from that onto solar radiation as BS for an issue with electronic equipment a while ago.

I suppose it could have been worse then. At least he didn't tell me I needed to wrap the modem and V+ box in aluminum foil. :D

Cobbydaler
26-06-2009, 18:35
I suppose it could have been worse then. At least he didn't tell me I needed to wrap the modem and V+ box in aluminum foil. :D

What they tell their most awkward customers is to wrap their heads in tin foil... :erm:

Peter_
26-06-2009, 18:38
What they tell their most awkward customers is to wrap their heads in tin foil... :erm:
Someone who called in earlier.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/ali2.jpg

joglynne
26-06-2009, 18:39

Well obviously that would never apply to me. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/29.gif But it's nice to see that certain VM CS have progressed beyond just reading the script......or maybe not.

nodrogd
26-06-2009, 19:22
Could be something as simple as a local power failure at a distribution box. The fibre/coax converter boxes are all mains powered. If the box that serves you is a few streets away and there is a local failure in that street the whole of that sections TV & BB will go down, but the phones will continue to work.

joglynne
26-06-2009, 20:40
Could be something as simple as a local power failure at a distribution box. The fibre/coax converter boxes are all mains powered. If the box that serves you is a few streets away and there is a local failure in that street the whole of that sections TV & BB will go down, but the phones will continue to work.

Thanks for the suggestion nodrogd but I don't think that had happened to-day.

The cabinet for our area is just on the other side of my garden fence and there were no lovely Virgin guys to be seen making any form of repair when I went out side to see if there was any evidence of vandalism or overheating, and I have since found out that none of my neighbours suffered any loss of connection.

My modem readings and speeds are as healthy as usual so I guess I will just have to put it down to one of those things and if it happens again try to see why at that point.

nodrogd
27-06-2009, 17:37
Just thought it a possibilty. My local cab is right outside my back gate also, but is fed by a converter box 300m away on another part of the estate. That area had 4 power cuts in quick succession a while ago and it took out the TV & BB to most of the estate.