PDA

View Full Version : VM and RS/UP

detolportects
26-06-2009, 10:54
M8s!does VM screen your DLs from RS. I mean just DLing of ebooks,audibooks, etc!no torrents of such I will be using but simple RS,do I need a HIP for further protection?:)). Alternatively anybodu has had any issues with such nature of DLing with VM?tnx in advance

Raistlin
26-06-2009, 11:01
You might want to clarify 'RS' and 'HIP' for those people that aren't psychic ;)

detolportects
26-06-2009, 11:03
sorry I meant RapidShare and Hide My IP. For the RS I guess it is common abbraviation but for the HIP, I just wanted to look cool...:)) Hide My IP I was referring to!!!

AbyssUnderground
26-06-2009, 11:19
Since rapid share free only allows one download per IP per 20 minutes then hide my IP seems a good idea, if it works, since the IP they see will change frequently allowing more downloads.

detolportects
26-06-2009, 12:00
thanks for the tip...I was wondering if the VM monitors the RapidShare style DLs. I know that from last year onward they are taking so called 3 strike approach to Torrents/P2P distributers, any updates on DLs? would they pass their possible monitorings to any third party?:)

Pushkar
26-06-2009, 12:42
thanks for the tip...I was wondering if the VM monitors the RapidShare style DLs. I know that from last year onward they are taking so called 3 strike approach to Torrents/P2P distributers, any updates on DLs? would they pass their possible monitorings to any third party?:)

Well you would be safe if you were downloading e-books :D, but yes, your movies and stuff is 'hidden' from the legal authorities on Virgin's part, but Rapidshare may keep logs as well, but is unlikely.

Even in the case they did, they would go after uploaders - and not downloaders.

AbyssUnderground
26-06-2009, 12:54
VM won't disclose the info they collect or use it to blame you unless approached by the authorities. They don't actually care what goes on via their network until any problem or law breaking is reported to them or the authorities get involved. I wouldn't worry until you get the first letter, then it might be time to stop :)

zing_deleted
26-06-2009, 12:58
You might want to clarify 'RS' and 'HIP' for those people that aren't psychic ;)

Those able to help would know what he means those unable to advise would not ;)

Northeast_user
26-06-2009, 13:17
M8s!does VM screen your DLs from RS. I mean just DLing of ebooks,audibooks, etc!no torrents of such I will be using but simple RS,do I need a HIP for further protection?:)). Alternatively anybodu has had any issues with such nature of DLing with VM?tnx in advance

The way I see it, Is that " The owners" of copyright material are only monitoring P2p and torrent sites. And then tracking down the seeders, Just look at all the streaming movie sites, They tried to put a stop to it years ago but they seem to have given up as there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. And I guess the Rapidshare situation is exactly the same. TBH I wouldn't worry about it. As said above Virgin aren't going to give any details unless asked, And they'll only be asked if you have seeded a file and you've done it without hiding your IP.

detolportects
26-06-2009, 13:32
A way off my mind!I have heard about stories and letters sent to Seeders...a few audiobooks are not worth the hassle, I believe. But another follow-up, since the torrents remain still a tempting option, do you think that softwares life Hide My IP do really the trick, do they really conceal your ID when torrenting(naturally sharing even when the file is not complete as I understood)...

Northeast_user
26-06-2009, 13:44
A way off my mind!I have heard about stories and letters sent to Seeders...a few audiobooks are not worth the hassle, I believe. But another follow-up, since the torrents remain still a tempting option, do you think that softwares life Hide My IP do really the trick, do they really conceal your ID when torrenting(naturally sharing even when the file is not complete as I understood)...

TBH I get alot from RS and such sites and have never really thought it necessary to mask my IP, As I said I think they are looking for people using third party software to "share" material. If you are just looking around the net and come across a file, thats their problem not yours.

And check your PM's ;)

EDITED TO ADD:. And I do believe that the defense of anyone uploading stuff to RS and such, Is that they were using it as storage, unless they can be proved to have linked it to a site and given it out to the public. I hope this eases your mind.

detolportects
26-06-2009, 14:01
As it is said, the wall of denial is pretty high, when it comes to the Cyberspace(at least in downloading usual stuff)...the idea is that normally you use a website to find those RS links,for example some .ws ones(I didnt know that WS stands for a real country!!!)...or some RS search engines.BTW apart from RS which is a TRUSTED one in a sense, what about others like MEGAUPLOAD or UPLOADING? Do you think they might monitor their traffic?

Northeast_user
26-06-2009, 14:18
As it is said, the wall of denial is pretty high, when it comes to the Cyberspace(at least in downloading usual stuff)...the idea is that normally you use a website to find those RS links,for example some .ws ones(I didnt know that WS stands for a real country!!!)...or some RS search engines.BTW apart from RS which is a TRUSTED one in a sense, what about others like MEGAUPLOAD or UPLOADING? Do you think they might monitor their traffic?

Well I have noticed that copyrighted material Is ususally removed from Megaupload pretty quickly, So either they have god fearing mods or some one has reported it, And the reporting usually comes from the owners or people working on their behalf. So yeah I'd say they were monitoring.