PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WGR614v9 firmware upgrade

rjsetford
25-06-2009, 15:00
Hi,

I have a Netgear WGR614v9 Wireless Router supplied by VM.

Has anyone had any issues upgrading the firmware (currently running V1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK)?

I have a nasty feeling that the existing firmware is a custom VM job but I could be wrong and an upgrade may break it.

Any help is more than welcome,

Rich

chickendippers
25-06-2009, 15:02
The firmware is locked in. Trying to upgrade may brick it and void the warranty.

However I do seem to recall a guide to doing it somewhere on the interwebs, but proceed at your own risk.

Peter_
25-06-2009, 15:03
Very likely to brick it if an attempt at upgrading the firmware is made as Netgear will not even support that router as the Virgin firmware is embedded.

rjsetford
25-06-2009, 15:12
In which case, is there a way of enabling true NAT rules rather than using port fwd/trgs?

I might be missing something in the config though

zing_deleted
25-06-2009, 15:21
Very likely to brick it if an attempt at upgrading the firmware is made as Netgear will not even support that router as the Virgin firmware is embedded.

why is it? loads and loads of devices can support hacked code my router for example is a linksys and its running Tomato. I read the tutorial for updating the firmware of these Netgear routers and it seem straight forward enough. Upgrading any devices firmware can cause a brick but loads of us do it

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/263

This apparently work but I accept no responsability but the theory sounds sound lol

http://support.bicestercomputers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57 guy here says its been tested but again I aint tested it

Peter_
25-06-2009, 16:37
why is it? loads and loads of devices can support hacked code my router for example is a linksys and its running Tomato. I read the tutorial for updating the firmware of these Netgear routers and it seem straight forward enough. Upgrading any devices firmware can cause a brick but loads of us do it

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/263

This apparently work but I accept no responsability but the theory sounds sound lol

http://support.bicestercomputers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57 guy here says its been tested but again I aint tested it
A hacked router is an unsupported router.

I have heard of sites where you can get firmware for the router but in at least 50% of routers hacked they are bricked and they will not accept the Virgin firmware and then when you call in about your "faulty" router we now ask you to send it in for testing and then when we see what you have done and you incur a £40 charge.

If you want to hack a router buy one of Ebay and if it goes wrong the is no comeback.

zing_deleted
25-06-2009, 16:38
a supported vm router is crap ;)

if it bricks dont buy one off vm buy one elsewhere

I am linking to software that unbricks routers. It erases the boot block and reprograms it using Netgear firmware.

AFAIK its like erasing xp and installing vista same principle and the VM firmware similar in principle to a branded OEM pc wiped and debranded. You can also do it with mobile phones etc

I might be wrong but the principle seems sound

Peter_
25-06-2009, 16:40

if it bricks dont buy one off vm one elsewhere
Exactly right;)

skweekz
03-06-2011, 12:15
i have the same router and it was stuck on virgins custon firmware but now it has been fixed with a few lines of code into the router

you must be running xp
starts at step 4
4. Get the MAC address of your Netgear router. You can look it up on the web interface of your router (Maintenance -
> Router status -> LAN port -> MAC Address).
5. Copy or type the MAC address to a text editor such as Notepad, Wordpad or write it down.
Remove any minus signs ( - ) or colons ( : ), replace all characters by their upper case representation (a -> A, d-> D etc.)
6. Copy the result of your editing to the clipboard and return to the command line window.
7. Type (without quotes) "telnet", the IP address of your router (e.g. "192.168.1.1"), add another
space (" "), paste the contents of the clipboard, and append " virgin password". These are the default username
and password for your router (if you've changed the put that in instead)
8. Now press Enter to run the tool. It should return to the shell pretty quickly with no error. If it takes a long time
and returns a 'send failed' error message, just try again.
9. You should now be able to login to the router via telnet from any computer in your local subnet (including the one
you just used to activate the listening mode). To do so, type the following (no quotes): "telnet", append the IP of
your router and press enter (e.g. telnet 192.168.1.1)
11. After successful authentication you will be presented a prompt such as: U12H09400 >
12. Then type “burnboardid U12H094T00_NETGEAR”
13. Then type “reboot”
14. After that, you can log back into the router via its web interface and flash it with the generic netgear firmware.
(The newest is available here.)
15. After flashing reset the router by holding in the reset button on the back of the router until the “Ѵ-“sign on the
front starts blinking.
Now your Netgear WGR614v9 from Virgin is working just like a generic Netgear WGR614v9, and all there is left to do
is set it up using the normal web interface using http://192.168.1.1!

all you do then is update to the latest firmware

pip08456
03-06-2011, 13:44
Flashing a router with custom firmware is not a problem. It's just like you were using your router. Just don't expect any support for it from VM.

Skie
03-06-2011, 18:10
Someone should try those first few steps to see if they let you into the superhub too.

pip08456
04-06-2011, 00:08
Someone should try those first few steps to see if they let you into the superhub too.

The problem there is it's a combined CPE. You would end up with an unsupported modem as well which VM do not allow!

Peter_
04-06-2011, 05:59
Not advisable as you may kill the modem, wait for modem mode instead.

Skie
04-06-2011, 12:02
The problem there is it's a combined CPE. You would end up with an unsupported modem as well which VM do not allow!

I was more thinking it may have been the way to get access back to SSH/Telnet on the hub. If they are both netgear devices it may use the same mac/password combo.

Kymmy
04-06-2011, 12:22
Not a superhub thread, please use the existing Bridge Mode threads

RickyG
10-02-2012, 23:49
What does "supported" by VM mean?

Does that mean the patronising ****** on the phone can tell you where the ON OFF switch is?

qasdfdsaq
11-02-2012, 03:10
Yes, that.

Peter_
11-02-2012, 07:19
What does "supported" by VM mean?

Does that mean the patronising ****** on the phone can tell you where the ON OFF switch is?
The Virgin Media Netgear WGR614 has embedded software which is unsupported by Netgear and oddly it does not have an ON/OFF switch, so for help setting it up especially if you were unfortunate enough to use the disk you would probably need to call Virgin Media for help.

So do please take that in to consideration instead of invoking the swear filter over a device you have little knowledge about.:rolleyes:

RickyG
11-02-2012, 23:36
That's me told off then.

I would edit my post so the Sunday School swear filter wasn't upset.

No ON/OFF switch? That is odd.

I expect then, the patronising technical help person would tell you to turn it off at the power supply, wherever that may be.

All the while sticking their fingers in their ears and singing Laa Laa Laa, when you tell them you've already done that.

Peter_
11-02-2012, 23:45
That's me told off then.

I would edit my post so the Sunday School swear filter wasn't upset.

No ON/OFF switch? That is odd.

I expect then, the patronising technical help person would tell you to turn it off at the power supply, wherever that may be.

All the while sticking their fingers in their ears and singing Laa Laa Laa, when you tell them you've already done that.
The WGR614 has no power button.

Instructions on how to set up a Virgin Media WGR614 router below

First you need to fully uninstall the Virgin Media wireless manager from the machine if you set it up previously with the disk, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and right clicking then exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >add/remove programs or programs and features > now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

First ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router by the antenna and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 30 seconds as this will reset the router.

----------------------------

WGR614 router

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a Red Virgin Media setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted to lose the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

Easy enough for anyone to setup.

Tuvoc
12-02-2012, 21:49

My WGR614v9 has been working flawlessly for over 3 yrs on the VM firmware, brilliant router.

Peter_
13-02-2012, 08:19
A Virgin media Netgear WGR614 will no longer be listed on any account due to its age so little point in ringing up with an issue as they will be unable to replace it.

Tuvoc
13-02-2012, 13:21
A Virgin media Netgear WGR614 will no longer be listed on any account due to its age so little point in ringing up with an issue as they will be unable to replace it.

Indeed. I'll get a superhub shortly from the 20Mb to 60Mb upgrade. The Netgear WGR614 wireless won't give me any benefit from the extra speed, so I'll have to get a DIR-615 off ebay for £10-£15 anyway. Superhub will be in modem mode.

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 13:43
Given the beauty and sheer wireless reliability (and irony!) of the BT Home Hub 3, I might have to start recommending that over the DIR-615 soon.

Peter_
13-02-2012, 16:36
Indeed. I'll get a superhub shortly from the 20Mb to 60Mb upgrade. The Netgear WGR614 wireless won't give me any benefit from the extra speed, so I'll have to get a DIR-615 off ebay for £10-£15 anyway. Superhub will be in modem mode.
The Netgear WGR614 will not give you speeds much above 25Mb so it would be pointless to even consider using it with a Superhub.

Tuvoc
13-02-2012, 17:35
The Netgear WGR614 will not give you speeds much above 25Mb so it would be pointless to even consider using it with a Superhub.

Correct, that is why I'll need to get something like a DIR-655.

Gavin78
13-02-2012, 18:18
What about the older VM router the wnr2000 I'm sure I've updated the firmware on that through the routers own menu

Peter_
13-02-2012, 18:23
What about the older VM router the wnr2000 I'm sure I've updated the firmware on that through the routers own menu
That is a standard router and N rated.