PDA

View Full Version : Very confused about 50mb service and price. Anyone clarify??

Maxie
24-06-2009, 22:50
First of all apologies if this info is some where else, ive searched and cant find much.....and i aint logged on here in a while.

Discounting the fact that im not sure that 50mb is available in Sunderland yet (Virgin promised to email me but i havent had anything yet!!) the prices are confusing me.

Firstly, i'll admit that in my naivety, the email i got months ago from "Branson" ;) stating "Every year we’ve upgraded our broadband speeds for free - in 2007 we upgraded our customers on 10Mb to up to 20Mb, last year we upgraded all our customers on 4Mb to up to 10Mb. With the launch of our 50Mb broadband this year, the possibilities are virtually limitless. Who knows what speeds we’ll be able to bring to you in the future. But rest assured – since you’re on the fibre optic network, you’re on the right network. " Had me thinking those nice people at Virgin were upgrading XL customers for nothing to 50mb (upon reread it doesnt look that way!)

Secondly, this link
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/existing_customer.pl
States 50mb is £50 a month. (I currently pay £35 for the BB part of my XL package).

But, this link
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)
states that the price is £35 a month (what i pay now for 20mb) plus has the condition "*Plus a Virgin Phone line for £11 a month."
But i already have a Virgin phoen line......i have the XL package!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
The next to that it states £50 a month without the phone line!!

Can someone please tell me in laymans terms what the hell the price would be for me....again apologis if this has all been done before!:dunce:

cheers :)

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 23:00
First of all apologies if this info is some where else, ive searched and cant find much.....and i aint logged on here in a while.

Discounting the fact that im not sure that 50mb is available in Sunderland yet (Virgin promised to email me but i havent had anything yet!!) the prices are confusing me.

Firstly, i'll admit that in my naivety, the email i got months ago from "Branson" ;) stating "Every year we’ve upgraded our broadband speeds for free - in 2007 we upgraded our customers on 10Mb to up to 20Mb, last year we upgraded all our customers on 4Mb to up to 10Mb. With the launch of our 50Mb broadband this year, the possibilities are virtually limitless. Who knows what speeds we’ll be able to bring to you in the future. But rest assured – since you’re on the fibre optic network, you’re on the right network. " Had me thinking those nice people at Virgin were upgrading XL customers for nothing to 50mb (upon reread it doesnt look that way!)

Secondly, this link
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/existing_customer.pl
States 50mb is £50 a month. (I currently pay £35 for the BB part of my XL package).

But, this link
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)
states that the price is £35 a month (what i pay now for 20mb) plus has the condition "*Plus a Virgin Phone line for £11 a month."
But i already have a Virgin phoen line......i have the XL package!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
The next to that it states £50 a month without the phone line!!

Can someone please tell me in laymans terms what the hell the price would be for me....again apologis if this has all been done before!:dunce:

cheers :)

Maxie We haven't been upgraded yet. I checked last week.

Maxie
24-06-2009, 23:11
Maxie We haven't been upgraded yet. I checked last week.

I rang CS tonight, but they said the systems were down so couldnt tell me.
So.....if/when its upgraded.....whats the price???

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 23:21
I rang CS tonight, but they said the systems were down so couldnt tell me.
So.....if/when its upgraded.....whats the price???

As I see it at the moment if you have a phone line already it will be 35 quid ( sorry about keep using "quid" here but my keyboard has lost the pound sign), And 50 quid if you don't have a VM phone line.

I really do understand your ( and my) confusion over the pricing that they put out every month. I do believe that we as standing customers should have deals that are for us, Not for dragging in new customers.

DigitalShadow
24-06-2009, 23:31
sorry about keep using "quid" here but my keyboard has lost the pound sign

Tried "Alt Gr + 4" ?

Ben B
24-06-2009, 23:32
Tried "Alt Gr + 4" ?

If you want the euro € symbol then yes....

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 23:36
Tried "Alt Gr + 4" ?

LOL Thanks. Sent. ( in high voice) " DigitalShadow is my hero"

Maxie
25-06-2009, 20:53
So, is that confirmed then...when 50mb rolls out in your area, its no price difference if youre on the XL broadband package (as im on VIP XL)??
what do you have to do to get it??

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Northeastuser......just rang Virgin, and it is an extra £10 a month, but it is available in sunderland now!!

Kymmy
25-06-2009, 20:59
Whether you are an old customer or new the price of 50Mb is £50 or £46 including the phone line. There are also other prices for people on VIP packages (Xtra tenner I beleive)...

Just remember that there is also the installation charges even if you're already on XL

DigitalShadow
25-06-2009, 21:05
If you want the euro € symbol then yes....

Sorry, but please think things through first, the person in question i presume has a UK keyboard, and as such he was trying to do "shift+3" to get a £ symbol, however this wasn't working.

So i thought that when windows is installed on computers, a common oversight is to not change the keyboard language, I thought to myself, his keyboard is set to US not UK, and as such "Alt Gr + 4" would get you a £ symbol

Perhaps they should change their language from US to UK in settings.

Maxie
25-06-2009, 21:12
Whether you are an old customer or new the price of 50Mb is £50 or £46 including the phone line. There are also other prices for people on VIP packages (Xtra tenner I beleive)...

Just remember that there is also the installation charges even if you're already on XL

Been told its an extra £10 on top of my £88 VIP XL package. Plus £20 and £30 for install/activiation.....but the cust service rep is gonna ring me back next week to get my details (once ive decided) and will knock the £30 fee off for me!!

Kymmy
25-06-2009, 21:17
If you'd said from the start that you were a VIP customer then myself or others could have told you that it was £10 extra ;)

Ben B
25-06-2009, 21:22
So i thought that when windows is installed on computers, a common oversight is to not change the keyboard language, I thought to myself, his keyboard is set to US not UK.

Actually, unless it is a custom build it will be pre-set to English UK and
Perhaps they should change their language from US to UK in settings.

yes that would be advisable, though why you didn't suggest this in the first place I don't know because it would benefit the OP as other incorrect keys would be fixed.

DigitalShadow
25-06-2009, 22:21
Actually, unless it is a custom build it will be pre-set to English UK

Yes... and his is set to US, could it be a custom build.... does it matter....

and

yes that would be advisable, though why you didn't suggest this in the first place I don't know because it would benefit the OP as other incorrect keys would be fixed.

Lazyness

Ben B
25-06-2009, 22:27
Fair enough i suppose....