PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

Roseblue
24-06-2009, 21:05
Hi! Everyone. I have a question. I have had no problems with Virgin broadband until last weekend. I had one of my grandsons stay over and he downloaded a lot of music. Since then my connection to the net has been very, very slow. My question is this… Could the connection be so slow because I exceeded my ‘bandwidth allocation‘ or whatever you call it. I’m not sure what it is and have never had cause to question it before. I heard about bandwidth and speed tests but I don’t really understand any of it. I just want the net to run like it did before.

Ben B
24-06-2009, 21:07
Hi,
If you were capped it would have been lifted after 5 hours of him going over the limit. What broadband tier are you on and did he download via file sharing or pay for the music?

Ben :)

Roseblue
24-06-2009, 21:14
I’m not sure, he’s 16 and I wasn‘t paying attention. Sorry to be so dence but I don’t know what ‘broadband tier’ is.

bzqtmg
24-06-2009, 21:14
As ben said, if you go over the limit your speed gets limited, but returned to normal after 5 hours. The limits are quite hard to exceed if you grandson only downloaded music. This would lead be to believe that he may have downloaded a virus. You have to be careful on the internet if you download music from places other than establioshed websites.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

what speed is your broadband?

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 21:17
Hi! Everyone. I have a question. I have had no problems with Virgin broadband until last weekend. I had one of my grandsons stay over and he downloaded a lot of music. Since then my connection to the net has been very, very slow. My question is this… Could the connection be so slow because I exceeded my ‘bandwidth allocation‘ or whatever you call it. I’m not sure what it is and have never had cause to question it before. I heard about bandwidth and speed tests but I don’t really understand any of it. I just want the net to run like it did before.

Do you have any P2P software on your machine?

Roseblue
24-06-2009, 21:22
What is P2P?

Since then the net has worked for a little while though really slow until it goes completely and then comes back in a couple of hours. The power light on the modem was flashing for the last few hours and now it’s on again but pages are still loading very slowly. I have called Virgin a few times this week and I have also emailed them from ’contact us’ on their website where my account is registered. They emailed back and suggested a few tests but they didn’t work. I can go into more detail about the tests if needed.

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 21:31
What is P2P?

Since then the net has worked for a little while though really slow until it goes completely and then comes back in a couple of hours. The power light on the modem was flashing for the last few hours and now it’s on again but pages are still loading very slowly. I have called Virgin a few times this week and I have also emailed them from ’contact us’ on their website where my account is registered. They emailed back and suggested a few tests but they didn’t work. I can go into more detail about the tests if needed.

I guess that saying he is only 16 and that he was downloading music on your computer that he's been using file sharing. (P2P= person to person). I recommend you download and install then run "malwarebytes" I hope it's OK to put a link to it here staff as I use it and it's good imho.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

EDITED TO ADD: This program will search your machine for any malware ( bad stuff) that may have been downloaded onto you machine.

Roseblue
24-06-2009, 21:35
Thank you. I'm going to try that.

Dai
24-06-2009, 21:38
What the people are trying to explain is that your teenager may have managed to get a virus while he was downloading stuff. It's very easy to do and some of the files available are deliberately infected to make this happen.

I have a computer business that involves a lot of cleaning up the mess left by unwary kids. I can assure you that this sort of thing is very common and will cause the slowdown that you are seeing.

You should download and run the malwarebytes program mentioned earlier. This may find and remove the problem. You should also make sure that you have a functioning anti-virus program installed and run a full scan.

Please feel free to ask more if you are uncertain.

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 21:38
Thank you. I'm going to try that.

It's a deep scan so it may take a while. Good luck Roseblue and I hope that it sorts it out for you.

Roseblue
24-06-2009, 21:44
DaiNasty,

Thanks. I'll definitely check that out while things seem to be working and before it goes down again.

Northeast_user.

Thanks. Here's hoping.
I'll go do that now.

Northeast_user
24-06-2009, 22:13
DaiNasty,

Thanks. I'll definitely check that out while things seem to be working and before it goes down again.

Northeast_user.

Thanks. Here's hoping.
I'll go do that now.

If you have any problems with the program please post and I'll try and walk you through it.

greyposter
24-06-2009, 23:04
It's a fine programme. Thank you.

Horace
25-06-2009, 00:39
Take a quick look around for Limewire or Bearshare in the system tray (next to the clock) or in Start/Vista icon > Programs

Roseblue
25-06-2009, 04:31
I’m sure you’ll understand if I say I don’t want to speak too soon but… It seems to have worked.

There is no P2P on computer and no Limewire or Bearshare.

Feeling a bit guilty here, It might not have had anything to do with what the grandson was doing.

Thanks for all your help.

I’m going to stick around for a bit so if I have anymore problems I’ll be sure to call on you guys.

Thanks again.

Rose.

Northeast_user
25-06-2009, 09:11
I’m sure you’ll understand if I say I don’t want to speak too soon but… It seems to have worked.

There is no P2P on computer and no Limewire or Bearshare.

Feeling a bit guilty here, It might not have had anything to do with what the grandson was doing.

Thanks for all your help.

I’m going to stick around for a bit so if I have anymore problems I’ll be sure to call on you guys.

Thanks again.

Rose.

No need to feel guilty Rose, We've all been there at one time or another. Glad it's sorted out.

Roseblue
25-06-2009, 14:00
Thank you.

raybo62
25-06-2009, 16:25
uve probably now been classed as a high usage account and uve been cut down nawty boy lol :D

Roseblue
26-06-2009, 00:23
High usage account? How can I find out if this is the case. It went off again today for about three hours. I got a reply to my last email saying that they were testing my connection. It's going well just now but I expect it to go again in a couple of hours. My main thing on the net is forums. I've downloaded the occasional game but I don't download movies or music. I have been with NTL now Virgin for a few years and haven't had any problems whatsoever until now. It’s quite baffling. Oh well. I’ll get back to my surfing while things are working. Thanks again for the information.

moaningmags
26-06-2009, 00:28
Roseblue if you hover your mouse over each of the icons down beside the time, can you tell us what each of them are?
If he has been using file sharing programs it will probably still be running down there.

Roseblue
26-06-2009, 13:59
moaningmags,

It keeps going off so I'm posting this quickly just in case. It worked fine for a few hours last night. It has been very slow all day and the power light flashes occasionally. I took some screen shots of my desktop and of my drive space but photobucket is so very slow at the moment so I'll post them asap. I know it’s not the computer because… Don’t laugh but I had my daughter take the base to her house and check it out on her net which is BT and she said it was perfectly fine and is now trying to get me to change to BT. I also wondered if it might just be the modem. I have been using this one for about five years with no problems. Virgin are being really nice but no one seems to know what the problem is. I’m normally the only one on the computer and it only gets used for banking, forums, surfing the web and the occasional game. It’s been over a week now and I’m working out that it works for a few hours in the evening and the rest of the time it’s either very slow or goes off altogether. I live alone and I spend a lot of my spare time on the computer so you can imagine how frustrating is has become.

Oh! Almost forgot. There’s nothing on the task bar but Zone alarm.

joglynne
26-06-2009, 14:32
Hi Rose, as no one has got back to you yet you may as well get a bit more information for the techies to work on Follow the directions below (which I have shamelessly nicked from a post by Moldovia. :) )Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER.

If you are asked for a password and pin just use root and root.

Oh and a tip from me, ignore all the scary things in the Event Log as most of them are totally irrelevant to your modem.

...and finally do not change the password however tempting it may be as it's not necessary to do so and could cause both you and VM tech support problems in the future.

Roseblue
26-06-2009, 15:04
Thanks, Jo. I'll check that out. It went off again just after I posted that. Still can't get photobucket page to load. It seems to only want to run on this forum. lol

I'll get back to you once I've checked this out.

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Not sure if this is what you mean and I don't know what SNR is. Sorry.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000

Dai
26-06-2009, 15:11
Rose - You should be seeing something like this. Click the 'Downstream' item on the modem menu.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 49
Downstream Frequency : 307000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.4 dB

Cobbydaler
26-06-2009, 15:12
Hi, you need to click on the downstream & upstream items from the menu on the left hand side...

Roseblue
26-06-2009, 15:49
This is what I see now and it is loading okay again.
I wonder how it will read when it slows up again.

Downstream Frequency : 330750000 Hz
Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
Downstream Receive Power Level : 19.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.1 dB

Upstream Status

Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

joglynne
26-06-2009, 16:00
I'm not too good at interpreting the figures on the modem but they seem a bit out to me. I am sure someone will be along soon who can look at them properly.

Roseblue
26-06-2009, 16:17
Thanks, Jo. I'm on and off the computer all day and have never had anything like this happen before. My daughter is quite computer savvy and she’s the one I call if the computer acts up but she says it’s not the computer it’s the net connection. I have my sisters making fun of me and what I’m like without my computer. My monitor conked a couple of months ago and my two sisters arrived at my door with spare monitors because.. “We know what your're like.” I still have one of them in the cupboard. My daughter calls me daily to see if it’s fixed yet. Then adds, “Christ you must be climbing the walls.” Such a lovely caring family. lol

Thanks everyone for your support, your patience and you advice.

Peter_
26-06-2009, 16:44
Downstream Receive Power Level : 19.4 dBmV Way to high you need an engineer visit to fix that.

It was never your grandson causing your issue it is that high downstream, so please call Tech Support on the numbers below to get an engineer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Hi Rose, as no one has got back to you yet you may as well get a bit more information for the techies to work on Follow the directions below (which I have shamelessly nicked from a post by Moldovia. :) )

Its Moldova no i :D but good call.;)

...and finally do not change the password however tempting it may be as it's not necessary to do so and could cause both you and VM tech support problems in the future.
Its OK I can unlock them for those foolhardy people.

joglynne
26-06-2009, 16:53
Sorry Mol. Don't know why I gave you a new nationality I guess it was nerves, and a guilty conscience, after using your post without getting your approval. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/03/9.gif

Peter_
26-06-2009, 17:01
Sorry Mol. Don't know why I gave you a new nationality I guess it was nerves, and a guilty conscience, after using your post without getting your approval. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/03/9.gif

I have no problem with anyone using any information I post as all they are doing is helping someone.

roger_chef
26-06-2009, 17:38
hi just had a skim through the thread, rosebud u said the only thing running was zone alarm? Is that the one which includes antivirus, not just the firewall?
btw - moving to bt will be more hassle than its worth :) ive recently moved away from bt/sky because of all the problems i had with them and how rude they were to me! VM seem so much nicer I know alot will dissagree but just view

Roseblue
27-06-2009, 01:05
roger_chef,

Yes. I have Zone Alarm running. Sorry, I know it’s taking a terrible chance but I haven’t had any problems with net till now. I'm not too keen to change net providers. I'll email Virgin with what Moldova said about 19 being very high.

Thanks, Moldova.

Ben B
27-06-2009, 01:11
Use the newsgroups, replies are much quicker and they can arrange a tech to sort it for you. How to set up: http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/ and the newsgroup you want is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Hope this helps :)

Roseblue
27-06-2009, 01:17
Ben,

Thanks. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Peter_
27-06-2009, 07:45
roger_chef,

Yes. I have Zone Alarm running. Sorry, I know it’s taking a terrible chance but I haven’t had any problems with net till now. I'm not too keen to change net providers. I'll email Virgin with what Moldova said about 19 being very high.

Thanks, Moldova.
Just ring them up after 0800 as the is nothing quicker than a phone call to get a engineer booked especially with a high downstream like that.

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Roseblue
27-06-2009, 08:03
Moldova,

Thank you. I'll do that a little later. I only have the net. I don't watch TV and I don't have a landline just my mobile phone. Can you give me a number to call from my phone or do I still ring the free phone number even if I know I'm going to get charged?

Charming
27-06-2009, 08:53
Just ring them up after 0800 as the is nothing quicker than a phone call to get a engineer booked especially with a high downstream like that.

Hi, Moldova, sorry to butt into this thread but I'm just very curious as to what an engineer does to correct these power levels?

Roseblue
27-06-2009, 09:19
Charming,

Hi! You butt in all you want.
Any answers you get might help me too.

Peter_
27-06-2009, 09:27
Hi, Moldova, sorry to butt into this thread but I'm just very curious as to what an engineer does to correct these power levels?
Puts a meter on your cable and then goes to the cab to adjust the taps to align them.

Charming
27-06-2009, 10:04
Puts a meter on your cable and then goes to the cab to adjust the taps to align them.

Interesting (not that I know anything about engineering, I'm from an IT background and trying to visualise what goes on).

So, how come these power levels get misaligned in the first place? Only speaking from a dummy's point of view, I would have thought they would be okay when the cable was originally installed into the household. Or do they get misaligned accidentally when an engineer comes to install cable into another household?

Peter_
27-06-2009, 10:09
Interesting (not that I know anything about engineering, I'm from an IT background and trying to visualise what goes on).

So, how come these power levels get misaligned in the first place? Only speaking from a dummy's point of view, I would have thought they would be okay when the cable was originally installed into the household. Or do they get misaligned accidentally when an engineer comes to install cable into another household?
I am not a install engineer and one of them will answer to better effect.

It can be the connection has become loose in the cabinet, the has been an engineer in who moved the cable for better access, degraded fittings and sometimes the modem or it can be the transformer in the cabinet.

The can be many factors and all we see are the results on our end that we cannot adjust remotely.

Charming
27-06-2009, 10:19
I am not a install engineer and one of them will answer to better effect.

It can be the connection has become loose in the cabinet, the has been an engineer in who moved the cable for better access, degraded fittings and sometimes the modem or it can be the transformer in the cabinet.

The can be many factors and all we see are the results on our end that we cannot adjust remotely.

Okay, I understand that now.

Peter_
27-06-2009, 10:21
Okay, I understand that now.
As I said one of the installation guys may read this and clarify or correct what I have posted.

raybo62
27-06-2009, 19:21
what they will do is cut your speed down if they think your are a high user

homealone
27-06-2009, 23:00

that is not an option in the street box - evidence of your assertion would be interesting??

Peter_
28-06-2009, 01:09
Could you actually clarify what you mean by the above quote, as Virgin only traffic manage you if you trip the STM limits within the timeslots.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Clarky_
28-06-2009, 05:23
Don't think he read the thread tbh

Peter_
28-06-2009, 10:10
Don't think he read the thread tbh
My thoughts as well:D

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 16:44
Well I couldn’t get on at all this morning and early afternoon. I called the help line and they very kindly called me back as I was using my mobile phone. I spent almost an hour on the phone with a very nice man who tried real hard to help me find out what the problem was. He suggested a few things, mostly stuff I had tried already and we did a few tests including a speed test from here http://www.speedtest.net/ , the page took ages to load. I told him it was taking a while to load and when it did load and the speed test was done, I gave him the results and he said that my connection was fine. I thanked him and came of the phone but when I tried to get on the net it had gone again. When I managed to get back on I did another speed test and this is what I got after 3 tries. Can anyone tell me what this means regards my connection.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/8.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/9.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/10.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

There is a payment due to be paid by DD tomorrow. After that payment, if things are still the same, I am seriously thinking about giving them the thirty days notice and having it terminated.

Peter_
28-06-2009, 16:46
Its the power levels that will tell us more

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 16:56
Thanks. These are the things he asked me about. Will I get the power level on the speedtest page? If so I'll do another speed test and take note of that.

Peter_
28-06-2009, 17:16
Thanks. These are the things he asked me about. Will I get the power level on the speedtest page? If so I'll do another speed test and take note of that.
http://192.168.100.1/ the username and password are both root

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 18:07
Still looking for the power level. But I just noticed this on http://192.168.100.1/ (test page)

MAC address : REMOVED BY THOMAS T
But on the bottom of my moden the number is - REMOVED BY THOMAS T

Would this make any difference to net reception?

joglynne
28-06-2009, 18:12
Rose delete the part of your post from MAC to OB :30 just to be on the safe side.

dilli-theclaw
28-06-2009, 18:13
Mac stuff removed ;)

joglynne
28-06-2009, 18:16
Cheers Dilli. :D

Rose the details Molly wants are the same set you posted earlier. The ones with 19 in them.

He wants to see if the power levels have changed since the last time.

homealone
28-06-2009, 18:16
Still looking for the power level. But I just noticed this on http://192.168.100.1/ (test page)

click on the 'login' link in the left hand column to access the other pages - user/pass as stated is root/root

Peter_
28-06-2009, 18:22

No as what you are looking at is the Learned MAC address which is the piece of equipment your modem is connected to such as your PC or a router.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 19:09
Sorry about that I didn't know what it was.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

It went down again and I've just got back on.

Ben B
28-06-2009, 19:17
Sorry about that I didn't know what it was.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

It went down again and I've just got back on.

Regardless of whether you can get on now you need to go to http://192.168.100.1/CmDnstream.asp user/pass are root and post your downstream power level and SNR and also go to http://192.168.100.1/CmUpstream.asp and post your upstream power level so we can determine why you are having intermittent drop outs.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 19:41
Just got this -

Downstream Status

Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Receive Power Level : 19.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.0 dB
Cable Modem Status
Upstream Status
Upstream Burst Descriptor

Upstream Status

Upstream Transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Downstream Status

homealone
28-06-2009, 19:50
downstream receive is too high, downstream SNR is borderline - you need to get an engineer out to fix that ..

joglynne
28-06-2009, 19:59
I am sure Rose will not mind me saying that she has phoned VM on at least two occasions and tried to get them to send an engineer out but keeps getting asked to do speed tests. :shrug:

I have suggested that she posts her levels on the VM Newsgroups where they will have to address that downstream level, anybody got any other ideas of what she can do or what she should write in her newsgroups post?

Ben B
28-06-2009, 20:03
I am sure Rose will not mind me saying that she has phoned VM on at least two occasions and tried to get them to send an engineer out but keeps getting asked to do speed tests. :shrug:

I have suggested that she posts her levels on the VM Newsgroups where they will have to address that downstream level, anybody got any other ideas of what she can do or what she should write in her newsgroups post?

She should probably state that she is having intermittent drop outs on her connection and the speed keeps fluctuating and post her power levels as she has done in this post and the newsgroup team always get an engineer out if you are having problems that are caused by power levels. She will also need to post her username so they can bring up her account.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 20:08
I'm on the phone just now to tech adviser.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Says he'll send me a new cable modem.

Cobbydaler
28-06-2009, 20:13
He's fobbing you off, get a tech visit...

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 20:16
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q462/fairladyblue/scream1-fr.gif

joglynne
28-06-2009, 20:19
Post on the Newsgroups.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 20:24
Help! Okay I have this page up

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...guide_setupoe5

Now what?

joglynne
28-06-2009, 20:30
When I follow you link it is showing an error for me. Is it the page,

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up.php

or are you further through the set up routine?

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:31
Oh God!....I can't believe this.

This has been a 5 page post for 1 simple thing
a downstream power level that is 7 DBMV's too high.

You need an engineer for this. I really don't understand why these agents are not finding this. Especially if you said to them "My downstream power level is 19".

if you said that to me, i would have booked an engineer with no questions asked.

it "HAS" to be that power level. Its way to high...

Forget about the newgroups and what everyone else is saying to you at the moment. The people that have advised you of the Downstream Power Level being too high are correct.

Give Tech Support a call and say "Hi, Im having intermittant connection, its dropping out quite a bit and one thing i have noticed is my downstream power level is away up at 19dmbv, Aint it supposed to be between -12 and +12?"

If you do not get an engineer for that request to speak to a manager.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 20:32
It was a different page but I now have that one up.

joglynne
28-06-2009, 20:37
Right, I'm hoping someone else is on here who is more practiced at this than I am and who can help with this. Do you have Outlook Express, if so follow the instructions and come back to the thread if you get stuck.

LaineY. Rose keeps telling them that and is being fobbed off each time. Not every one feels able to challenge someone on the phone and demand to speak to a manager. Going through Newsgroups will make the tech address the real problem here.

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:38
Bad idea..

I work for VM and never once have i used the newsgroups or had to advise anyone to. its all about knowing what to say lol.

Read my post above Roseblue

Ben B
28-06-2009, 20:41
open outlook express or windows mail, click tools > accounts > click add > news(group) > type your name and click next > type your virgin email address > type in nntp news.virginmedia.com and click next > close windows and if it asks if you want to download a list of newsgroups click yes > once downloaded in the search box type virginmedia.support.broadband.cable > click subscribe > click go to at the bottom and then click write message at the top and then write your post

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:43
This is just totally confusing someone who does not need to be confused, its something a simple call will fix.

Ben B
28-06-2009, 20:46
This is just totally confusing someone who does not need to be confused, its something a simple call will fix.

They've already rang twice and have got nowhere newsgroups are the best plan imo

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 20:46
Oh God!....I can't believe this.

This has been a 5 page post for 1 simple thing
a downstream power level that is 7 DBMV's too high.

You need an engineer for this. I really don't understand why these agents are not finding this. Especially if you said to them "My downstream power level is 19".

if you said that to me, i would have booked an engineer with no questions asked.

it "HAS" to be that power level. Its way to high...

Forget about the newgroups and what everyone else is saying to you at the moment. The people that have advised you of the Downstream Power Level being too high are correct.

Give Tech Support a call and say "Hi, Im having intermittant connection, its dropping out quite a bit and one thing i have noticed is my downstream power level is away up at 19dmbv, Aint it supposed to be between -12 and +12?"

If you do not get an engineer for that request to speak to a manager.

I told the last guy I spoke to (at the back of 7pm) very clearly that I was on a Virgin Media Forum and that I had posted some test and had been advised that the power level was too high. I also passed on that I was having intermittent drop outs on my connection and the speed keeps fluctuating. I told him that it was 19.8 dBmV. He said he would send me a new modem because the one I have can't accommodate the 10mb that I am now receiving. ??

Could it be that simple?

A new modem?

He said I should install it and then give them a call.

He also said it would take about two or three days to get here.

Right now I'm trying to get my head around setting up a news group.

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:51
you don't need to set up the newsgroups.

He basically fobbed you off. (im really not impressed with that) You do not need a new modem.

Its the power level..

My personal advise to you be if possible give us a ring @ 8.05am tomorrow morning. Tell the agent your downstream power level is too high (19) and it all started when that jumped up. also tell them you have spoke to Virgin techs on cable forum and they aggree this is whats causing your problem.

this level needs adjusted. if you call @ 8.05am theres a chance you will get through to someone who has a brain.

I really feel i should be apologising on Virgin's behalf for this because its just not the correct protocol for this fault.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 20:55
Bad idea..

I work for VM and never once have i used the newsgroups or had to advise anyone to. its all about knowing what to say lol.

Read my post above Roseblue

I understand what you are saying. I think part of the problem here is that I'm Glaswegian and the three people I have spoke to over the last couple of days are Indian, I think. I’m having trouble understanding them and I’m sure they are having trouble understanding me. It’s so exhausting having to repeat yourself. :)

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Ben can I use windows live mail?

Ben B
28-06-2009, 20:59
I understand what you are saying. I think part of the problem here is that I'm Glaswegian and the three people I have spoke to over the last couple of days are Indian, I think. I’m having trouble understanding them and I’m sure they are having trouble understanding me. It’s so exhausting having to repeat yourself. :)

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Ben can I use windows live mail?

Yep, pretty much the same set up

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:59
I totally understand where you are coming from Rose.

I am from Airdrie which is not far away from Glasgow :P

Do you know if you are in an EX NTL area or a EX Telewest Area?

Regards

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 21:10
LaineY,

I live down south now. Virgin took over my NTL account.

Ben, I'm not sure if I have a Virgin email account.
I pay by DD.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

I recently set up for e-billing. Can I use that email address.

Peter_
28-06-2009, 21:17
Roseblue you can use any email address for Ebilling.

Call Tech Support tomorrow morning after 0800 and you should get a UK agent who will book a engineer as no modem will fix a apower level issue that high.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 21:27
I'm in the process of downloading newsgroups. Hope I did that right.

Moldova,

I’ll do that but how can I make sure I don’t just get put through to someone in India again?

Peter_
28-06-2009, 21:29

Moldova,

I’ll do that but how can I make sure I don’t just get put through to someone in India again?
The voice just listen for an english voice and if india insist they transfer you.

Ben B
28-06-2009, 21:33

Yep thats right, when it comes up with the list you are looking for virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 21:49
I have the newsgroup message page up.

What do I put here -

News server ?
Newsgroup ?
subject ?

And some help with what to post would be good.

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

Moldova,

Would emailing Virgin using the 'Contact Us' option on the Virgin web page work if I enclosed all these details that you guys have help me gather?

Peter_
28-06-2009, 21:53
I would wait till the morning now and call in as the newsgroups only stay open till 10pm so you wouold not get a reply till mid morning at least tomorrow.

Ben B
28-06-2009, 21:54
News Server: news.virginmedia.com
Newsgroup: virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
Subject: Intermittent Connection Problems

Something along the lines of:

Dear Support,
Recently I have been experiencing intermittent connection dropouts on my broadband. Below are my power levels and I have been told on an internet forum that my Downstream Power Level is too high.

Downstream Status

Downstream Receive Power Level : 19.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.0 dB
Cable Modem Status
Upstream Status

Upstream Status

Upstream Transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Downstream Status

Would it be possible for you to send out an engineer to correct the problem I am experiencing?

Thanks.

That's pretty much what I would put

LaineY
28-06-2009, 21:58
I suppose the ultimate question would be,

If she is in an EX NTL area aint the levels different
I only deal with the EX Telewest side of things.

Roseblue
28-06-2009, 22:00
Moldova,

Okay. I'm getting tired anyway. Thanks again.
Sorry for all the messing about.

Thanks, everyone.

Good night.

Rose

Peter_
28-06-2009, 22:01
I suppose the ultimate question would be,

If she is in an EX NTL area aint the levels different
I only deal with the EX Telewest side of things.
She lives in thre South East and her Downstream frequency is 331000000 who else can she be with.:D:D:D

Northeast_user
28-06-2009, 22:14
The voice just listen for an english voice and if india insist they transfer you.

This works Rose. I've asked myself to be put through to the British call center and there was no offense taken at all. Just ask the guy/girl you get through to.

Peter_
28-06-2009, 22:17
Moldova,

Okay. I'm getting tired anyway. Thanks again.
Sorry for all the messing about.

Thanks, everyone.

Good night.

Rose
Just a question Rose what model is your modem is it a Motorola or a Scientific Atlanta Webstar or an NTLHome.

Roseblue
29-06-2009, 08:46
Good morning, everyone.

Moldova,

Modem has a model number and says the property of NTL.

I called them and asked to be redirected and she said she couldn't do that and proceeded to ask me some questions. I'm ashamed to admit that I hung up.

This is what happened at 8.15 this morning. I ring this number 0845 454 1111, I have some options, I choose an option and then I have some more options, I choose an option and then I have some more options. When I finally got through she was speaking over the top of me and didn't seem to be listening. Who said it would just take a simple phone call. ??

Then I turn on the computer and it seems to be fine again, for now anyway.

LaineY
29-06-2009, 10:11
Rose,

Check your private messages

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Sorted :)

heheheh woohoo?

Roseblue
29-06-2009, 10:12
Thank you.

LaineY
29-06-2009, 10:20
No problem :)

aseriouscat
29-06-2009, 16:00
after reading the longest question in my life I just wanted to know what was done to resolve in the end?

Sounds like Lainey sorted it?

Roseblue
30-06-2009, 10:27
He’s just gone. Came at 10am, took twenty minutes to change and register a new modem and then left.

LaineY,

I don’t know what to say. Thank you.

I’m happy again and I’m going off to find some cheerful threads to read.

Sorry for all the fuss, folks.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Here's the new reading.

Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 42.2 dB

joglynne
30-06-2009, 11:26
Looking good Rose. :)

Roseblue
30-06-2009, 11:31
Jo,

Thanks for you help and support.

Everything is back to normal. :)

joglynne
30-06-2009, 11:47
You are very welcome Rose though you did give me a couple of scary moments, I've never, ever, sent a PM that fast before. :D

This thread has just proved to me yet again how marvelous this forum is and how much help VM staffers give to us. :tu:

Roseblue
30-06-2009, 12:17
Sorry for the scare. :)

I have another question.

Will I be charged for this new moden or the call out?

joglynne
30-06-2009, 12:29
Over LaineY's dead body. :D

Seriously though, no, there will not be a charge. :)

Roseblue
30-06-2009, 17:32
That's good. :D

Guess what?

The other modem arrived in the lunchtime mail.

I now have modems coming out my ears. :)

Only kidding.

raybo62
30-06-2009, 21:27
that is not an option in the street box - evidence of your assertion would be interesting??
if you are constantly downloading they will cap your speeds at anytime they want believe me ive seen it

Hugh
30-06-2009, 21:54
So you keep saying.....

(3 out of the 7 posts you have made) ;)

joglynne
30-06-2009, 22:07
if you are constantly downloading they will cap your speeds at anytime they want believe me ive seen it

Maybe you could post the results of a speed tests you have taken outside the STM periods to back up the claims you make in your posts. That's the easiest way to prove that what you are saying has some foundation. Any speed test will do as long as it shows the time.

homealone
30-06-2009, 23:00

No they won't - I 'constantly' download, but outside of the peak times when stm could be a problem - I have not been 'capped' while doing so.

I'm still waiting for the evidence to back up your statements???

Roseblue
30-06-2009, 23:29
Well being 'capped' wasn't my problem.
It turned out be be the modem.

homealone
30-06-2009, 23:36
Well being 'capped' wasn't my problem.
It turned out be be the modem.

well you had a problem, which was, thankfully, solved - other people just have an agenda ;)

Roseblue
01-07-2009, 00:35
An agenda? How do you mean? People who cause trouble for themselves, people who make trouble?

frogstamper
01-07-2009, 01:01
An agenda? How do you mean? People who cause trouble for themselves, people who make trouble?

I think homealone is referring to the "usual suspects" who'll knock Virgin any chance they get.:)

Then again I could be wrong:): anyway I'm glad to hear you sorted out your problem Roseblue.

Roseblue
01-07-2009, 04:15
I can’t sleep. It’s too hot.

Thanks. And I agree, there are some people who make a bad situation worse by blaming others. I created my situation for a reason. I just couldn’t figure out the reason. The place was tidy, the laundry was done and the family had seen enough of me for the week. :D