PDA

View Full Version : Missing Master Socket

LesW
24-06-2009, 15:22
Dear Forum members
Could someone offer advice / suggestions regarding the BT main socket.

I recently ordered broadband for my mother and confidently went across to install the modem at her house. The first problem was I wasn’t getting a broadband connection light on the modem, now this has happened to me before on other places and nearly always is something to do with DIY phone extension.

In these circumstances my first action would be to couple the modem to the BT master socket, check it worked and then work my way out from there.
So having traced (from the outside) the path of the BT cable it enters by the door, but on the inside, instead of coming across a NTE5 Master Socket, I found a simple junction box. (See attachments)

My question is has anyone come across this before and should ( can I ) replace it with a NTE5 box.

Supplementary question – Do I need a splitter on every extension wall socket irrespective of whether there is anything connected to it?

Best regards and thanks

Les W

Graham M
24-06-2009, 15:34
We had a similar installation from 20 years ago, but they still put in a NTE5 Master socket at the end, does the main socket not have an engineer socket?

southwell
24-06-2009, 15:41
I take it that your mother has received the letter/email/phone call that the line has been activated for broadband?

LesW
24-06-2009, 16:00
Thanks guys

Graham M
All I can find in the house are the two extensions (wires shown across the floor). The wire coming from under the skirting board is, I believe, the one from outside.

Southwell
The upgrade to BB was about 6 weeks ago and having called the ISP they says its active.

Raistlin
26-06-2009, 11:18
That wire coming under the skirting looks more like it's come from the master socket, what colour's the cable at the point it enters the house? The incoming connections that I've seen are usually black/brown up to the master socket.

Tightscot
26-06-2009, 12:38
I Had a very similiar wiring setup - ie no NTE5 master socket, just a BT Junction box - it was BT cos it had the little man with the trumpet moulded into the plastic cover.

I bought a new master socket and disconnected the drop wire from the junction box. Then connected drop wire to the back of the master socket, and re punched my extensions into the front of the master socket.

All worked fine.:)