PDA

View Full Version : Planning on sitting CBT (Bike Test)

LaineY
24-06-2009, 15:05
Planning on sitting CBT

Hi guys,

I was just looking for a bit of advice.

I have been brought up around bikes and had a moped for years in my very early teens.

I know how to go a geared bike as my dad had a Honda NSR 125
and i got to drive about on it on a regular basis.

now that i have got a bit older (23) i have decided its time i got myself a hobby as my main hobby has been my pc for years.

i have been doing alott of thinking over the past 2 months and have decided i would really like to drive a bike. as the weeks have went on, i was watching Long Way Round and that totally hit the nail on the head for me.

Im concidering booking my CBT ASAP but im a little worried about it and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointer ..

for EG is it easy ?
should i get my own bike to sit the test?

I passed my Driving Theory Test 2 months ago and have been doing driving lessons but the idea of a car bores me and would only end up putting me out of pocket.

Im not a speed freak and if i was to become a biker it would be for to have a harley or a honda softail.. something that you can relax on and enjoy driving..

any info would be much appreciated
Chris

zing_deleted
24-06-2009, 15:09
Do you mean NSR 125 I had one of those when they first come out god it was slow so wish I bought RD125 gprs lol

LaineY
24-06-2009, 15:12
yeah sorry typo LOL
NSR 125 (SLOOOOWWW bike)

Pierre
24-06-2009, 15:21
I would suggest you find your local bike learning provider and see how much a 5 day course is.

I would suggest doing a full access course.

If the CBT provider knows that you're going on to do the full course you will almost certainly pass your CBT.

If you're just doing CBT only and are then planning to ride a moped or 125 bike then they are much stricter.

Anyway, why would you want to ride around on a 125 anyway?

You should easily pass your test on a 5 day course.

Then the worlds your lobster, there are absolutely tons of great bikes for new riders and well priced too.

Do it. you wont regret it.

zing_deleted
24-06-2009, 15:30
The RD125LC Powervalve not gprs (me noob)its ypvs used to do 105mph with the powervalve de restricted 2 stroke shear lunacy thats why (well it was for me when the rules were different lol)

LaineY
24-06-2009, 15:31
i dont want to ride around on a 125.

I would be planning to do the whole CBT thing .. get a 125 then move onto doing the full bike test and get a bigger bike.

if i can do the whole thing in a oner then i will.

I would quite gladly take it slowly but i do want to have my CBT done and passed before the end of july if possible

Kymmy
24-06-2009, 16:03
I'd suggest getting on a 3-5 day DAS - they'll do you the CBT on either your own bike or one of thier own and then they'll take you on one of thier own bikes (normally a GS500, CB500 or ER500) throught he full course..

Costs about 400-500 quid but mean that you end up with a full licence and never again have to take another test..

Getting back to the CBT it's really easy and it's just a course designed to make sure that you know what a bike is, how to basically use the controls and then a short road ride to see if you're semi-safe.. If you;ve ridden a bike before then it's about half a day, for those that haven;t then it might be a full day

Raistlin
24-06-2009, 17:07
Good luck whichever route you go down :tu:

Wanted a bike for ages (a CBR600 to be precise :) ), but it seems to be one of those things that I just keep putting off and may never do.

LaineY
24-06-2009, 18:15
i want to do this...

in all honesty after the advice its sounding a bit far fetched for me to do
especially where getting time off at work etc is concerned :(

i really want to do it. now im torn between a CBT with a 125CC or going the whole way..
spending the 500 quid and being away from home for a week.

its true what they say, if you want it so desperatly you will do anything. Im actually beginning to worry about how im going to do it now lol.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

right so if you do your CBT its valid for 2 years
Then what happens ? do you have to resit it or do you then have to get your full bike licence before the 2 years expires

i would quite happily get a CBT then a few months / a year later do the bike test..

any ideas?

Nidge
24-06-2009, 19:24
Planning on sitting CBT

Hi guys,

I was just looking for a bit of advice.

I have been brought up around bikes and had a moped for years in my very early teens.

I know how to go a geared bike as my dad had a Honda NSR 125
and i got to drive about on it on a regular basis.

now that i have got a bit older (23) i have decided its time i got myself a hobby as my main hobby has been my pc for years.

i have been doing alott of thinking over the past 2 months and have decided i would really like to drive a bike. as the weeks have went on, i was watching Long Way Round and that totally hit the nail on the head for me.

Im concidering booking my CBT ASAP but im a little worried about it and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointer ..

for EG is it easy ?
should i get my own bike to sit the test?

I passed my Driving Theory Test 2 months ago and have been doing driving lessons but the idea of a car bores me and would only end up putting me out of pocket.

Im not a speed freak and if i was to become a biker it would be for to have a harley or a honda softail.. something that you can relax on and enjoy driving..

any info would be much appreciated
Chris

Get out there and do it mate, I've not looked back since I passed my test 2 years ago, if you don't do it you'll only regret it. Good luck in whatever you choose mate.

AndyCambs
25-06-2009, 02:20
right so if you do your CBT its valid for 2 years
Then what happens ? do you have to resit it or do you then have to get your full bike licence before the 2 years expires

i would quite happily get a CBT then a few months / a year later do the bike test..

any ideas?

Says here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430) :

a DL196 certificate validating a provisional moped or provisional motorcycle entitlement lasts for two years - CBT will have to be retaken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the two year certificate life

Kymmy
25-06-2009, 09:11
It used to be that the bike provisional was valid for 2 years and after if you hadn't taken your test then you were banned from holding another bike provisional for a year..

Now with the better quality CBT the bike provisional doesn't expire but if you want to ride upto the 125cc then you also have to hold a valid CBT, as already said these expire after 2 years and need to be renewed...but can be renewed right after expiry..

LaineY
25-06-2009, 14:37
Right,

I took the plunge today and booked it £599

Its the course that you do the CBT / 12 hours of lessons then test
and if you pass it all

you can ride a 125 for 2 years then after that any bike you wish.

Wish me luck guys, CBT is on Saturday lol. im now extremely nervous and to be honest i dont want to be nervous about it, i want to enjoy it....

Kymmy
25-06-2009, 15:28
Errr Lainey, you're over 21, so the 2 year restriction doesn't apply for you that's why they call it the DIRECT ACCESS SCHEME (DAS).. As long as you pass the test on a bike with a power greater than 35KW you are then not restricted..

It's a far cry though to my day when I passed on a Kwak KH100 ;) Mind you I still ride a litlle black Kwak Scooter.. ;) :D :p:

LaineY
25-06-2009, 17:18
Restricted A2 Rider Training

£600

includes test free & insurance but excludes CBT and Theory

17 years plus:

Once successfully completing your test for you restricted license you may ride a motorcycle

which produces less than 33bhp. This restriction will last for a period of 2 years.

After this period you may ride any motorcycle.

This part of the training can only be undertaken if the CBT has been completed successfully

and you hold a valid certificate and a valid theory test certificate.

Training can be done on a 2 hourly basis at £35.00 per hour, insurance waiver £50.00

Test fee £120.00 includes training before test

------

Its not these guys im going with but im guessing its pretty much this course.. i really didnt take much in when i was on the phone to be honest i actually forgot everything lmao

Kymmy
25-06-2009, 17:27
What prices are the DAS, it's really the same training but on a more powerful bike.. You'll probably find that there's very little difference...Just that you're over 21 so might as well get it over and done with in one go... After that it's upto you what you ride

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

In fact checking on the prices £500 is really the usual price for a 4/5 day DAS course with the first day being CBT

LaineY
25-06-2009, 18:33
as far as im aware the full DAS is £699

LaineY
28-06-2009, 20:47
Yay...! i passed the CBT Test.

Didn't drop the bike or anything :)

Was totally comfortable, although to be honest when we actually went out on the road, for 5-10 mins i was a bit scared but thats all part of it.

im really happy lol

homealone
28-06-2009, 21:22
Yay...! i passed the CBT Test.

Didn't drop the bike or anything :)

Was totally comfortable, although to be honest when we actually went out on the road, for 5-10 mins i was a bit scared but thats all part of it.

im really happy lol

well done :tu:

Kymmy
28-06-2009, 22:10
:clap: congrats :clap:

But you still gotta long way to go before I let you ride my little black scooter ;)